Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2010, 04:56 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by josera Quote
One question, my Pentax 16-50 f2.8 has two mechanism of AF: The SDM and the old one. Can you use your 50-135 lens with the old AF mechanism?
Depends on the camera. K100D (not the super), K10D with initial firmware are a few that don't support SDM and therefore use the screwdrive.
And you can short some contacts in the camera (I don't take responsibility if you damage your camera); see Peter Zack's thread ( https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/85877-i-broke-...t-happier.html ) where it happend by accident.

05-23-2010, 05:24 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gdog Quote
Exactly, excuse me for not been precise enough with my description
Ahh. I see. The question was really to address my own ignorance on the issues we hear about these lenses because I was shopping them on the marketplace to save a few dollars... However, the money saved compared to what you can get them new, isn't worth the risk of having a $700ish (avg used price) manual lens. Wasn't trying to be nit picky
05-23-2010, 05:52 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Depends on the camera. K100D (not the super), K10D with initial firmware are a few that don't support SDM and therefore use the screwdrive.
And you can short some contacts in the camera (I don't take responsibility if you damage your camera); see Peter Zack's thread ( https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/85877-i-broke-...t-happier.html ) where it happend by accident.
For that reason i revert my old K10D back to 1.1 firmware so to have a non SDM buckup body.

QuoteOriginally posted by 41ants Quote
Wasn't trying to be nit picky
Not a problem.
06-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Pentax are aware of this problem and should replace the motor.
I had a conversation today with the technician from the Greek Pentax service, he had some questions about the lens and the focusing problem because as he said the lens was working fine, after i described to him the symptoms he said: "the motor is the problem and we will replace it with a new one" he said also that they do not have motors in stock and they have to order one.
All of the above are in line with Bens post.

06-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Pentax are aware of this problem and should replace the motor.
Oh, but wait...There were people here telling us that there was no SDM problem...that this was an issue "invented" by a few disgruntled owners that banged their lens aganst a wall or something. In fact, one member here had a signature line that said "What SDM problem" in huge black font.

Where are those people now...

06-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
that this was an issue "invented" by a few disgruntled owners that banged their lens aganst a wall or something.
For 2 years now i am using my DA*300 with no mercy and works and looks like new but when i bought the 50-135 before 11 months i was treating it like a baby, where is the one and where is the other now.
07-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #22

Original Poster
50-135 on steroids

After 2 months i got back my lens, the repair was made in Germany. I tested the lens in my back yard and indoors and it focuses much faster than before with much less micro adjusments and also sounds different. A joy to use.
07-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I collected posts at DPR for SDM failure to try to understand the numbers involved. I was also interested in knowing if JohnCPentax comments about the issue on DPR really matched the facts.

QuoteQuote:
I certainly understand that there is concern regarding the SDM lenses, and it is something we are looking into, but many of these cases are people repeating what they have encountered over and over, and embellishing for the internet (where pretty much anything goes it seems and there is a severe lack of civility....but that is another issue).
SDM spreadsheet - Google Document

Lens - # of reported issues
16-50mm - 48
50-135mm - 44
17-70mm - 9
60-250mm - 1
55mm - 0
200mm - 2
300mm - 6
Number of lenses with issues - 110
Number of repeat failures (repaired lens dies) - 10

The last lens added was a 50-135mm that was 13 months old. It seems that a lens purchased 13 months ago isn't new enough to get those new and improved SDM modules. It really would be nice to have some solid proof of a change in the components and really really nice to have some way to tell a new SDM lens from and old one, if it really is true that there is an improved SDM module. Only time will tell for sure what is happening, so it seems we still are gambling when buying an SDM lens, unless, of coarse Pentax makes an announcement about the issue.

As to why so many of the 16-50mm and 50-135mm seem to fail, I would say, longer on the market and more likely to be owned. I think more people will end up buying the 17-70mm now that Sigma has updated their 17-70mm and the price has jumped to the almost the level of the Pentax, so I expect its number will start to reflect that.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 07-20-2010 at 12:02 PM.