Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2010, 01:50 AM   #1
Forum Member

Is this bokeh ok for 77ltd

Recently bought an fa 77 ltd and it would be much appreciated if someone could give me their opinion on these examples of bokeh. Please tell me if I am imagining it but is there a spot in the middle of the shapes in the bokeh and if it is normal.

Images about 100% crops all taken at f1.8

05-26-2010, 02:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian

yeah that is pretty typical of the FA77; unlike some lenses out there it's coma is most apparent at a distance with the aperture approaching f/1.8...though the practical upshot of this is at close focus it's coma is very well corrected: Meaning the OOF blur at wider apertures of portraits is typically rendered in a very uniform and smooth way*. The green/magenta outline seen on the fringes of highlights in the OOF portion of the images are another trait of the FA77. As I understand it, the DA77 has better control of these optical aberrations, but of course the DA70 is a stop or so slower**

*of course are situations where even a lens with theoretically perfect bokeh will stuff up, fast lenses like the FA77 need to be stopped down a bit for consistent bokeh f/4 is the sweet spot on this lens.

**It is a known fact that both lenses at f/2.4 the FA77 is typically 1/4th of a stop faster than the DA pancake.

Last edited by Digitalis; 05-26-2010 at 02:11 AM.
05-26-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info. Coma? I'll google and see what I can find. Thought it was something I went into on a Friday night after a few beers.

Thanks again
05-26-2010, 07:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

From my experience with the 77lim... it's best to avoid busy and really contrasty backgrounds...

05-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

This really is a super little lens but it's not as faultless and magical as people say it is. You really need to know it's strengths and weakness to produce those wonderfully rendered images you see on PPG or whatever.

I don't see how anyone rates it a 9 or 10 on the reviews on this site, the severe cyan fringing alone means it can't get top marks considering it's that creamy bokeh you're after when you buy this thing for $800.
05-26-2010, 08:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ummm...I fail to see the issue here...
  • Full resolution crops (aka 100% crop)
  • Wide open
  • Full sunlight
  • Distant specular highlights
When, pray tell, would bokeh be important for this sort of subject and when would the normal viewer be exposed to the full resolution crop?

Mind you, I understand the desire for an expensive lens to be "perfect", but a reality check is in order. I have a number of lenses of various ages, pedigree, and value and ALL show the following "faults" under certain circumstances:
  • Poor sharpness over all or part of the frame
  • Purple fringing on my K10D
  • "Busy" or harsh bokeh
  • Some degree of veiling flare
Out of the lenses that I own, the FA 77/1.8 is one of the more consistent performers along with the K 55/1.8, FA 35/2, Helios 44M 58/2, and Auto-Rikenon 50/1.7. It is definitely the most expensive lens I own, but I still consider it a good value compared to other options (Zeiss?) in the 70-90mm focal length range.

Steve
05-26-2010, 08:53 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sometimes that can be taken advantage of if its not overwhelming. I like to get the effect with small lights in evening & night shots. This was from the standard size white Christmas type lights shot just after sunset.