Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2010, 09:30 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I have only just found this thread now -- I went looking for it because the survey bugged me so much. First of all, the bad grammar: "I have no interest for it" should be "I have no interest in it". Seeing that repeated dozens of times was aggravating.
Sorry for that. As an excuse, English is not my first language.

QuoteQuote:
It is odd that there is a plain "Yes, I own this lens." with no further comment but there is not a similar choice for "No."
Yes this is a flaw, in the sense that I don't think there should be a vanilla 'no', but rather that there should not have been a vanilla 'yes'.

QuoteQuote:
There are lots of choices but not the ones I generally wanted. How about "I would buy it if I found a good deal"? That would be my most common reply.
The problem with that option would be that nearly everyone would choose that for nearly every lens. This would result in rather uninteresting statistics.

QuoteQuote:
Many of the choices are not properly exclusive. For example there are some lenses I used to own and which are also on my wishlist. Not sure how to choose between those two options. Maybe it should have said "used to own but did not like it". But it think the real problem is you cannot reduce all the choices down to one question per lens. There should have been more than one, so the options would have been shorter and simpler. I would have actually been easier to fill out then.

(Just some ideas for next time, if there is a next time.)
Although this is very valid critiscism, asking questions with checkboxes (such as the very first question about bodies) would be very time-consuming to analyse. Being forced to choose just one option makes analysing a _lot_ easier.

In the final 'report' I'll include some suggestions for a next iteration of this survey.

05-22-2010, 09:40 AM   #62

The problem lies in the wishlist. I f e think Pentax has an obvious hole in the linup for a 24-105 zoom (or so about) with weather sealing, reasonably fast and with really good optics. This is needed to compliment the 12-24 in a two-lens setup.
05-22-2010, 09:47 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I'd agree Ash and answered that way for SDM lenses. There's no way I'd recommend one right now but would if they were SDM II.

I'd like to see heavy participation and then have the results sent to Pentax. Next time we do this, at the very end, there should be a dialog box: Any further opinions or comments? Limit it to 500 words or something.
Me three!

NaCl(I seem to agree with peter z alot!)H2O
05-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #64
Site Supporter

why L lenses only?

Maybe this point has already been made, but the substitution of DA L lenses for their "older" DA equivalents when both are still available eliminates the "favorite lens" option for the non-L lens - for example, the DA 55-300 could qualify as a favorite lens, where I would never buy the L version.

05-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #65

Great work so far with the survey, I look forward to see the results! Any chance Pentax will actually listen to the suggestions?
05-22-2010, 10:40 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by penolta Quote
Maybe this point has already been made, but the substitution of DA L lenses for their "older" DA equivalents when both are still available eliminates the "favorite lens" option for the non-L lens - for example, the DA 55-300 could qualify as a favorite lens, where I would never buy the L version.
It's DA(L) as in either the DA or the DA L. I didn't think it was worth making a distinction between the two.

Last edited by kevinschoenmakers; 05-22-2010 at 11:03 AM.
05-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
Sorry for that. As an excuse, English is not my first language.
Fair enough. I am surprised no-one else caught it before going live. Though I have found that many English speakers are not so confident about their own language.
05-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In other news, we now have one thousand participants!

05-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #69

Fast Glass

When i started using Pentax equipment the contest was with Nikon. the question was who has the better lenses. since the demise of Super Takamar Lenses I wonder what will happen to Pentax. Software and sensors are moving forward but your lenses are moving the other way. I have 4 old lenses that have been to war and back I am not sure my digital equipment would do so well. Having said all this i am not about to change Pentax is the equipment for me and i am buying up as many old lenses as i can to have the glass my images need.
05-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #70
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good effort Kevin & Adam, I imagine Pentax will have more than a curious look at the results.

I was at a country show/fair recently and was unsure what lens to take, so in the end opted for versatility and took the Sigma 18-125 as a trial. What I was hoping to achieve was to get a different take on events around the show, owners with animals etc, but not just your standard "pose" but more of candid / human interest shot.

Thank goodness the exercise was only a dry run, because I very quickly realised that the 18-125 was exactly the wrong choice. I had no use for the wide end at all and the long end was way too short.
Thinking about it as I walked around that day I think the 60-250 would be the weapon of choice. The 55-300 may do the job but it could be a little slow.

Cheers.
05-23-2010, 07:09 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Is the survey cast in stone now? I wish I'd seen this in development. A couple of my concerns have been raised.

- The 100-300 should have been 100-400. I haven't noticed people asking for a 100-300. We already have the 55-300 which has better range, the same aperures and is offered at two price points. OTOH the lack of an affordable Pentax super long zoom like a 100-400 is a common complaint in the various Pentax forums.

- The grammar issue: "I have no interest 'in' it" was mentioned. This really must be corrected.

- Also, there were several comments that the statement didn't quite apply. I have interest in and admire many of the lenses in the survey, but they don't meet my current needs. Saying "I don't own this lens, and do not plan to buy one" more accurately describes my situation. "I have no interest" is uncomfortable because it is too strong and therefore not quite accurate.

- It doesn't matter much to me, but I wondered why some discontinued lenses are in the survey (16-45, 18-250), but not the FA 35. I believe all of these lenses have been discontined but stock is still being sold.

- The second portion of the survey is very well done, but I wasn't able to voice my strong desire for a super telephoto zoom.

Anyway, great idea Kevin. Thanks for taking this on and thanks to Adam for hosting.
05-23-2010, 07:47 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Is the survey cast in stone now? I wish I'd seen this in development. A couple of my concerns have been raised.
Yes, it is too late to change anything now. But your feedback is very helpful for any future surveys (I'm sure there'll be more, seeing as this one is quite popular).

QuoteQuote:
- The 100-300 should have been 100-400. I haven't noticed people asking for a 100-300. We already have the 55-300 which has better range, the same aperures and is offered at two price points. OTOH the lack of an affordable Pentax super long zoom like a 100-400 is a common complaint in the various Pentax forums.
That's quite a stupid mistake, now that you mention it.

QuoteQuote:
- Also, there were several comments that the statement didn't quite apply. I have interest in and admire many of the lenses in the survey, but they don't meet my current needs. Saying "I don't own this lens, and do not plan to buy one" more accurately describes my situation. "I have no interest" is uncomfortable because it is too strong and therefore not quite accurate.
Good point, noted!

QuoteQuote:
- It doesn't matter much to me, but I wondered why some discontinued lenses are in the survey (16-45, 18-250), but not the FA 35. I believe all of these lenses have been discontined but stock is still being sold.
I wasn't aware the FA35 is still available new. I'm sure it's not my country (I looked at buying one a few months ago).
05-23-2010, 08:11 AM   #73
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
I wasn't aware the FA35 is still available new. I'm sure it's not my country (I looked at buying one a few months ago).
It's available, but I'm sure glad I bought when I did, at $300. Pentax FA 35mm f/2.0 AL - Canada and Cross-Border Price Comparison - photoprice.ca
05-23-2010, 08:50 AM   #74
Forum Member

The survey should also include teleconverters.
05-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fredok1 Quote
The survey should also include teleconverters.
Has been noted for future reference.
Closed Thread