Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2010, 04:16 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Wanted: Adobe Lens Profiles

Lens profiles can be used in PS (Photoshop) and LR (Lightroom, starting with the upcoming final LR3 version).

Here's a demo of how lens correction looks like:

If you created a lens profile for a lens that can be mounted on a Pentax DSLR using the Adobe Adobe Lens Profile Creator or plan to do so in the future (there is a guide), please consider sharing the profile with the Pentaxforums user community.

Please attach your profiles, preferably as .zip files to a post in this thread.

A list of already contributed profiles is maintained at the "https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-processing-articles/112707-adobe-len...troom-3-a.html" article.

Last edited by Class A; 08-31-2010 at 09:50 PM.
05-27-2010, 10:05 AM   #2

Pentax K-7 + DA12-24mm f4

Hey!

I tried to do a profile for my combination PENTAX K-7 + DA12-24mm f4 lens. I took a 54 photo series (@ 12mm, @18mm, @ 24mm and @f4, @f11). Focus distance to the grid was about 1 metre in 12mm shots, 1,2 meters in 18mm shots and 1,8 meters in 24mm shots. I used Adobes A2 sized 27x43 with 36pts squares. Lightning were two light at both sides. Tripod and a cable release used.

I tried to do this so well that I could, and I was quite pleased that out of 54 photos only two had invalid grids (one @12mm f4 set, and one @12mm f11 set)

I have just barely tested this profile and experienced just mediocre results with it, for my eye you face substantial image loss at edges when using geometric correction. Chromatic aberration correction seems to work okay. vignetting I havent' tested yet.

So I'll put a link to my dropbox where you can download the profile and test it out. If it's utter crap I'll try again maybe But if you find it useful that's good.

Hopefully this is a okay place to post this kind of request to test profile more througly.

link to the profile : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2655364/PENTAX%20K-7%20%28smc%20PENTAX-DA%2012-24mm%...%20-%20RAW.lcp

Greets
-Juho
05-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad to see that this thread finally got a reply! Can anyone help Juho out and verify this profile?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-05-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks, Juho. I've tried it out on my K20D and K-x (and compared it against the auto-correction in the K-x) and it works well for vignetting and distortion correction, but it seems the CA on my lens needs a bit more correction than in your profile. BTW, you get less sharpness loss in distortion correction if you correct from the raw.

BTW, for anyone who has Photoshop CS5, to use these profiles in Adobe Camera Raw you need to update to version 6.1 (not the version shipped with final CS5) - otherwise these profiles can only be used in the Filter>Lens Correction... plugin on non-raw files.

I've printed out some big boards with the test charts and plan to build some profiles as well. I was hoping to convince some other Toronto Pentaxians to join me at a friend's studio in town to have a "profile fest" with our collective lenses, but almost no one showed up to the last social event to ask. For giggles, I'm even going to profile my Zenit 44M (though exif never knows which lens this is, only I do!).

06-11-2010, 03:15 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
DA 16-45 lens profile

Greetings all.

Here's a profile I generated for the 16-45 for your appraisal/testing in Adobe Camera Raw.

It was done using DNG raw files from a K-7, but should work for all other bodies and possibly with Jpegs, Tiffs, etc.

It works for all focal lengths, but was done relatively quickly with 3 focal lengths at f5.6.

According to Adobe this is sufficient for profiling, and from personal experience it works really well on various older files I tested at different focal lengths and apertures - with my lens at least.

"Contre jour" images will need further correction in Photoshop.

Please remember to zero out any previous corrections before use.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

If this works for others I will post further profiles for the 12-24 and 50-135.

cheers

mutters

Last edited by Mutters; 06-11-2010 at 07:20 PM. Reason: spelling
06-11-2010, 06:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hey guys, just a quick "thank you!" for getting the ball rolling!
06-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Mutters Quote
Greetings all.

Here's a profile I generated for the 16-45 for your appraisal/testing in Adobe Camera Raw.
Profile works very well with my K10D - well done! and thank you very much.

06-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm about to try to generate a few of these using my K-7. I have the following lenses to choose from, and I'll gladly take requests for which I should work on first:

DA 15 Ltd
DA 21 Ltd
DA 35 Macro Ltd
FA 50 f/1.4
DA 70 Ltd (pending...just ordered it)
D FA 100mm Macro WR

DA* 16-50
DA 18-55 WR
DA 18-55 II
DA* 50-135
DA 55-300

The problem I'm dealing with now is printing the charts. Seems that for many of these lenses and focus distance combinations, large-format prints would be needed. Unfortunately, the biggest I can do at home is legal (8.5" x 14") So for now, I'm limited to making profiles that are suitably done with smaller charts.

What's the easiest and cheapest way for me to get a few prints in sizes like 18x24 done? Anyone done such a thing at a place like Kinkos?
06-13-2010, 12:37 AM   #9

For those of us racking our brains wondering where to put those precious .lcp files, here's the answer from Adobe :

QuoteQuote:
Q: Where should I place my LCP file so that I can use it in ACR and the Photoshop Lens Correction plug in?

A: You can place the lens profiles under a user specific or a shared all user location.

User profiles location:
• Mac OSX: /Users/(User Name)/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0
• Windows 7 or Vista: C:\User\(User Name)\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0
• Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\(User Name)\Application Data\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0

Shared profiles location:
• Mac OSX: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0
• Windows 7 or Vista: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0
• Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0
Don't forget to add the \1.0 if it wasn't already there (my case)

cheers !
jef
06-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aerodave Quote
I'll gladly take requests for which I should work on first
I'll get the ball rolling with a vote for the DA 18-55 WR, partly because I own it, and partly because it's a kit lens for the K-7, so many K-7 owners will have this lens...
06-13-2010, 09:09 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
I'll get the ball rolling with a vote for the DA 18-55 WR, partly because I own it, and partly because it's a kit lens for the K-7, so many K-7 owners will have this lens...
I second the motion !
06-13-2010, 11:18 PM   #12
Forum Member

Thirded on the 18-55. I'll try out the utility in a few days, and if I can use it properly, I'll post profiles for the 40/2.8 and 50/1.2 A.
06-14-2010, 03:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Okay, then....I'll get to the 18-55 WR as soon as I can. However, I think that to do a lens that goes that wide, I will definitely need some larger charts. Does anyone have an answer to my question above about the price and ease of getting big prints done?
06-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey all,

I'm working on the DA*16-50/2.8 as I write.

The DNG shooting at the short focus distance (roughly 2x min focus distance) is almost done for focal lengths in (16mm, 20mm, 28mm, 35mm and 50mm) and apertures from f/2.8 to f/22 at one stop intervals. I'm about half way in the processing.

I'll repeat it on a later day with a longer focus distance (around 5x min focus distance), and append that to the profile.

Once I'm done I hope I'll have a pretty good profile for this lens on my K-7.

to be continued...

Wim
06-15-2010, 06:56 PM   #15

Photos: Gallery
I'm looking for a profile for the DA 14/2.8 and here's a link to someone that has created one for the DA 10-17 fisheye:

Download my Adobe Lens Profile for Pentax 10-17mm Fisheye lens Is It Work?

JayT