Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just bought myself the 16-50mm

I just bought myself the DA* 16-50mm! It's supposed to be here Wednesday. I can't wait.

I know that there used to be issues with the SDM burning out. I also think that the issue, while seemingly widespread was likely exaggerated (The ones with the problems were the ones making the most noise). If it was really as bad as people said then you'd think that Pentax would recall them.

Anyway, since this is my first SDM lens I was wondering if perhaps some of the issues may have been caused by user error. If so, is there anything I need to watch out for to avoid causing a burnout?

05-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're probably right about the people with problems making the most noise. Same goes for those who complain about SDM focusing speed, but the fact of the matter is that it IS slower than Pentax screw drive.

Chances are that as long as you use the lens normally, the SDM won't fail on you
05-23-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
I just bought myself the DA* 16-50mm! It's supposed to be here Wednesday. I can't wait.

I know that there used to be issues with the SDM burning out. I also think that the issue, while seemingly widespread was likely exaggerated (The ones with the problems were the ones making the most noise). If it was really as bad as people said then you'd think that Pentax would recall them.

Anyway, since this is my first SDM lens I was wondering if perhaps some of the issues may have been caused by user error. If so, is there anything I need to watch out for to avoid causing a burnout?
A funny story about the suggestive power of the Internet. Once I had my DA*16-50 on my camera on assignment and all of a sudden my lens stopped focusing.

"Oh no, it's the SDM problem!" I thought.

No, it was just that I had my lens switched onto manual mode. D'oh!

I wonder how many other people this has happened to.

One other user error thing I've heard about is you should make sure the lens contacts are clean and also don't put the lens on your camera while the camera is on. I'm not sure if it has ever been confirmed if these two things contribute to SDM failures, but I wanted to pass along the info anyway.
05-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
A funny story about the suggestive power of the Internet. Once I had my DA*16-50 on my camera on assignment and all of a sudden my lens stopped focusing.

"Oh no, it's the SDM problem!" I thought.

No, it was just that I had my lens switched onto manual mode. D'oh!

I wonder how many other people this has happened to.

One other user error thing I've heard about is you should make sure the lens contacts are clean and also don't put the lens on your camera while the camera is on. I'm not sure if it has ever been confirmed if these two things contribute to SDM failures, but I wanted to pass along the info anyway.
LOL!

I could see myself doing that very thing...hehehe. Thank you for the info. I'll play it safe and turn the camera off when I switch lenses. I've heard that's good practice anyway. I don't know if it is true or not but I've heard that if you camera is on when changing lenses, there is a slight charge on the sensor which could attract dust.

05-23-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
... the fact of the matter is that it IS slower than Pentax screw drive....
Well it still should be faster than my 18-55 and my 70-300
05-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Kewl! I finally broke down and bought myself the 12-24 Hope you have as much fun with yours as I plan to with mine! From B&H, and yes I used the link to credit PF for the sales...

Jim
05-23-2010, 09:19 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well it still should be faster than my 18-55 and my 70-300
I wouldn't count on it. I have the 16-50 and it has great image quality, but the AF can be either quick, or painfully slow. As such, I'm ready to help the AF at times. I've had it AF fine in very dim light, and then fail to lock in good light.

Other lenses hunt, too, so I don't think the 16-50 is worse, but it's no miracle worker, either.

Still, I'm sure you'll love it. The IQ is very nice.
05-23-2010, 11:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I wouldn't count on it. I have the 16-50 and it has great image quality, but the AF can be either quick, or painfully slow. As such, I'm ready to help the AF at times. I've had it AF fine in very dim light, and then fail to lock in good light.

Other lenses hunt, too, so I don't think the 16-50 is worse, but it's no miracle worker, either.

Still, I'm sure you'll love it. The IQ is very nice.
I'm not going to be shooting fast things with it so I'm not too worried.

I'll tell you what's fun...manual focusing at 300mm during an Oregon state football game and getting the shot. That was with my 70-300 which doesn't have the quick shift. Granted I should have been a split second faster with the shutter but this was my first time shooting at a football game. Hand held too.

I think I'll be fine if the 16-50 is a little slow. I'm buying it mostly for the 2.8 and the weather proofing. Tromping around in the wet Pacific coast range is not terribly electronics friendly.

05-23-2010, 11:48 PM   #9
Inactive Account

You're going to regret that. Not because of any -issues- but because the other lenses will no longer be good enough (see my list in the sig)..

With respect to focus speed, I've found sometimes that pressing the AF button rather than using the shutter button for focusing, speeds things up quite nicely. I've found this to be true in 'good light' and in complete darkness using only the AF assist on a flash or the one built into the K7.

And, yes, I've done the "damn, SDM is gone" only to discover later I'd switched off the AF on the lens previously for some reason (it isn't something that accidentally happens).

Welcome to the club. I hope you enjoy your membership as much as I do..

05-24-2010, 03:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I've always wondered how much third party batteries are to blame for the SDM failures.
05-24-2010, 07:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
I've always wondered how much third party batteries are to blame for the SDM failures.
As long as voltage/amperage/polarity is the same as the Pentax battery I don't see how they could affect things. I could be wrong.
05-24-2010, 07:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
You're going to regret that. Not because of any -issues- but because the other lenses will no longer be good enough (see my list in the sig)..

With respect to focus speed, I've found sometimes that pressing the AF button rather than using the shutter button for focusing, speeds things up quite nicely. I've found this to be true in 'good light' and in complete darkness using only the AF assist on a flash or the one built into the K7.

And, yes, I've done the "damn, SDM is gone" only to discover later I'd switched off the AF on the lens previously for some reason (it isn't something that accidentally happens).

Welcome to the club. I hope you enjoy your membership as much as I do..

Thank you. I'm excited to finally be in the DA* club. My next lens is the 50-135 after this one. But my wife and I agreed that after this lens she gets to get the Olympus 12-60 for her E620, so I have to wait a while while we save up for that one.

I know the feeling of my other lenses not being good enough. After shooting with my wife's 50mm f/2 macro ALL of my lenses are inadequate. This is so I feel somewhat even with what my wife's glass can do.
05-24-2010, 07:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

As long as voltage/amperage/polarity is the same as the Pentax battery I don't see how they could affect things. I could be wrong.
As long as, indeed.