Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2010, 08:21 AM   #61
Inactive Account

samyang (rokinon) 8mm

I just picked up the Rokinon 8mm fisheye. Is it possible to make lense profiles for manual lenses like this? Has anyone done one already?

08-06-2010, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thought I'd post a comparison shot between one of the chart pictures, corrected and uncorrected. These are 100% crops, taken from the upper left area, not quite to the corner extreme (I cut off one complete column and most of the second one). The shot was at 300 mm, f8. I started with the raw version, used LR to just add the profile with no additional processing (other than whatever LR does by default) and exported to tiff to get two different files (one with and one without the profile applied - love virtual copies). These I opened with CS4 and cropped, created a new file and posted the crops side by side on the new file (so no exif information, unfortunately). The one on the left is the original shot and the one on the right is the corrected shot. It's not a miracle cure for everything but I thought the differences were significant, both the CA correction and the correction of my lens's geometric distortion, which you can also see here.

08-06-2010, 11:56 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Looks like a pretty decent result to me.
08-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Thought I'd post a comparison shot between one of the chart pictures, corrected and uncorrected.
Thank you very much for taking the extra time to do this. I guess I was just surprised how much geometric correction there was for this lens.

08-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #65
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Here's the profile I did for the DA 35 macro and raw. It's made up of 3 apertures and two different focus distances. Let me know what you think.
I just gave this a trial run on a few images and I like it so far. It takes care of the vignetting and also nicely cleaned up some mild CA in some branches against blue sky in the corner of one image. It seems to work well. Thanks for sharing it.
08-11-2010, 01:53 AM   #66
Veteran Member

If anyone wants to add the Pentax D-FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro WR, and FA 77 LTD f/1.8 they would be most appreciated.
08-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Request

I would sure like to see a profile for the FA 43 and the DA 17-70. If anybody has the time to create them please do so. I've taken a look at the profile tool and it looks like a real hit and miss operation so I would gladly use someone else's who has more experience using the program.

08-17-2010, 10:45 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Adobe's Response.

I just received a response from Adobe on my request for more - or any - profiles for Pentax DSLRs. Here is their response.

Re: How to request Adobe to create a lens profile

The most productive approach is for you and your fellow Pentax users to let Pentax (i.e., the company itself) know that you are interested. They have already contributed fifteen profiles for the 645D system. You are effectively looking for this support to be extended to the DSLR lenses. The more that they see that users like yourself desire to have high-quality profiles made, I believe the more likely they are to respond.

Eric

So if everyone starts to contact Pentax about this, maybe we will start to see some more profiles right from Adobe.
08-17-2010, 02:58 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Pentax's Response

Did you ever have one of those days where you feel like you're talking to yourself?

As recommended above, I did e-mail Pentax about the Lightroom 3 lens profiles. In my case that was Pentax Canada. Here is the response I received very shortly after I sent it.

Hello:

Thank you for your interest in Pentax Cameras and lenses. I have asked our Marketing Co-ordinator to forward your request to Japan.

Best regards

CSR2
The Pentax CSR Team
905-286-5585 x632
1-800-461-6203 x632

So send Pentax America, or Pentax Europe or wherever you call home, an e-mail and ask for profiles for Lightroom. If you ask for them, the profiles will come.
08-18-2010, 03:56 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen Quote
They have already contributed fifteen profiles for the 645D system.
I note three things:
  1. The camera vendor, not Adobe, shall create profiles.
  2. Pentax created the 645D 55mm profile, and 14 more, to go with LR3.
  3. Pentax did not create any other profiles yet.
To say that we must ask Pentax to create the profiles is BS. Pentax obviously knows about LR3 profiles and must have actively decided not to submit profiles for K-7. This is a strange thing, to say the least.

I assume that a camera vendor can create profiles from simple data conversion. I looked into the Adobe LR3 profile files. They use parameters which are straightforward to compute from the data of an existing profile.

If anybody shows me where DCU4 stores its profile data (either on disk or within the image raw file), I could actually look into writing the converter myself.
08-18-2010, 01:16 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
If anybody shows me where DCU4 stores its profile data (either on disk or within the image raw file), I could actually look into writing the converter myself.
*crosses fingers tightly*

Issues of copyright aside (they've never stopped anybody hacking firmware, after all), I'm surprised I've not yet seen converters to create profiles made by the camera manufacturers, DxO, etc. etc. for use with Adobe's equivalent.
08-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #72
Veteran Member

[/LIST]To say that we must ask Pentax to create the profiles is BS. Pentax obviously knows about LR3 profiles and must have actively decided not to submit profiles for K-7. This is a strange thing, to say the least.
Yes it is strange. That is why I recommend an e-mail to Pentax to get them to get their butt's in gear and make those profiles. Perhaps they think we all use Aperture.
08-20-2010, 07:20 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Yeah it is pretty lame really, One staff member from Pentax could of profiled all the current lineup in just a few days work. Tethering too seems important for Pentax's market and an easy fix Pentax but they just seem stupid or reluctant to want to sell their products to a wider audience. If it was an investment of 4billion I'd understand, but really how much effort could it take?

Meanwhile anyone want to profile the FA 77mm LTD?
08-21-2010, 01:11 PM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ask and you shall receive. Here's a profile for the 77 Ltd. In looking at the charts in LR, the lens has little CA or geometric distortion. The profile seemed to mostly correct some vignetting I had never particularly noticed with the lens. I used 3 apertures (f1.8, f8. f18) at 2 different distances. I actually did two profiles - I forgot to turn off SR when I was shooting the first one and some of the pictures were fuzzy. I've become a believer that you should turn off SR when using a tripod.

I'd be interested what others think of it - I'm not sure this lens really needs a profile, there's not as big a change in the pictures, compared to the other profiles I've done/used.
08-21-2010, 09:27 PM   #75
Veteran Member

I note three things:
  1. The camera vendor, not Adobe, shall create profiles.
  2. Pentax created the 645D 55mm profile, and 14 more, to go with LR3.
  3. Pentax did not create any other profiles yet.
To say that we must ask Pentax to create the profiles is BS. Pentax obviously knows about LR3 profiles and must have actively decided not to submit profiles for K-7. This is a strange thing, to say the least.

I assume that a camera vendor can create profiles from simple data conversion. I looked into the Adobe LR3 profile files. They use parameters which are straightforward to compute from the data of an existing profile.

I don't think that it's unreasonable for Adobe to suggest that the manufacturer of the equipment might be the best source for profiles. Adobe isn't a testing lab, and Pentax has single digit marketshare.

Pentax is also a very small company compared to the behemoths at Canon and Nikon, or Sony. The last I heard (a couple years ago), the company numbered 1200 employees. They have to make decisions about how to spend resources that the others don't.