Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2010, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #1

? Telephoto Recommendations for K-X

My Question:
What do the other Pentaxians do when they want a longer telephoto?
(400mm range and higher)

I'm a recent K-X owner-
Reason #1 Price Point & Practicality.
Reason #2 Nostalgia - I have my Dad's Spotmatic F.
I like the K-X a lot, and got it with the 55-300 kit lens.

I realize the 300mm zoom I have now is effectively a 450mm in full frame formats.
Have now discovered the obvious attraction of faster & longer telephotos.

I have been cautioned away from the 500mm f8 mirror lenses because they are generally unsatisfying most of the time for most users.

Stuff like the ma$$ive Pentax-FA 600mm F4 is simply out of my league
(I initially bought the K-X because it was $250 less than my next choice.)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Blue Jay

P.S. Yes, I had an excellent (100% success) CMOS sensor-cleaning session with a "rocket-type" bulb blower. Thanks for asking.

P.P.S. I tried the search engine, looking for an earlier answer to similar questions, and, finding none, posted this one.

05-23-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The SMC pentax k 500/4.5 is a great performer- search for '700mm' on the forum to see a couple sample shots showing its sharpness!

It's also listed in our lens database at Pentax Lens Review Database - Lens Listings

There are also some similar threads below. These only show up pre-post in a few forums, but can be browsed always after you post your thread
05-23-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Jay Quote
I realize the 300mm zoom I have now is effectively a 450mm in full frame formats.
Have now discovered the obvious attraction of faster & longer telephotos.
A common misconception. You have a 300mm lens, not a 450mm lens. The field of view is the same as a 450mm lens but the magnification is the same as a 300mm lens.

The Sigma 400mm f/5.6 APO is probably the most affordable long telephoto prime. You can find them used for less than $400.

The Phoenix/Vivitar/Cosina/Promaster 100-400 f/4.5-6.7 is the least expensive you will find. You can get it for around $80.
05-23-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

This question is about lenses, not cameras, so I'm moving it to the appropriate forum. There actually quite a few existing threads on the topic, but figuring out the right terms to search for might be tricky. Keep trying.

05-23-2010, 07:39 PM   #5

Original Poster
RE "misconception" it is a well-documented one.
This from a post by Administrator Ole
"The (DA / DA L) 55-300 alone has an 24x36mm format equivalent of 82 - 450mm"

I have read similar things each time the subject of full frame lens on APS-C comes up.

Thanks for the recommendations.
05-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
This question is about lenses, not cameras, so I'm moving it to the appropriate forum. There actually quite a few existing threads on the topic, but figuring out the right terms to search for might be tricky. Keep trying.
Marc,
Thanks. I see your point.
I'm happy to be anyplace that gets input from the right people.
I'm getting help, and appreciate it.
Camera - Lens, Chicken-Egg: I thought it was a camera-format / body question.
I am looking for a longer lens, but one appropriate to the K-X - a relatively petite camera body.

The existing threads I've found all seem to revert to discussion of the shorter lenses.
05-23-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Well, all long focal length lenses are big, unless you get a mirror lens. See the Mirror Lens Club thread in this forum for examples of what they can do.
05-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #8

Original Poster
Well, all long focal length lenses are big, unless you get a mirror lens. See the Mirror Lens Club thread in this forum for examples of what they can do.
Sorry- "shorter" as in shorter focal lengths (135mm, 200mm etc) than I already have covered via the kit zoom lenses.

05-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Understood. I mentioned size to point out that while the K-x might be small, there won't be any special small long focal length lenses that fit it better than others. Like or not, regardless of the size of your camera, a long focal length lens is big, unless it's a mirror lens. The camera has nothing to do with it.
05-23-2010, 10:32 PM   #10

Original Poster
Understood. I mentioned size to point out that while the K-x might be small, there won't be any special small long focal length lenses that fit it better than others. Like or not, regardless of the size of your camera, a long focal length lens is big, unless it's a mirror lens. The camera has nothing to do with it.

Agree.
Maybe we are talking past each other.
I am looking for a lens that is physically longer than 300mm.

That said- some things might integrate more gracefully than others.
The DA lenses were redone with plastic mounts to serve as the DA L kit lenses for the K-X. They are lighter than the DA lenses, and presumably fit the price point better.

I am open to the idea that since the K-X is an entry level model, with lighter weight kit lenses, it might possible to find something that will fit the mount that the K-X was not intended to handle.

If there is an issue, I'd rather hear about it first, rather than re-validate something someone else already knew was a bad idea.

(Guessing the K-7 is a lot heftier for a good reason.)
05-23-2010, 10:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
... it might possible to find something that will fit the mount that the K-X was not intended to handle.
You can look at M42 screwmount lenses. E.g. Pentax Lens Review Database - Pentax Screwmount Extreme Telephoto Prime Lens Reviews and Specifications

I don't think you will find many of them, but you might be lucky.
05-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Jay Quote
That said- some things might integrate more gracefully than others.
The DA lenses were redone with plastic mounts to serve as the DA L kit lenses for the K-X. They are lighter than the DA lenses, and presumably fit the price point better.

I am open to the idea that since the K-X is an entry level model, with lighter weight kit lenses, it might possible to find something that will fit the mount that the K-X was not intended to handle.
Nothing to worry about there. The camera on the camera side is just as sturdy on the K-x as on any other camera. The only question will be a subjective one of how well the lens "balances" on the camera. But again, you have no real choice there. All non-mirror super telephoto lenses are going to be big and heavy.