Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2010, 07:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF Adjustment for my K-7 and FA 50mm f1.4

Hi All
I was looking to find the forums but no luck.
I need to download Charts and How to AF Adjustment for my k-7 My FA 50mm 1.4 have a little sharp but I need to improve a perfect sharpness. Thank you.

05-24-2010, 07:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's worth a try.

Yvon Bourque has a good guide for AF adjustments, as well as free focus charts for different focal lengths.
PENTAX DSLRs: PART-1. Autofocus Adjustment for the Pentax K20D, Custom Setting No 35
05-24-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's for K20D. My camera is K-7.
05-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Right. As far as I know, there are no specific guides for the K-7 at the moment, and Bourques guide covers the things you need to know while adjusting.
The procedures for the two cameras are pretty much identical, the only differences should be found in the step "CAMERA SETTINGS" in the link I provided:

1. The number of the custom function "AF adjustment".
- Locate it in the custom function tab (C) in the main menu. It's number 37, according to DPReview.

2. Location of AF point selection
- It looks similar (same icons), although located around the AF button.

3. Turning on 2-sec self-timer
- Press the button above "OK", the "stopwatch" symbol, which enters the menu for shooting mode. Select self-timer, 2 sec.

4. I think I remember Bourques guide referring to lighting types, which for the K-7 shouldn't matter. This is due to a sensor compensating for the laws of physics. Jokes aside, it makes adjustments in order to compensate for the type of lighting, of which some AF sensors may have trouble with.

I do not have a K-7 myself, but I am sure it should be perfectly doable by the guide, as I know of others that use this for their K-7. If you have some trouble following this guide, I suggest asking.

05-24-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Danny,
For K-7 it's Function 36. Look in the manual, p121.
As Kjeti suggested, use YB's charts. Also, make sure to use tripod, MLU, i.e. everything possible to eliminate vibration.
Good luck,
05-24-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How do I get the charts? What is YB's Charts? Thanks
05-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quick and Dirty Way..

1. Using a surface illuminated by natural light, measure down a textured wall (brick is good) 4-5 feet from a known point (door frame, etc). At eye level, stick a piece of 1/2 inch (or narrower) strip of black electrical tape vertically on the surface.

2. Perpendicular (90 degrees) to the known measuring pont (1), measure the same distance out from the wall and mark the location.

3. Stand on the point marked in 2, center the tape on the focus screen then allow your camera to AF on the electrical tape. You are taking a shot at about a 45 degree angle to the tape.

4. Holding the camera very still, take a photo.

5. When the photo appears in the view finder, before it disappears, hit the review button to freeze the shot.

6. While the shot is visible, spin the magnifying wheel to enlarge the shot until you can see where the texture on the wall is sharpest. If its at or very near the tape, you are probably OK. Do this several times, just to make sure you are getting consistency. If it's not close to the tape, follow the instructions in the Manual to adjust, then repeat as needed until all is OK.

Works for me... might just work for you too.

Cheers...

Last edited by Michaelina2; 05-24-2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Added natural light proviso
05-24-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I use a wall calendar, not high tech but it's always there and good enough for me. Here's an example. I focus on April 14 in this case.

05-24-2010, 11:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Danny Delcambre Quote
How do I get the charts? What is YB's Charts? Thanks
YB = Yvon Bourque - those are the charts that you were already directed to in the first response. I also like the chart at focustestchart.com. A focus chart is a focus chart; doesn't matter what camera the person who designed it was using.
05-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks I got it. I am working on it now.
06-14-2010, 12:19 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Just did it for my Tamron 70-300 LD Di in macro mode, thanks folks.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo