Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mishap with the DA 35mm!

As some of you may know, Ole and I received a coplimentary copy of the DA 15mm and DA 21mm from B&H, of which we were planning to do an in-depth review of for the site. While I was at it, I also ordered a DA 35mm from Adorama. Today, we sat down to start the reviews, but during our initial tests of "Handling", I discoved that the lower ring- the one that says 'Pentax 35'- was loose and wobbly on the macro. You could move it back and forth about a millimeter! Obviously this can't be, so I've e-mailed their customer support and hopefully I can get a new one not only for the review, but also or my trip next month. Otherwise, it seemed like a really great lens, with quick AF and equally managable MF. Looking forward to getting a pristine copy for use with both wide-angles and close-ups! /end rant

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Where are you going next month, and what lenses are you bringing?

You gotta bring the 15!
05-25-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The 15 has to be sent back to B&H, sadly I'll probably end up actually buying one later on.

I was otherwise planning on taking the DA 35 Macro, FA* 85, and FA* 200 Macro.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-25-2010, 10:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The 15 has to be sent back to B&H, sadly I'll probably end up actually buying one later on.

I was otherwise planning on taking the DA 35 Macro, FA* 85, and FA* 200 Macro. Hidden content may not be quoted

Three of the best Pentax lenses ever made there, but that location begs for a WA lens! Don't you have a 12-24 still? If not, I think you should order a DA 15 to throw in the bag. It's so much smaller than those others, you won't even notice the extra few ounces.

05-25-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I do, but I don't like the 12-24mm and my copy has a damaged hood, which screws up the photos at 12mm.

I could take the 50-135, but I don't like it either. If it's raining, camera's not coming out, I guess.

EDIT: Thought you wrote WR, not WA. I'm not much of a wide-angle guy, actually. I prefer shooting at a single focal length in order get an artistic composition rather than being tempted to document those beautiful sights In the past, my kit consisted of the FA 20-35 + FA* 85 (+ sometimes FA* 80-200). The wide-angle zoom wasn't bad, but I believe the DA 35 would be better (IQ wise, hence the switch). In any case, the 85mm is what gets used 90% of the time, anyway. The FA* 200 macro only made the cut because it blew me away last week (at its first real outing)!

Adam