Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-21-2010, 08:54 PM   #46
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
It would be nice to see 50mm f/2.8 Macro Weather Resistant lens in the future lenses category. Also I wouldn't be interested in buying DA-L lenses at all.

05-21-2010, 09:55 PM   #47
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
  • 1 Yes, I own this lens
  • 2 Yes, I own this lens but want to sell it
  • 3 Yes, I own this lens, I'd consider buying it again if it were upgraded
  • 4 No, I don't own this lens, but I used to own this lens
  • 5 No, I don't own this lens; I have no interest for it
  • 6 No, I don't own this lens; I have no interest for it because I own a third-party equivalent of this lens
  • 7 No, I don't own this lens; I have no interest for it because I own a manual equivalent of this lens
  • 8 No, I don't own this lens, but it's on my wishlist
  • 9 No, I don't own this lens; I'd consider buying it if it were upgraded
Personally I would like an option that I have the lens and I *wouldn't* buy it again. The current options don't give you any idea whether people are unhappy with the lens other than perhaps they want to sell it, but that could be for other reasons.

A comments field could also be helpful for this sort of feedback.

Rob
05-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Yep, I filled out the survey

I found myself clicking on the "wishlist" category for many lenses, not so much because I'm anxious to buy them, but because it's likewise untrue that I have no interest in them whatsoever.

There might be some value in adding a kind of "shortlist" to the end of the survey, to find out which lenses people are most interested in, and in what order.
05-21-2010, 10:58 PM   #49

I thought about this, but in the end decided that an option along the lines of 'I don't own this lens, but I kind of like it' would be rather hard to analyse. Where do you put this in your final conclusion, under 'this is a lens people really want, because they kind of like it', or under 'this lens isn't really much loved, people only kind of like it'? So in the end I decided to force people to make a choice between 'no interest' or 'wishlist'.
Yeah, I see your point, but to me "wishlist" sound more like "I am planning on buying this sooner or later" rather than, "I have an interest in the lens, but I will probably never buy it". It might be harder to analyze, but now I think you get lots of entries for "it's on my wishlist" when it is rather a lens people think is OK but would never buy, for one reason or another. But maybe that is the plan?

Maybe two - three options instead:

I will not buy it, because I don't like it.
I will not buy it, but I like it.
I might still buy it some day, but it is not on the top of my list.

Well I would certianly say that is a valid answer, I guess this goes for 90% of the people and 90% of the lenses, so that would produce rather uninteresting statistics.
Ok, but then it might also be the truth, uninteresting at is might be. But I meant it more as a price/performance indicator.

To me the DA15 would be a prime example (no pun...). It is a lens I would buy for certain, if it cost 3000 - 4000 SEK instead of the 7650 SEK it is now. Not so much an "I would buy every lens if it was dirt cheap"-option, rather a "This is a lens I would definitely buy if it was not (imho) overpriced"-option.

The FA31 is the opposite to me, I will not buy it because it is too expensive for me, but from what I have seen and read, it is worth every penny.

But anyway, it was not my intention of sounding overly critical. It will be very interesting reading the results. Thanks for putting the effort into this, Kevin.

Will you mail out the results, or a link when finished?

05-21-2010, 11:18 PM   #50

I found myself continuously being forced into ticking boxes that were not an accurate representation of my position/opinion. I suggest you pull this survey and reformulate it.

This type of survey is too black & white, perhaps it is impossible to get it right, I'm not sure, but a survey that forces people to give incorrect information is not going to be of much value.

When I submitted the form there was no confirmation and the form remained on the screen so I could have filled it in again.
05-22-2010, 01:21 AM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyC Quote
I found myself continuously being forced into ticking boxes that were not an accurate representation of my position/opinion. I suggest you pull this survey and reformulate it.
Me too. Specifically, while there's an option for "I own an older Pentax equivalent" there isn't an option for "I own a better Pentax equivalent" (why would you want a DA16-45 if you have a DA*16-50?). And what if you already own a third-party equivalent but would still consider buying the pentax version as an upgrade?

Rather than having mutually exclusive responses, it would be better if you had tick boxes for "own this lens", "own 3rd party equiv" etc. It would make completeing the survey easier and provide more useful information.

A big improvement in terms of the outcome of the survey as a whole would be to split the "wishlist" option into "I would like to own this lens" and "I intend to buy this lens". There's a big difference between having something on your wishlist and actually being likely to buy one.

Also, the longest/fastest future lens is only 400mm f4/5.6??
05-22-2010, 02:00 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by iCrop Quote
If all of those DA lenses under the Future consideration section were changed to DFA, I'd change my answers from "Not at all interested" to "Very interested". I'm planning on the introduction of a Full Frame Pentax body...
I did not include DFA options to avoid instigating yet another FF discussion.

05-22-2010, 02:01 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
I think it's a great idea. I filled it out. Is there any way to see the results live? Or do we have to wait until everything is compiled together and posted up somewhere?
For that I would have to give everyone the password to my e-mail account, so no We might show some information along the way though...
05-22-2010, 02:06 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
If the option to choose 'I have this lens / a third party equivalent on the way' as in the mail or via courier, I would have picked that option a few times. They could be favorites but I can't say for sure, so choosing the best answer becomes a matter of 'I own this lens'.
If I had included everything the list would have been a hundred options long for every lens. So indeed, your situation falls in the category 'I own this lens'.
05-22-2010, 02:12 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I'd like to see heavy participation and then have the results sent to Pentax.
After one night (well, for me), there are over 700 answers already. And I'll definitly send an e-mail to Pentax when we're done.
05-22-2010, 02:30 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Kevin
Great survey, a survey never cover everything.
05-22-2010, 04:14 AM   #57
Forum Member

Thanks for making the survey, would be very interesting to see the results. However shouldn't there be something like 100-400 f/4-5,6 rather than 100-300?

Marcin
05-22-2010, 08:01 AM   #58
Veteran Member

85mm and 135mm

What is the the likely possibility of pentax manufacturing a 135 f1.8? More likely they might make a DA 90mm f1.8 (135mm equivalent)... no? It would certainly be more affordable, and more affordable would mean at least a few more sales than a hugely expensive 135/1.8 (I'm not saying I wouldn't like to own the 135 version mind you, just don't know the cost and if I would really need one).

They've made the 50-135/2.8 equivalent of the 70-200/2.8 and the 55/1.4 equivalent of the 85/1.4
It would seem more likely to go with the aps-c version.

Then of course these could be D-FA versions too but in the APS-C size... D-FA 90mm/1.8 I think Pentax could pull this one off as a more likely scenario. How about adding this question to the list? Edit: scratch this idea, and stick with DA 90, a D-FA 90 would not likely happen.

Back to the 85, most are buying the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower/Vivitar/Polar version anyway, and I must assume that Pentax knows it.

Last edited by solar1; 05-22-2010 at 08:12 AM.
05-22-2010, 08:09 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just want to say that I just took the poll and I think it's brilliant. Well done and I look forward with interest to the results.
05-22-2010, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have only just found this thread now -- I went looking for it because the survey bugged me so much. First of all, the bad grammar: "I have no interest for it" should be "I have no interest in it". Seeing that repeated dozens of times was aggravating.

It is odd that there is a plain "Yes, I own this lens." with no further comment but there is not a similar choice for "No."

There are lots of choices but not the ones I generally wanted. How about "I would buy it if I found a good deal"? That would be my most common reply.

Many of the choices are not properly exclusive. For example there are some lenses I used to own and which are also on my wishlist. Not sure how to choose between those two options. Maybe it should have said "used to own but did not like it". But it think the real problem is you cannot reduce all the choices down to one question per lens. There should have been more than one, so the options would have been shorter and simpler. I would have actually been easier to fill out then.

(Just some ideas for next time, if there is a next time.)
Closed Thread