Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

FA20mm vs DA15mm

other than the facts that one is a "limited" one is a Full Frame capable and there is 6 mm diffrence between them why would one choose one over the other? I have money and you know that damned LBA.

05-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't know the answer to your question. I don't even know if there is any answer.

But I can tell you this: 5mm (not sure why you say 6mm) is a lot! In terms of focal length, it probably makes more sense to compare the FA20 and the DA21.
05-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I don't know the answer to your question. I don't even know if there is any answer.

But I can tell you this: 5mm (not sure why you say 6mm) is a lot! In terms of focal length, it probably makes more sense to compare the FA20 and the DA21.
5mm is a lot in the ultrawide range. I agree that it would make more sense to compare the FA 20mm and DA 21mm ltd.

This is from a review in the lens data base. Keep in mind that the DA 21mm ltd is a pancake at 1" in length.

05-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I would say the FA is slightly better because of the FF coverage (better IQ on digital) and the extra half-stop. However, I have yet to test the complimentary DA 21 that B&H sent me for evaluation. I was originally just going to review the lens itself, but now that you bring it up, I think I will write a comparison instead. By complete coincidence, B&H also shipped me a DA 15, so we might have it go three ways and then determine a winner at the end!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I would say the FA is slightly better because of the FF coverage (better IQ on digital) and the extra half-stop. However, I have yet to test the complimentary DA 21 that B&H sent me for evaluation. I was originally just going to review the lens itself, but now that you bring it up, I think I will write a comparison instead. By complete coincidence, B&H also shipped me a DA 15, so we might have it go three ways and then determine a winner at the end!
Lucky you. Do you know if the FA 20mm got Ghostless Coating on the rear element? I suspect the ones after 1997 may have.
05-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

How exactly can you tell? Is it the rainbow-colored coating? If so, I can check for you Tuesday and let you know

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-21-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
How exactly can you tell? Is it the rainbow-colored coating? If so, I can check for you Tuesday and let you know
Compare it to a FA 43 rear element. There isn't much info available on this coating other than the ltd (43mm was the first) have it an select other lenses. This new coating used in the DA* 55mm is about as mysterious.

05-21-2010, 02:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
look forward to the comparison the 15 has been tempting my for a while now and of course when i have money a FA 20 should show up as well damn LBA
05-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
15mm vs. 20mm FOV

Don't have the FA 20 to compare to, but here's a comparison between the DA 15ltd and the M 20 f4 - this is meant to show the FOV difference between 15mm and 20mm:

M 20 f/4, DA 15:

M 20 f4:

DA 15ltd:

(I chose the M 20 f4 vs a zoom set at 20mm, because sometimes you don't know if the zoom is reporting accurately, could be 1 mm or 1/2mm off. Prime<->prime is a better comparison.)

EDIT: I know primes can be different FLs than advertised, also, but generally are going to be more exact than zooms.