Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #1

Kenko converter 1.5

The kenko converter PZ AF 1.5 with SDM contacts works wonderfully on all my Pentax glass except for M. 42! From what I can see Kenko and Hoya are the same. So why is Hoya not re badging this excellent converter as a Pentax unit. It is better then my Sigma EX-DG 1.4 converter. I also have it on my Sigma 500 mm F4 .5 and it is excellent! I don't know if anybody else in the forum is experiencing how good this converter is.

05-23-2010, 12:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
yeah its a top unit, works on my HSM sigma well and on normal screw lenses
08-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #3

Sorry to dig up an old topic. I got one and like the quality.
But in my K-x, the factor is not being taken into account. I mean, a 50mm lens still shows up in EXIF as 50mm, where I would expect 75mm. This in turn, I think, affects the SR distance also.
Any way to overcome this? Thanks.
08-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I suppose it might be possible to disable the lens contacts in a way that caused the lens to not transmit its focal length, meaning you could then access the SR menu to enter it manually. But mostly, that would also render it a fully manual lens in other ways, and you'd be better off simply using a fully manual lens.

Note this TC combined with the FA50/1.7 (the lens I assume you have in mind from your signature) is going to perform noticeably worse than shooting without the TC and cropping. That's going to be true of most lenses other than longer telephoto primes and the occasional high end telephoto zoom.

08-29-2010, 08:40 AM   #5

Marc, Thanks. So do you think that TC do not serve good purpose?
I bought this TC so I can use it with Tok 80-200/2.8 that is yet to reach me. I can understand that the quality will be worse than with out TC, but sometimes the reach is required. Don't you think so?
Just wanted to get opinions.