Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
Forum Member

What is Pentax's quality standard?

I thought, this might be of a general interest...
Couple of weeks ago I posted here my complaint about a bad Pentax DA 10-17mm FE lens. While I managed to arrange with the dealer I bought the lens from a replacement lens (should have it back in a week or so), I also contacted about the problem Pentax Canada.
They asked me to send them several full size example pictures, which itself turned out to be a problem, as their email will barely handle 5MB at a time, so I sent only two separate emails with two pictures.
Today I got a phone call from them telling me that they examined the pictures and that there is nothing wrong with them, but if I want, I could send in both the lens and the camera.
Just to make sure that I am not unreasonable, I am attaching two 1024x768, 100% resolution cutouts from the original two pictures for your perusal. Both pictures were taken at 1/640 shutter speed, the first one is with AF and SR enabled, the second one is in MF, lens in infinity and SR off.
Your feedback would be appreciated.

Attached Images

05-25-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, those are terrible even for 100%. Pentax Canada either has really bad eyesight or the 10-17 FE is a terrible lens. I think its the former and not the latter. I don't understand why they would need your camera too, cant they test the lens on one of their own cameras?
05-25-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If you cancel out any user error, that is really odd answer. Even if there was some user error, they should have pointed it out and requested more samples but telling that they are fine, is laughing at their customers.
I'd expect anything to be told, except that there is nothing wrong with them.
Why would they like to take your camera and lens, that they think has nothing wrong with it?

Really strange...
05-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I agree. Those pictures are cr@p. But I have a suggestion for you for transferring large files to people that don't have email that can handle it:

Get a free account on Dropbox. They will give you 2Gb. Put a picture in your "public" directory and right click on it and select: "Dropbox" and "copy Public Link". It will copy a link to your clipboard that you can paste in an email. When the person you are sending it to clicks the link, it will download the file. That way you can send full-res images to people discretely.

Also, if you insert a ?dl at the end of the link, it will force the image to download when they click it, instead of open it.

05-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, I would certainly send in the lens, but request that the person who checked on the photos please get nowhere near your equipment. He is not qualified enough to tie his own shoes.

Not sure how that lens behaves, but focusing to infinity will not necessarily cause any of the image to be in focus. Not sure how far this is from the expected result for infinity focus. (I'm guessing it should be a bit better).

There is certainly a problem with the image taken with AF.
05-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Something is clearly wrong, but I am puzzled why the 2nd shot MF at infinity will be that blurry? Either the lens focus way pass infinity, or your camera film plane is not right. The following shot was taken at 10mm wide open iso800 *istDS 6MP, just to give you an idea.

IMGP0012.jpg photo - Alan Chan photos at pbase.com
05-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

holy purple fringes....
05-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Luma, something is very wrong here:

Why did you push the shutter release if that's what you saw in the viewfinder? Or are you claiming that what you saw was sharp, and this is what you got? That's a big difference.

Do you have other shots you took with this lens, and ANOTHER lens?

In addition, the mail file size limit is certainly not unheard of, it's standard, and there's no reason to send a full size file for this anyway. You could have cropped, or resized like you did here, to show them the problem.

But seriously, these examples are beyond bad.

05-25-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for the Dropbox idea on exchanging large files. Will setup my account right away...
05-25-2010, 03:47 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have no problem with any of my other lenses, so I do not think that there is any issue with camera. As for the infinity focus, I think that 10-17mm lens when set to infinity should be perfectly sharp at anything over, say, two meters.
05-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ira,
I have a split image focussing screen installed and it does confirm perfectly the camera AF "in focus" green light - on this lens and any other lens. Certainly one can hardly judge the sharpness of what you see in viewfinder vs. what you can see on a 4288x2848 pixels picture.
05-25-2010, 04:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
holy purple fringes....
Yup... this lens LOVES PF!!
05-25-2010, 04:46 PM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luma Quote
Ira,
I have a split image focussing screen installed and it does confirm perfectly the camera AF "in focus" green light - on this lens and any other lens. Certainly one can hardly judge the sharpness of what you see in viewfinder vs. what you can see on a 4288x2848 pixels picture.
Yeah, but you can sure judge it closer than that!

In other words, you're saying what you saw was sharp, with focus confirmation, and this is what you got?

Edit:

After rereading your post again and seeing what you did, that lens is total toast. Who did you buy it from?
05-25-2010, 06:05 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Yeah, but you can sure judge it closer than that!

In other words, you're saying what you saw was sharp, with focus confirmation, and this is what you got?

Edit:

After rereading your post again and seeing what you did, that lens is total toast. Who did you buy it from?
Yes, viewfinder view "seemed" sharp enough, mind you I wear +2 for distance and +3.5 for reading glasses That is why I use split image focusing screen, which never failed me so far.

I bought the lens from a Canadian ebay outfit called 'prodigital2000', my understanding is that they are an ebay arm of a real photo store. They are Pentax Canada authorized dealer, very competitive prices. This was my second major purchase from them, very happy with the first one and very happy with their customer service.