Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
Pentaxian

How do you guys clean the old Pentax MF lenses?

I just bought 3 Pentax-M lenses. The glasses are in good shape and fungus free. Aperture rings are snappy. In general, pretty good condition.

However, the bodies of the lenses are pretty dirty, mostly dust, dirt, oil, etc. How do you guys usually clean the lens body in such circumstance? Just plain water or something more specialized?

05-24-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

For dirt in engravings and the focus ring I use an old toothbrush.
Other things I use are 'cleanex' or something similar wetted with WD40, or another mild grease solvent.
Never spray wd40 near a lens or camera, use it always indirect.
05-24-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are special toothbrushes which are meant for "precision" brushing, the brush itself is very small and quite hard. Really good for small details and engravings.
Although WD40 shouldn't do much harm when applied indirectly, I would also suggest "electronic cleaner", which does pretty much the same thing, but does not function as a grease.
05-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use ordinary toothbrushes and Windex. The M lenses are really easy to clean because all the lettering is engraved, so it won't fall off. They are reasonably well-protected from cleaning stuff getting to the important parts. I usually find myself taking them apart because it's easy and I can do a better cleaning.

05-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I use denatured alcohol or naphtha. They are available from hardware store (paint department).

If you don't want to buy a quart, you can use lighter (zippo) fuel, which is available in smaller quantity.
05-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #6

A little bit of Windex on a q-tip and a microfiber cloth.
05-24-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If they are really filthy I've used Zippo lighter fuel and a soft cloth. But generally I use wet wipes.

05-24-2010, 04:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you all.

Will try the to clean them up tonight. I guess I'll just just with the normal toothbrush first and see how it goes.