Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2010, 03:00 PM   #1

Pentax 43mm f/1.9 limited & purple fringing?

i've just got my 43 ltd & i'm not sure if that purple fringing is quiet obvious on this lens?
How's your expirience with it?

Thank you!

05-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Hi MojcaP...and welcome to the forums!

I haven't tested my 43 ltd specifically for this, however I haven't blatantly noticed it either (in comparison to my 77 ltd which can be quite obvious in very high contrast situations).

I find the best way to test this is to stand at the base of a dark coloured tree - aiming up at a branch with a bright sky above. If the lens is going to fringe this will assuredly show you how much it will do it.

Hope this helps!

c[_]
05-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shoot with some bright specular reflections (like chrome or off anything metallic) and you'll see the fringing.

My own example with the FA 43mm shot awhile back (exif intact):
05-27-2010, 03:30 AM   #4

Original Poster
thank you all, i'll post some examples later...

05-27-2010, 05:37 AM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
remember that just about ANY lens can be forced to PF under certain conditions. Unfortunately PF is probably the biggest weakness of Pentax lenses in general. Even venerable lenses like FAltds and DAltds are exhibiting it to certain extent...
You should do two things:
a) know your gear to learn how to control PF as much as possible
b) learn to live with the rest of it...

BR
Peter
05-27-2010, 06:54 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
remember that just about ANY lens can be forced to PF under certain conditions. Unfortunately PF is probably the biggest weakness of Pentax lenses in general. Even venerable lenses like FAltds and DAltds are exhibiting it to certain extent...
You should do two things:
a) know your gear to learn how to control PF as much as possible
b) learn to live with the rest of it...

BR
Peter
I may be wrong but I do believe that PF and CA are weaknesses of the digital format and not necessarily the lenses. I use to take a lot of slides with my Olympus OM4 (and OM1) with some pretty junk type lenses, and until I stepped into the Digital (especially SLR) world, never whitnessed PF at all.

I HAVE seen it in motion pictures, taken in digital video format, and somehow I doubt these were made with consumer grade cameras and lenses.

05-27-2010, 07:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Peter, you evidently have not tried the Voigtlander 125mm Apo-Lanthar because there is negligible PF with this lens.

What I found unacceptable with my copy of the FA 43mm Ltd is the color fringing occurs right smack in the middle. To me that's even worse than the FA 50mm that I had. The 43mm may exhibit better sharpness but this lens' Achilles heel is definitely the PF. My current copy of the 43mm does show less PF but it is still there, even stopped down. Thankfully the K-7 can control it somewhat in-camera and thanks to the folks at Adobe for Photoshop CS5.
05-27-2010, 08:25 AM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I may be wrong but I do believe that PF and CA are weaknesses of the digital format and not necessarily the lenses. I use to take a lot of slides with my Olympus OM4 (and OM1) with some pretty junk type lenses, and until I stepped into the Digital (especially SLR) world, never whitnessed PF at all.

I HAVE seen it in motion pictures, taken in digital video format, and somehow I doubt these were made with consumer grade cameras and lenses.

I believe both of us are right/wrong here. I know sensor design plays big role in the PF occurring but still some lenses are better than others so lens design matters too IMO...

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Peter, you evidently have not tried the Voigtlander 125mm Apo-Lanthar because there is negligible PF with this lens.

What I found unacceptable with my copy of the FA 43mm Ltd is the color fringing occurs right smack in the middle. To me that's even worse than the FA 50mm that I had. The 43mm may exhibit better sharpness but this lens' Achilles heel is definitely the PF. My current copy of the 43mm does show less PF but it is still there, even stopped down. Thankfully the K-7 can control it somewhat in-camera and thanks to the folks at Adobe for Photoshop CS5.
No I haven't tried mentioned Voiglander but that's exactly why I wrote "just about any lens". I do realize there are better and worse lenses... My 43ltd is decent with PF, I consider it's IQ (and that's PF/CAs including) wide open better than that of my 31ltd and perhaps better than 50/1.2...

05-27-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I believe both of us are right/wrong here. I know sensor design plays big role in the PF occurring but still some lenses are better than others so lens design matters too IMO...

Then it's a compound problem or rather issue. Since I consider myself pretty fair at controlling it, I don't worry too much about it. Now if I couldn't control it with a given lens, THEN it would be a Problem for me and the lens would be going back to where I bought it from..

05-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #10

Hi,

The highlights in your picture seem to be a bit overexposed. Have you tried with a lower overexposure and with a good UV filter on the lens ?

Cheers
05-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I stand with Peter (axl) on this issue.

My personal experience has been:
  • Never seen typical PF on film. CA yes...PF no.
  • Almost all lenses have some CA on both film and digital
  • Can generate PF with any lens I own on the K10D, though some lenses are worse than others
  • Don't own a Voigtlander APO anything, though I would like to
  • There is no particular correlation between CA and PF on the lenses that I own
Before someone decides that I deserve some heat, let me say that I am aware of the CA resources on the Web and am also aware that at least one reputable source is unwilling to dismiss CA as being the root cause of PF. I think it enough to say that the silence on the issue from major camera makers is evidence enough that PF represents a technical issue with the current sensor technology and is not something that can be corrected by better optics. After all, when was the last time you saw a lens or camera advertised as being "immune to PF"?

Steve