Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax-A 16mm fish eye vs. 17mm Fish-eye-Takumar

Hello all. I am in a quandary. Despite already having the Pentax-A 16mm fisheye lens, I bought a 17mm one as well, because it was listed as an SMC (K) 17mm f/4, and $205 seemed too good to pass up. It turns out the actual lens is a Fish-eye-Takumar 17mm that has been converted to K mount, a distinctly less good deal. It does have the small size I wanted and is in great shape, but I was really hoping to get SMC and auto-aperture for use as a travel wide angle on my DSLR. I can send it back for a refund, but who knows if/when I will find another, and how much I will have to pay for that one.

The A 16mm is remarkably sharp, optically I have no complaints about it at all. I was hoping to find the K version had just as good optics but in a smaller package. I don't feel right test-shooting with the Takumar if I am going to send back because it was the wrong lens, especially risking damage to it rendering it nonreturnable. What do you all think I should do?

Thanks, Nick

05-23-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If it's not what you want, then send it back.
I'm very new to this forum, so I'm not the best judge, but I've read here that the right item will turn up......if you're patient.
Cheers, Pickles.
05-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Send it back. It isn't what you paid for, or what you wanted. You already have the 16mm so that should hold you over until you can find a K 17mm.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Hello all. I am in a quandary. Despite already having the Pentax-A 16mm fisheye lens, I bought a 17mm one as well, because it was listed as an SMC (K) 17mm f/4, and $205 seemed too good to pass up. It turns out the actual lens is a Fish-eye-Takumar 17mm that has been converted to K mount, a distinctly less good deal. It does have the small size I wanted and is in great shape, but I was really hoping to get SMC and auto-aperture for use as a travel wide angle on my DSLR. I can send it back for a refund, but who knows if/when I will find another, and how much I will have to pay for that one.

The A 16mm is remarkably sharp, optically I have no complaints about it at all. I was hoping to find the K version had just as good optics but in a smaller package. I don't feel right test-shooting with the Takumar if I am going to send back because it was the wrong lens, especially risking damage to it rendering it nonreturnable. What do you all think I should do?

Thanks, Nick
05-24-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Absolutely return it. You were mislead and if I were you I would not be a happy camper. People need to understand that you cannot put a better name out there to boost sale interest and then send a different lens. That happened to me on Ebay. I saw a MF Vivitar lens that said glass is scratch/fungus/haze free and when the lens arrived it had a haze covering the rear inside element from top to bottom. Needless to say I got a refund.

05-26-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Mailed it back today. I am sure it was an honest mistake, but not what I wanted. Thanks y'all!