Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2010, 05:44 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
The answer when using a tripod (ie. shooting with SR "disabled") would have to be yes, the image sensor is centered -- otherwise the available range of compensation adjustment wouldn't be the same every time, as it'd depend on where the starting point was.

Obviously it's important for folks making the profiles to remember to disable SR (use self-timer with MLU).
Just to be clear (to people following the thread), using a tripod as such doesn't switch off SR, but indeed the 2 second self-timer with MLU does. In creating the profiles I posted here, I used that latter setting, so SR wasn't working in my case.

I can see falconeye's point (though I don't fully grasp his deduction of the algorithm ). I have never looked for and/or noticed the misalignment of my DA21, and I cannot say in what degree it's serious or not, but for me it isn't. As I have commented on the various places where I posted the profiles, I expect it normal that sample variation in lenses can have an impact on the profiles the specific lenses are used for, but I have no way of judging the nature of this impact (noticeable or not). I will follow this aspect of the thread with great interest and hope I'll end up understanding!

Wim

06-24-2010, 07:04 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
I will follow this aspect of the thread with great interest and hope I'll end up understanding!
Wim, my point in simple words:

If the profile creator detects misalignment (which every lens should have to a certain degree but pointing in a random direction), wouldn't it then be better to ignore the alignment parameters for any lens but the tested specimen?
06-24-2010, 08:07 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Wim, my point in simple words:

If the profile creator detects misalignment (which every lens should have to a certain degree but pointing in a random direction), wouldn't it then be better to ignore the alignment parameters for any lens but the tested specimen?
That's the part I did understand ... It's the part before your question that's not fully clear to me, but don't let that worry you. My understanding that is not really relevant.

Wim
07-01-2010, 04:53 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Right, I've got Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 3 installed, I've downloaded the 18-55(WR/II) lens correction profile that was posted here, and I've searched in vain for the folder Adobe suggests on their site.

I'm running Windows 7, and under 'users' on my system drive, there's 'Craig' and 'Public'. Craig has document/image/etc. folders, but only 'Public' has anything I'm looking for. It doesn't have 'Appdata' but it does have a folder called 'Roaming'.

I go into the 'Roaming' subfolder, then the 'Adobe' one, but then there's no CameraRaw or similar folder, just these:

Extension Manager
Extension Manager CS5
Extension Manager2

Anyone have other ideas about how I get CS5 and LR3 to recognise the profile?

07-01-2010, 05:31 AM   #35
Veteran Member

You need to be able to view hidden files and folders. By default, you won't be able to see "Appdata" in your user folder because it's hidden

Here's Microsoft telling you you how to view hidden files in Windows Vista. Other versions of Windows are similar, but not exactly the same.
07-01-2010, 05:32 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensScribe Quote
I'm running Windows 7, and under 'users' on my system drive, there's 'Craig' and 'Public'. Craig has document/image/etc. folders, but only 'Public' has anything I'm looking for. It doesn't have 'Appdata' but it does have a folder called 'Roaming'.
Some of those folders are hidden. Do you have windows explorer to show hidden folders and files in the "Folder and Search Options" in the Organize menu of Windows Explorer.

C:\Users\Greg\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw on my system.
07-01-2010, 06:46 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aerodave Quote
You need to be able to view hidden files and folders. By default, you won't be able to see "Appdata" in your user folder because it's hidden
QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
Some of those folders are hidden. Do you have windows explorer to show hidden folders and files in the "Folder and Search Options" in the Organize menu of Windows Explorer.

C:\Users\Greg\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw on my system.
Thanks to you both very much. I did the requisite face-palm upon reading your explanations. Right, I found the necessary, and copied over the profile, but now it's only showing up in Photoshop under lens corrections. LR3 still says 'unable to locate profile' or something. Do I need to explicitly point LR3 to it?

07-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #38
Veteran Member

LR3 still says 'unable to locate profile' or something. Do I need to explicitly point LR3 to it?
Don't know for the profiles. But PS and LR don't share Camera Raw in the "Program Files\Common Files\Adobe" folder (LR 2 has it locally stored in "Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2"). So maybe, it's the same for the profiles.
07-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #39

My profiles are in c:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Pentax
I have Windows 7 64bit & Lightroom 3
07-04-2010, 11:27 PM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

If anyone is like me and shoots JPEG sometimes and disabled lens correction in body for review time, battery life, and continuous shooting, you can modify these RAW profiles to get them to work on JPEG files.

replace True with False everywhere:
<stCamera:CameraRawProfile>True</stCamera:CameraRawProfile>

Obviously, there must've been a reason why there are different profiles for RAW and JPEG (perhaps the different tone curves, gamma corrections, in-camera lens corrections, etc), but in case someone wants to play around with them, this is how
07-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For those that have printed the charts and done profiles - how important is mounting a large chart? I have access to a large format printer, but only one using regular bond paper (wouldn't think vellum would be a good idea) and don't have any access to gator board. I can probably find some way of attaching the chart to a wall or something. I don't want to spend anything much doing this as I have serious doubts I'll have the patience to do a decent one.

Are profiles supposed to deal with purple fringing as well as CA? I tried the 10-17 profile linked to above but it didn't correct it enough on the one picture I tried it on.

Any suggestions or comments/lessons learned?
07-11-2010, 03:17 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Are profiles supposed to deal with purple fringing as well as CA? I tried the 10-17 profile linked to above but it didn't correct it enough on the one picture I tried it on.
For reasons of physics, software correction can (almost) remove lateral CA but not longitudinal CA. On the other side, longitudinal CA disappears when stopping down, lateral CA doesn't.

Purple fringing can be due to contrast in out of focus areas. That isn't CA at all (sometimes called Bokeh Color) and not removed by software correction either.
07-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the information. The purple fringing I'm trying to get rid of is at high contrast edges, in many cases where the picture is in focus, not just out of focus. Lightroom does better than anything else I've tried, but I was hoping that the profiles would deal with it even more. Oh well, I'll still give it a try to create a profile, the 12-24's CA can be quite annoying.
07-13-2010, 12:11 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Thanks to all for assistance - after taking the advice of Eruditass and replacing the 'true's with 'false's it's working. I should've realised there were different profiles for RAW and JPEG.
07-17-2010, 07:00 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Thanks to all for assistance - after taking the advice of Eruditass and replacing the 'true's with 'false's it's working. I should've realised there were different profiles for RAW and JPEG.
How are the results with the each correction?