Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
Inactive Account

kiron 30-80mm macro hazed lens

Bought a Kiron 30-80mm macro lens for my k20 from ebay. when it arrived the internal rear lens is hazed and it does affect the image. I got it for $50 including shipping and the seller agreed to do a full refund on the lens. my questions is it a pretty cool lens and most place I called said it might be able to be cleaned for $50 but wondering if it is worth $100 bucks? Any suggestions?

05-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wouldn't go for the cleaning. Get a new one if anything, if possible!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-22-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I got one of these lenses a few months ago and like it very much. I think it has good color and contrast and seems to deliver sharp images for this poor boy. I bought mine in a package deal that included a film body, two lenses and nice assortment of items really cheap. Not to mention my questionable tastes in lenses which means I cannot comment on placing a value on the performance of the Kiron lens.
If my copy were rendered useless, I would am too frugal and have enough other lenses in that focal range that I would not replace it. But if I knew someone looking for the lens, I would tell them $100 is too much.
Send me a message and perhaps we could make an arrangement so that you could borrow my lens for two weeks or so. Then you could see if the image quality and performance meets you approval and you can send me back my lens and make your decision.
For $50 it is an unusual and fine lens. To spend another $50 and a total of $100? I already have an FA 28-90 and JC Penny 28-80 "macro".
Of course if you like it well enough, you would be taking a chance on another one
05-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Or Monday I can post some sample images here. What would you like the subject to be?

That's my work in the lens review section, by the way. And I used the JC Penny 28-80 to take it's picture.