Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2007, 07:16 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 18-50 f2.8 vs pancake primes

I have a silly question.

The pancake primes are 31mm, 21mm, 40mm, etc. Their f-stop are slightly better but would not the Sigma 18-50/f2.8 cover this entire range already, albeit f-stop a bit higher?

Is this a more economical way of getting lenses that can perform well in indoor lighting? Any compelling reason to buy the pancake lenses instead of the sigma?

08-02-2007, 08:08 AM   #2

Well, first, the "Pancake Stack" is 21/f3.2, 40/f2.8 and 70/f2.4. The 31/f1.8 is the old FA Limited (and an EXTREMELY desireable lens!). While you have to answer this for yourself, you should find lens tests on the web of these AND the Sigma. www. pixelpeepers.com is a good place to start to see "real world" photos with these and other lenses.
Why not consider the new *16-50/f2.8 from Pentax? While more expensive than the Sigma, it's performance is already winning raves. Go to Ned Bunnell's blog: NED BUNNELL (He's the PR director for Pentax USA) and look at his photos made with it. You can also go here: OK1000 Pentax Blog and compare both of the new Pentax * Da lenses.
Sigma's have consistently had a spotty quality reputation over the last few years. You might get one that is as good as Pentax Limiteds and * lenses, or you might get the junk yard dog of lenses, and you never know until you start shooting with it! Caveat Emptor! "Let the buyer beware!"
Just my 2 cents!
Rob W
08-02-2007, 08:15 AM   #3

It also comes down to what you commonly feel you would use. Do you shoot a specific range and don't like to deviate from it? Are you the type who prefers to zoom with their feet instead of their lens? If so, primes might be your cup of tea. If you're looking for convenience, not having to swap lenses and figure that you'll shoot at the range between 18-50 and never really use just one length, then a zoom might be your cup of tea.

The DA * 16-50 is nice and achieving rave reviews, but at a third of the price you can get a 17-70 Sigma f2.8-f4.5 (quite a good range and f stop) which has garnered great reviews as well. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions
08-02-2007, 08:51 AM   #4

I am getting the older non macro version of the sigma. It is just for some event photography and honestly, I don't think I need such an expensive lens for that.

Lens Test: Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro - - PopPhotoMay 2007

The sigma is PLENTY sharp and more than adequate for events.

08-02-2007, 04:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
If sigma has a QC issue, is it better to get the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8? I am sure I saw this tamron lens somewhere on the net....

Does Tamron has the same inconsistent QC issue as Sigma?
08-02-2007, 04:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

How can you compare a 'budget' fast zoom to a couple of premium primes?

(I know the word premium doesn't mean much considering any of the K and M series can be easily compared to the line of Limiteds..build quality in particular...Limiteds being be the cream of the crop today.)

If you want convenience/on a budget/need AF, go for the 18-50/17-50.

If you want the IQ, Image contrast, bokeh, compactness, metal body, and have the $$, go for the Limited primes.
08-02-2007, 05:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, I don't have the $$$ So I have not much choice but to steer away from limited primes and attack the zoom. Is the sigma or tamron better in QC?
08-02-2007, 05:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Personally, I'd spend the $400-500 and get a couple fast manual zooms instead. :P

As for a direct comparison between the Sigma and Tamron, I suggest you hop over to photozone.de and check their lens reviews. Very detailed and concise. They'll be under the Canon and Nikon sections.

08-02-2007, 07:02 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Well, I don't have the $$$ So I have not much choice but to steer away from limited primes and attack the zoom. Is the sigma or tamron better in QC?
It's extremely unpredictable.

I had a Sigma 28-80 which I paid $20 for, and I swear it matched the Pentax 24-90 in terms of sharpness (less so in build and colour) and came awfully close to primes.

I also had a more expensive Sigma 28-105 to replace my Pentax 28-105 (yes, Sigma replacing a Pentax), and they were both blurry in one corner (or quadrant--that's how bad they were), and neither Sigma nor Pentax really tried hard to fix them.

If you do go with a zoom, make sure you hand-pick, i.e. you try them in the store and take the first one which no alignment issues.

In part because of my shooting style and in part because of my zoom experiences, I shoot all primes of all generations as I have greater confidence in their reliability and shooting performance.