Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Because of unexpected popularity we reached a big enough sample earlier than expected. Therefor the survey will be closed earlier than announced, on friday the 28th! After friday we will try to analyse the results as quickly as possible. A sneak-peak:
  • The K10D and K20D are in a neck-and-neck race for the top spot. However, many people who own a K10D also own a more modern model.
  • We love our limiteds!
  • Pentax, better start dusting off that old FA* 85mm f1.4 design!

05-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a few problems with this survey

1. It reads like an advertising survey. It only covers current and future lenses. The future lenses are preselected as, "Very interested" by default. It hints we should be very interested in anything Pentax might ever make. Myself, I don't foresee me buying a new lens for a long time.

2. It ignores one of (to me) the most important features of Pentax DSLRs: The much advertised backwards compatibility with every lens Pentax/Asahi ever made. If one is really interested in what lenses Pentaxians have and use and cherish the survey would include obsolete lenses.

According to the survey I have only three lenses whereas the actual number peaked at ten. Like many on this forum I started out with a K1000 so most on my lenses are not on the list.
05-23-2010, 03:24 PM   #78
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AFAIK the purpose of this survey is to determine how Pentax needs/should change its current lineup. We know that legacy lenses are being used and are amazing, but not much can be changed about their availability at this point. If you ask me, they should just take the easy route and start the FA* series back up- that would solve all their problems

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-23-2010, 05:43 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
I have a few problems with this survey

1. It reads like an advertising survey. It only covers current and future lenses. The future lenses are preselected as, "Very interested" by default. It hints we should be very interested in anything Pentax might ever make. Myself, I don't foresee me buying a new lens for a long time.
Google forms preselects the first option when there are few options, apparently. There's nothing I could do about this.

QuoteQuote:
2. It ignores one of (to me) the most important features of Pentax DSLRs: The much advertised backwards compatibility with every lens Pentax/Asahi ever made. If one is really interested in what lenses Pentaxians have and use and cherish the survey would include obsolete lenses.

According to the survey I have only three lenses whereas the actual number peaked at ten. Like many on this forum I started out with a K1000 so most on my lenses are not on the list.
If we had included every lens Pentax ever made, the survey would take half an hour to complete and we'd have very, very few people participating. And, as Adam said, the purpose of this survey is to look at Pentax's current line-up, where it works, where it doesn't, etc.

05-23-2010, 05:54 PM   #80
Pentaxian

I was too late

Still, that's what you get for living up here and actually taking photos in the weekend!
05-23-2010, 06:02 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I was too late

Still, that's what you get for living up here and actually taking photos in the weekend!
It's still open!
05-23-2010, 06:29 PM   #82
Pentaxian

Link? The ones in your posts don't work, and I can't find another.

05-24-2010, 02:22 AM   #83
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pentax Lens Research Survey
05-24-2010, 03:40 AM   #84

Pretty late here but would you consider adding the Samsung K-mount DSLRs here?
05-24-2010, 03:46 AM   #85
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shantz Quote
Pretty late here but would you consider adding the Samsung K-mount DSLRs here?
The survey can't be changed anymore (and really, does it make a difference?).
05-24-2010, 04:26 AM   #86

i'm somewhat surprised at all the carping. every multiple choice survey, test, vote (we just had an election where i live) i've ever participated in posed not quite the choices i wanted. so be it. at least someone got it together enough to do this survey. thanks for the effort. i hope the fact that you got so many responses in such a short time is also conveyed to pentax: should be taken as a sign of real interest among its customers in future lens development.

looking forward to seeing the results.
05-24-2010, 04:50 AM   #87

Nice survey

but just one thing to add about future lenses.. : only DAs are listed.
Why no possible DFAs like the recent 100mm macro? I'm selling my limited lenses
and replacing them with FAs LTD.

What I'm expecting from Pentax? DFA lenses (APS-C and FF) (with an aperture ring would be nice) and I guess future will lead Pentax there, even if it's in 5 years.

So if some DFAs were in the list, I would have checked them as on my wishlist ^^
Without a hesitation. This makes it also possible to use them on film SLR.

But maybe you had already a lot of work with this?
05-24-2010, 04:52 AM   #88
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did not include DFA options to avoid instigating a fullframe discussion.
05-24-2010, 04:59 AM   #89

lol, ok, no problem
But still the DFA 100mm macro was a good surprise.
Hope they'll keep going in that direction.

QuoteOriginally posted by patk Quote
a sign of real interest among its customers in future lens development.
Totally agree!!!! Pentax is somewhat behind compared to its competitors, especially in long
tele and macro lenses
05-24-2010, 06:11 AM   #90
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I like the survey, but there is one glaring omission:

The selection of "I don't own this because I would buy a 3rd party lens over this one."

If you don't own the 3rd party equivalent yet, you are forced to check off "I do not own it and have no interest" which in no way tells us why the person doesn't want it.

This omission would greatly help in seeing if people have 3rd party equivalent lenses on their wishlists over their Pentax counterparts. Too many lenses can get lumped into the "I have no interest" category without an accurate reason, and without knowing if it's because better 3rd party lenses are the factor.
Closed Thread