Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Close focus 28mm review

Well today I was given some old Pentax gear from a friends dad
The most interesting to me was a close focusing (1:4 apparently) 28mm, the brand being Albinar. I had never previously heard of this brand appart from cheap TC's on ebay. I gave it a quick run earlier today and here were my results...

All of which at its MFD except the first, wideopen at F/2.8

After I checked the forum, and was surprised to find the lens on the third party lens review section with a solid 5... Am I missing something because it looks pretty good to me I really like the bokeh, and sharpness is pretty good!

PentaxForums.com Third-Party Lens Review Database - Albinar 28mm F2.8-- Manual Focus Lens Reviews

Last edited by yeatzee; 05-23-2010 at 09:16 PM.
05-23-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Those shots do look pretty good, but I can see how people are complaining about the bokeh. Look at all the hot spots in the last one!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Those shots do look pretty good, but I can see how people are complaining about the bokeh. Look at all the hot spots in the last one!
Explain what you mean by "hot spots"..... The white spots are from the white "buds" which filled the background. Im pretty sure any of my lenses would still have those white spots
05-23-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Maybe it's because you weren't far enough away, but theoretically those should be able to smoothly blend into the background rather than look so clear given a small enough DOF. Also, there seems to be a pretty noticeable rendition of lines in the background. What aperture was used?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-23-2010, 10:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Maybe it's because you weren't far enough away, but theoretically those should be able to smoothly blend into the background rather than look so clear given a small enough DOF. Also, there seems to be a pretty noticeable rendition of lines in the background. What aperture was used?
Ah, see I look at it like the lens's bokeh has character... and I like that If I wan't no clear idea what was in the background I'd use the M 85mm or 105mm

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
All of which at its MFD except the first, wideopen at F/2.8

Anyways thanks for the comment! I look forward to comparing this lens with the M 28mm F/3.5 when I recieve it later this week
05-24-2010, 10:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Forgot to add that it works great reversed...