Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Missing close up "attachment" in SMC takumar 85/210mm zoom.

Just purchased this zoom....It should have a "close up lens", stored in the lens case lid.....but it's missing!
So, does anyone know the specs of this "close up" lens, (original Pentax info?) so that I could look for something generic/similar to replace it with, if I can't find an original item?
Cheers, Pickles.

05-21-2010, 06:02 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AFAIK this doesn't have to come with the lens, but exists as a separate add on. All it does is allows you to shoot things closer to the lens, but you would have to take it off for any tele shots.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
G'Day Adam.
As you know, I'm new here, getting back into Pentax again. I"ve had one of these lens before.....which I sold several years ago....but shouldn't have!
I've just bought another, & am yet to receive it, but I'm led to believe the close up lens is not there....I nevertheless bought it because it's said to be 99%, virtually unused with all original caps, box packaging etc etc!
But yes, the close up lens was part of the original package, it's included in the instructions, and the lens actually has focussing marks on the barrel for the close up "lens". The original case also has a "secret" compartment in the lens case lid, which houses the close up lens.
I was just wondering if anyone knew the specs of this attachment....if I can't get the original (highly unlikely), I'll have to find a generic replacement...but need to know the specs of the original first. It's not really a proper "lens" I suppose...it looks more like a filter.
The other thing is, that even if I had this "attachment", I guess I'd be unlikely to use it much, as of course there are better ways of getting close ups....still, I'm a stickler for originality, & just like to have things as they should be!
Thanks for your reply.
Cheers, Pickles.
05-22-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you are after another alternative ... get a set of cheap (not quality) M42 extension tubes ... i picked up my immaculate set of next to nothing ... this will make the lens close focus for sure.

05-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #5

I did a search in google and found nothing. Just a lot of posts about a tamron 80-210. But checking the lens reviews found that the lens has a 58mm thread. I know of two achromatic close-up lenses for pentax in 58mm, a 3 dioptre and a 1.8 dioptre lenses. The thing is AFAIK this were for pentax 645.
05-23-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe you'll find that the attachment is nothing more than a common diopter fliter.

Consult your lens instructions to determine at which focal length the attachment produced the 1:1 effect and use published charts that indicate the area of coverage with the various close-up filters to choose the correct filter. Then theres the optical formula method.

I would imagine that one or more of the close-up filters in the four-lens sets will provide your answer simply by trial-and-error experimentation with much less mental effort.

H2