Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
New vs Used lens

I'm looking to add a new lens to my bag..I am wondering If used is good or If I should go for a new one...Use price is ±60% of the new one....

05-24-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mba1971 Quote
I'm looking to add a new lens to my bag..I am wondering If used is good or If I should go for a new one...Use price is ±60% of the new one....
depends on the condition. if you see that it is in mint or excellent condition, then a used copy is all worth it.
05-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My experience so far has been about the same with both. I buy only from reputable sites (this forum, B&H, Adorama, KEH in that order) and have returned 2 new and 2 used lenses for full refund for having some minor issue. After 20 purchases I feel very comfortable with both but used lenses from this forum's marketplace I feel particularly comfortable. New, I prefer B&H as their return policy does not cost you a penny whereas you pay shipping (and in the case of Adorama, both ways, even if it was FREE shipping to you).

OK, I broke down and bought ONE lens through ebay because I have never seen it for sale elsewhere.
05-24-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mba1971 Quote
I have bought many second-hand primes with no issues except for one case where I didn't check the lens carefully enough when I met the seller in person. I did buy a second-hand FA24-90 from KEH many years ago, which was a really good decision. Otherwise I have found the quality variations even in new zooms so great, that I wouldn't risk a secondhand zoom that I couldn't easily return. So: used primes yes, used zooms no.

Tim

05-25-2010, 02:20 AM   #5

I just bought a Pentax F 24-50 f4 the other day for about 60USD. It's in good condition and I tested it on my K-7 before paying. All my three lenses are all bought used. The only lens I bought brand new is the DA18-250. Which I just sold a few weeks ago.
It's ok to buy used as long you could test it before buying.
05-25-2010, 02:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Most of my lenses are second hand but I tested pretty much all of them in person before buying. Actually, I'm pretty sure the only lens I own that is still in production is the FA 50 f/1.4.
05-25-2010, 05:12 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I own two new lenses, and five used lenses. I have owned seven other used lenses over time. As long as you find a reputable seller, owing used lenses is not a problem.

05-25-2010, 07:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I haven't had any problems with used lenses and look for something used first.
05-25-2010, 08:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If you buy the used lens on this forum I would say it is more than safe. I had a pretty bad experience with Ebay where the seller said the glass was completely clean, I have no idea what he was looking at because the glass I received had haze all over it. People on here most of the time post very good and thorough pictures of the lenses before selling. So to answer your question I would look on this forum for whatever particular lens first (be patient, maybe look for a few weeks) then if it does not come up then buy from BH.
05-25-2010, 09:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I don't go to B&H/Adorama anymore for lenses because of their absurd price (IMO). Every lens I own (see signature) except the kit lens and sigma 105mm were bought used I would much rather buy any lens without SDM (Would like a warranty for that ) used over new anyday considering the money I save. On the other hand I will never buy a body used for the same reason I will not buy an SDM lens used (WARRANTY... one of the main reasons I got the K-7 was because of its 3 yr. warranty).

(though I think I might buy the Pentax DA 40mm new considering how people here seem to think they can sell it for ~$10-20 less than the new price despite having it for months )
05-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
actually ive heard some good experience with used camera bodies. seems that as long as shutter count is relatively low for the comparable camera age, it usually turn into a great buy/keeper. but i think that this excludes weather sealing features if the warranty is not valid on a used purchase. so if i ever bought a k20d at a great used price, i will try not use it in the rain or take it into the jungle.
05-25-2010, 09:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
actually ive heard some good experience with used camera bodies. seems that as long as shutter count is relatively low for the comparable camera age, it usually turn into a great buy/keeper. but i think that this excludes weather sealing features if the warranty is not valid on a used purchase. so if i ever bought a k20d at a great used price, i will try not use it in the rain or take it into the jungle.
Well coming from a guy who's K200d broke right after the 1 year warranty ended, Im not so keen on the idea of used bodies :ugh:

Last edited by yeatzee; 05-25-2010 at 09:14 PM.
05-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #13
Pentaxian

99% of my lenses are bought used and I have over 250 lenses. In fact, I only have two lenses that I bought brand new, the kit lens 18-55mm and 55-200mm. Also note that 95% of my lens collection are MF prime lenses which are really well built and less prone to electronic failures than the zoom and AF.

So far I have no complaint about the used ones. Just make sure you buy from a reputable seller test in person if you can. Granted I also had few lemons where I found the lens is not as described, in those case I got full refund.
05-25-2010, 09:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

there are only two lenses that I bought brand new in my line-up. guess what those two are?
05-25-2010, 10:19 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
there are only two lenses that I bought brand new in my line-up. guess what those two are?
Let me guess, DA18-55/3.5-5.6 AL WR. DA55-300/4-5.8?