Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
I would disagree with that. Now we'll find out whether people, all else being equal, are willing to sacrifice build quality over price.
Good point. The problem is, how much cheaper can those ones get? For example when I grab canon's CHEAPO 50® I think "What are you paying $90 for?" But the $250 nikon's "cheap" 35 it doesn't feel cheap anymore, but it isn't that cheap either.

05-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #32
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Looks like the only thing we missed was a username field!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
So, the revised options list would be:
  • 1 Yes, I own this lens
  • 2 Yes, I own this lens but want to sell it
  • 3 Yes, I own this lens, I'd consider buying it again if it were upgraded
  • 4 No, I don't own this lens, but I used to own this lens
  • 5 No, I don't own this lens; I have no interest for it
  • 6 No, I don't own this lens; I have no interest for it because I own a third-party equivalent of this lens
  • 7 No, I don't own this lens; I have no interest for it because I own a manual equivalent of this lens
  • 8 No, I don't own this lens, but it's on my wishlist
  • 9 No, I don't own this lens; I'd consider buying it if it were upgraded
I'm missing
"No, I don't own this lens; I have no interest for it because I'd rather purchase a third-party equivalent of this lens".

Whenever that was the case, I chose #6.
05-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I'm missing
"No, I don't own this lens; I have no interest for it because I'd rather purchase a third-party equivalent of this lens".

Whenever that was the case, I chose #6.
Good catch, I should've included such an answer.

In general, please provide feedback. I'm sure in a few years time it would be interesting to redo a survey like this.

05-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I think it's a great idea. I filled it out. Is there any way to see the results live? Or do we have to wait until everything is compiled together and posted up somewhere?
05-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If all of those DA lenses under the Future consideration section were changed to DFA, I'd change my answers from "Not at all interested" to "Very interested". I'm planning on the introduction of a Full Frame Pentax body...
05-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I know this is late to the party but one option I did not see, and it might have been me, but in the "currently/previouly owned" section there was no option for "owned but sold/returned would only buy again if updated" which is my situation with any SDM lense after my expereince with a dead/dying inside a month 50-135...but that is just me.

Nice poll and should offer some good insight into what folks want...personally I think given the fact the K20D and K7 are sealed bodies, there needs to be more attention to a proven reliable level of SDM WR lenses. Right now, given the issues, even if they are under 10% of lenses with issues, I have little faith that they will last decades as their progenitors...I am not going to drop a grand on a 3-4yr lense...I would rather buy only one "other brand" lense that costs a couple grand which has a 15-ish year track record of lenses in this class which are still in use and working fine, rather than on 2-3 Pentax SDM/WR lenses I will be constantly concerned if today will be the day it dies. But no way I drop big cash on any Pentax lense until it has either a 4-6yr warranty and a non-micromotor SDM that lasts.

05-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #38

Looking forward to seeing the results.
You missed the DFA 100mm macro (non WR), btw.
05-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #39
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If the option to choose 'I have this lens / a third party equivalent on the way' as in the mail or via courier, I would have picked that option a few times. They could be favorites but I can't say for sure, so choosing the best answer becomes a matter of 'I own this lens'.
05-21-2010, 05:23 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by wowtip Quote
I miss an option in between "No, I don't own this lens; I have no interest for it." and "No, I don't own this lens, but it's on my wishlist.".

Also, for me many lenses on the list fall into the category "No, I don't own this lens, but I would buy it if it was much cheaper"
I agree... the difference for me is how deep my pockets are.. just because somthing's not on my wishlist, doesn't mean I have no interest in it.

Took the survey, look forward to seeing the results.

Nick
05-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Different beasts

These two lens ranges would be very different.
DA 135mm f1.8/2.8
DA 400mm f4/5.6
A 135mm f1.8 would require a ~77mm front element where as a f2.8 can get away with a 49-52mm front. The difference in weight and depth of field would be huge. Both might have a place in the range.
Similarly with 400mm, f5.6 would effectively be the DA300 with a 1.33 teleconverter on it thus ~77mm front end where as a 400mm f4 would be a tripod only proposition based on weight alone.

I answered, very interested for both but only for the big aperture reason.
And I would want them both weather sealed.
05-21-2010, 05:48 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I received a PM to look at this, but as I've only an interest in screw mount, it didn't appear to apply to me.
Cheers, Pickles.
05-21-2010, 06:09 PM   #43
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good going with this survey.
Took me 5 minutes as estimated.
Although there are lots of options already in the survey, they don't completely cover my own ideas of the gear and as such the interpretation of the results can be misleading.

Saying that I own the lens doesn't indicate whether or not I recommend it or not, which is not what 'I own the lens and I would purchase it again if it were upgraded' is intended to indicate. Nevertheless, it'll give potential buyers of this gear a fair idea of what users think of their lenses.

This is where the existing lens review database provides on top of a closed survey such as this, but well done for organising it Kevin.
05-21-2010, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I'd agree Ash and answered that way for SDM lenses. There's no way I'd recommend one right now but would if they were SDM II.

I'd like to see heavy participation and then have the results sent to Pentax. Next time we do this, at the very end, there should be a dialog box: Any further opinions or comments? Limit it to 500 words or something.
05-21-2010, 08:41 PM   #45
Forum Member

Thanks to Kevin, and those who made suggestions prior to launching the survey.

I love Pentax's prime lenses, and own and use a variety of them. Which should come across in the survey. Had there been a "comments" field, I could also have nominated the older lenses I love to use, and added some finer-grained material for further analysis (if anyone has the time in their busy schedules).

For example, on a recent trip, a zoom ideally 14 - 60-ish / 3.2 - 4.0, say, together with the DA* 200/2.8, and one of the macro lenses (DA 35/2.8 or D FA 100/2.8, though likely the former), would have comprised a close-to-ideal kit for me. Bear in mind that I carry a tripod, and am happy to run to-and-fro when taking frames incorporating me.

Anyway, this has been an _excellent_ starting point.
Closed Thread