Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-24-2010, 08:28 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Congratulations. It is a sweet package. I would seriously look at a DA 40 or DA 35. If you think the 16-45 is nice, either one of those will blow it away. Also, try to stay away from any of JSherman's threads as they will make you want lenses that you really (really) don't need.
Yes, Jsherman is the devil.

05-24-2010, 08:30 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Kalison might consider, the FA77 or M85/2.
05-24-2010, 08:47 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys!

Yeah I can't wait to get my first Pentax Prime, being so impressed with just a zoom... I can't wait to see what a prime will do!

I have been eyeing the FA 77 myself. Is that better than the DA 70? Aside from being wider and a little slower. The 77 just seems "right" nice reach and a 1.8
05-24-2010, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think the DA 70 is better over all... better CA, better bokeh, edge to edge better resolution and half price... not much slower but that is a negative...

05-24-2010, 09:29 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Congratulations. It is a sweet package. I would seriously look at a DA 40 or DA 35. If you think the 16-45 is nice, either one of those will blow it away. Also, try to stay away from any of JSherman's threads as they will make you want lenses that you really (really) don't need.
Yeah, I started looking at those threads.... not a good idea!

Yeah, my next will be a Prime. I can't wait!
05-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad you like the camera + DA16-45

QuoteOriginally posted by kalison Quote
Thanks guys!

Yeah I can't wait to get my first Pentax Prime, being so impressed with just a zoom... I can't wait to see what a prime will do!

I have been eyeing the FA 77 myself. Is that better than the DA 70? Aside from being wider and a little slower. The 77 just seems "right" nice reach and a 1.8
I have the FA77 and love it. Then again, I bought it used, so I didn't have to weigh high cost against my purchase as much as you might. Along with being generally sharper on the borders, the DA70 also focuses faster, making it better for casual candids. In its favor, the FA77 has a greater maximum center sharpness, is 1.8 versus 2.4, and has a little more range like you said.

The FA77 also has the advantage of having an aperture ring, so it's more useable on film cameras (The DA70 can be used on film cameras that have the ability to control the aperture without an aperture ring)

Pentax SMC-DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited - Review / Test Report

Pentax SMC-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited - Review / Test Report

It's one of those debates where both lenses are really close in performance, so you can't go wrong with either really, but since they are so close people will endlessly debate one versus the other.

You can find some photo samples from these two lenses in the following threads and other places as well of course:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/59538-fa-limited-club.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/74194-da-limited-club.html

I must warn you ahead of time. Once you buy your first Limited lens, you almost certainly will be tempted to buy another.
05-24-2010, 10:24 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Urkeld!

Its taking all my will power not to press the BUY button for the DA 70! I need to hold off just a week and make sure I am not in NTS.... New Toy Syndrome.

Its sooo hard not to drop the cash!

05-25-2010, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You should enjoy your camera and lens for a while, see what you like and what you don't and save your pennies.

Then buy the FA Limited trilogy and be in heaven. The only reason to buy the DA70 over the FA77 is money, and the price difference between the two is not that great if you shop around. Having the extra DOF control and the magical something that the FA Limiteds bring to a picture is definitely worth it. I think it is impossible to find better auto-focus lenses. And likewise impossible to find ones so compact and usable.

If you want to pay a lot more and restrict yourself to larger manual focus lenses then there are excellent choices from Zeiss and Voigtlander.
05-25-2010, 08:43 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just recieved the M 50 1.7

So I just got this off eBay today. I had to rush out the door because we were going to get some dinner and hang out... so like an impatient child I of course took it with me!

Here are just some silly shots with it so far. Not bad for something I spent less than 30 bucks on. These area all untouched from the camera other than converting to jpg. (okay, I lied the light is changed to black and white with blue filter) I was really trying to tax the camera's low light tonight.

Going to be putting the 16-45 to the test this weekend... from there I am going to be buying my first limited glass

QuoteQuote:
You should enjoy your camera and lens for a while, see what you like and what you don't and save your pennies.

Then buy the FA Limited trilogy and be in heaven. The only reason to buy the DA70 over the FA77 is money, and the price difference between the two is not that great if you shop around. Having the extra DOF control and the magical something that the FA Limiteds bring to a picture is definitely worth it. I think it is impossible to find better auto-focus lenses. And likewise impossible to find ones so compact and usable.

If you want to pay a lot more and restrict yourself to larger manual focus lenses then there are excellent choices from Zeiss and Voigtlander.
Thanks rparmar for the extra info. I was picking the DA 70 because of its uniform sharpness corner to corner. However I will look at the FA77 again, since it was one of my original choices.

Last edited by kalison; 05-25-2010 at 09:44 PM. Reason: many mistakes :P
05-25-2010, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Evening & Welcome to the Forum!

I see that you already like your K7 and the 16-45. I don't know how you feel about the wider end, however if you like the 16-45 you will love both the 12-24 and the 31 Ltd. Both lenses produce the Pentax colors.

The DA 12-24/4 has better resolution and is sharper than the 16-45. Same construction and feel, but larger - especially the front lens element.

The FA 31/1.8 Ltd has even better resolution and is even sharper still. All metal construction and is superb in every way. A real precision instrument.

It certainly appears that we have another convert!
05-25-2010, 09:38 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Evening & Welcome to the Forum!

I see that you already like your K7 and the 16-45. I don't know how you feel about the wider end, however if you like the 16-45 you will love both the 12-24 and the 31 Ltd. Both lenses produce the Pentax colors.

The DA 12-24/4 has better resolution and is sharper than the 16-45. Same construction and feel, but larger - especially the front lens element.

The FA 31/1.8 Ltd has even better resolution and is even sharper still. All metal construction and is superb in every way. A real precision instrument.

It certainly appears that we have another convert!
Hey thanks!

Yeah the 31 was on my list too! I just wish I could get them all!!!

I am interested in the wider end... when in Canon I was looking at a Tokina in that range and almost bought it! Mark down another piece of glass

16-45 and 12-24... Hmm... I think I am going to get my first limited, then I am going to come back to that 12-24. I love ultra wides.
05-25-2010, 10:06 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Glad to see you are having fun with your gear!

Just out of curiosity, why did you ditch your 50D and L glass?
05-25-2010, 11:04 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kalison Quote
Hey thanks!

Yeah the 31 was on my list too! I just wish I could get them all!!!

I am interested in the wider end... when in Canon I was looking at a Tokina in that range and almost bought it! Mark down another piece of glass

16-45 and 12-24... Hmm... I think I am going to get my first limited, then I am going to come back to that 12-24. I love ultra wides.
The story goes that both Pentax and Tokina collaborated on the 12-24, who did exactly what is up to speculation, however they differ in the barrel design, the AF clutch and the Pentax SMC coatings. The collaboration also extended to the 10-17 FE, 16-50 and 50-135. It is a wonderful piece of glass. The 31 Ltd is the diagonal measurement of the APS-c sensor, while the 43 is the diagonal measurement of the 35mm film frame. The 43 was suppose to be the more perfect 50mm. One of the Pentax lens designers convinced management to let him have free reign - and thus the FA Limited series.

One thing that you will find that Canon didn't offer was image stabilization in the wide angle focal lengths. I like late evening using my 12-24, and I find that the SR helps when handheld, however I have just gotten in the habit of hauling my tripod around. Obviously there is a limit to the amount of assistance SR provides in low ambient light - especially in the evening.

It certainly appears that you are enjoying your new acquisition. Have fun!!

Last edited by interested_observer; 05-25-2010 at 11:09 PM.
05-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 31 Ltd is the diagonal measurement of the APS-c sensor, while the 43 is the diagonal measurement of the 35mm film frame.
A small correction: 28mm is the diagonal of the APS-C sensor. Since 28mm focal lenses were popular in film days, it's especially odd that there is no "normal" lens available from Pentax for their digital cameras.

(The FA31 measures at 32mm which is too far off 28mm for me.)
05-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The DA 12-24/4 has better resolution and is sharper than the 16-45.
I'm not sure where that comes from. Photozone shows they have virtually identical resolution at 16mm (suprising) and the 16-45 is well ahead at 24mm (not surprising).