Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
Can I see the PM?
Why do you want to?

08-03-2007, 07:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Well, you told the whole forum about it, now I'm intrigued.
08-03-2007, 08:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm new enough using forums I was afraid he wouldn't see the PM so I posted a message on a board I know he reads a lot. Since then I've learned when you have a PM the forum notifies you so my post wasn't needed. Live and learn. I just asked him about a couple of lenses I'm thinking of bidding on and didn't want to advertise the items.

regards,
ken
08-03-2007, 10:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
I'm new enough using forums I was afraid he wouldn't see the PM so I posted a message on a board I know he reads a lot. Since then I've learned when you have a PM the forum notifies you so my post wasn't needed. Live and learn. I just asked him about a couple of lenses I'm thinking of bidding on and didn't want to advertise the items.

regards,
ken
So can I also ask FotoPete for advice? It would be nice to have some sort of mentor on lens selection.
08-03-2007, 12:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ask everybody

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
So can I also ask FotoPete for advice? It would be nice to have some sort of mentor on lens selection.
This forum is full of very knowledgeable people that that are more than happy to help you. It just so happens that FotoPete knows the older lenses very well. Besides I didn't want all of you people affected with LBA jumping in on a couple of gems I found.

Regards,

Ken

08-03-2007, 12:43 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Besides I didn't want all of you people affected with LBA jumping in on a couple of gems I found.
But you'd still like all of us photography addicts to jump in and comment on couple of gem pictures you'll perhaps happen to take?
08-03-2007, 01:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
IF I ever get one

QuoteOriginally posted by aabram Quote
But you'd still like all of us photography addicts to jump in and comment on couple of gem pictures you'll perhaps happen to take?
Of course!! And when I make a mess of something I'll be on here in a new york minute begging you to help me out. I'm buried up here in the Maine woods with the closest camera store being a 2 hour drive away and you people are the only ones that can help me improve.
You old pros have no idea of how much novices like me depend on your willingness to share your knowledge with us.

Thanks,

Ken

Last edited by regken; 08-03-2007 at 05:52 PM.
08-03-2007, 05:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I can't tell you how honoured I feel with all these comments! It makes me happy to have been of help .

Oh btw, I'm no 'old pro' at all haha. I'm only 19 and am a very big tech nerd. (which is why you see me talking more about lenses rather than taking photos...like another certain forum member... =P).

As for being pro, I have just about a year's experience. I got my first SLR (Canon Rebel II) just about the same time last year. The combination of Canon screwing my shots over with AF and my dad having a small collection of Pentax+Ricoh stuff propelled me to trade my Canon for a Pentax MZ-M a month later. Its probably the best decision I've ever made.

(Pentax, although not apparent today, still offers the best photographic potential for your $$ primary because of its backwards compatibility.)

I never trusted autofocus after the Canon. With Pentax, I've been getting manual lenses ever since and for a fraction of the cost of auto focus lenses. Late Sept last year, not long after I got my MZ-M film slr, I entered digital with a Samsung GX-1L.

Most of the knowledge I have can be credited to online communities like you guys here at PF. I learnt photography with DPR (just read the reviews and ended up learning how cameras worked, what their functions do) and camped out at the DCR forums. Then over time with alot of foruming/google/trial and error with ebay and camerashops, I found out more about the world that was Pentax's decades ago.

It took me quite some time later to leave DCR to PF but eventually I realized the canikon marketing speils were too much and came over here hoping to find a richer Pentaxian community and find one I did.

The reason why Pentax still lives on is predominantly in the lasting presence of the K1000. It was the famous starter camera in photography courses that really forced you to get down and dirty with its manual functions. Nowadays more and more people are skipping the manual learning phase and going straight to dslr. (Most of these people are hobbyists/enthusiasts/average joes and janes that don't have thousands to spend.) Alot of people come asking about various lenses(some they can't realistically afford), auto functions, IQ and most tragically...how to get satisfying photos even after spending a fortune on their dslr setups.

I was lucky enough to have had a bad experience with Canon because it steered me into the manual control aspect very early on. When you are forced load the film, to set the aperture yourself, focus yourself, etc..you take more time with that shot because if you screw up, there is alot to lose... especially if you use a film slr. In practice, over time you'll develop a good handle on your camera and ultimately form your sense of style/creatively...or what people might call "The Eye". On the other hand if you went auto, there is a large tendency to literally just point and shoot because you know the camera will largely focus on something that you point at and set everything automatically. Then again, why spend $1000s on a dslr and lenses if all you use is auto?

This is one of the big reasons why I will recommend manual lenses ahead of present day digital lenses...

-Photographic potential.
-Not only fitting your budget but making the most of money spent.