Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2010, 04:29 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
just ask how much they are selling the DA40's here in Canada.
Let me take a wild guess, U.S. $399 from Prodigital2000 ?

QuoteQuote:
Thats' ironic. Most people in North America and Europe look at the M 40mm as if it were a paper weight promotion that Asahi Optical had going back in the 80s.
Yes, quite ironic of that. An M 40 here sells fast, rarely goes on auction and I have never seen it in a used store. If so, its gone in an instant.

06-01-2010, 10:27 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
Let me take a wild guess, U.S. $399 from Prodigital2000 ?

$400 + import duties.

locally, you can buy it for $500.

and yet we have a Pentax Canada branch. lol
06-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by samski_1 Quote
Is there a good reason why the FA limiteds are more expensive than the DA limiteds?
Made in Japan. Better quality control, maybe?
06-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #34
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
if you wanna know about highway robbery, just ask how much they are selling the DA40's here in Canada.
+1 to that

06-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
$400 + import duties.

locally, you can buy it for $500.

and yet we have a Pentax Canada branch. lol
ouch! canadians must be rich! is that the same for all other lenses?
06-01-2010, 12:32 PM   #36
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Prodigital is a Canadian seller. Plus, if you were to hypothetically order something from BH, you shouldn't be charged import duty on 35mm cameras and lenses because of NAFTA agreements. I ordered my DA 35mm from Prodigital2000 and it came from Canada duty free because of NAFTA.
06-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Prodigital is a Canadian seller. Plus, if you were to hypothetically order something from BH, you shouldn't be charged import duty on 35mm cameras and lenses because of NAFTA agreements. I ordered my DA 35mm from Prodigital2000 and it came from Canada duty free because of NAFTA.
I would like to argue or even point out the NAFTA rule, but that doesn't work here, especially in B.C. our politicians have ways of trying to milk out every ounce of loonie from us saying that the province has a huge budget deficit to deal with, yet they continue to spend all of it over and over again on useless ventures. we are fastly becoming like the U.S. the healthcare system is not that good as it was before, employees are getting much more demanding and lazy and less effective, we produce too much paper. the sad thing is, our politicians don't save money on fear that their budget would be cut. what's to fear on something that you wouldn't use rather than waste? call it paranoia caused by stupidity.

06-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
is that the same for all other lenses?
yes ! we are not rich and you will see most of us buy stuff across the border, on eBay, or look at our local craigslist for good deals rather than buy something brand new locally.
06-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Plus, some people act like the 43 ltd is a huge lens even though it is only 0.1 inch longer than the requirement to be consider a pancake lens!
The FA43 is actually the smallest lens I would want on my camera. Any smaller and you can't use the darned things. Though of course once aperture rings and such are removed there's little you need to do with a lens anyway.

QuoteOriginally posted by Voe Quote
After the price hike, the lens started to get more appreciation, and now is considered a great lens, even better than the 43mm.
Yep, I see those posts and shake my head. The DA40 is slower, less sharp, has more vignetting, is missing the aperture ring and won't work on full-frame. It does have less CA, but I have never found that an annoyance. The only way it's better is that it is cheaper, but IMO over-priced for what you get. Oh, and it has no pixie dust.

But still a fine lens that can take a good picture.
06-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #40
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Yep, I see those posts and shake my head. The DA40 is slower, less sharp, has more vignetting, is missing the aperture ring and won't work on full-frame. It does have less CA, but I have never found that an annoyance. The only way it's better is that it is cheaper, but IMO over-priced for what you get. Oh, and it has no pixie dust.

But still a fine lens that can take a good picture.
Robin...I love your posts!

c[_]
06-01-2010, 08:00 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I feel your pain, my Canadian friends. I have a buddy who lives in Halifax. I routinely purchase musical and audio equipment for him here in the States. Even covering my shipping expenses, he's still saving upwards of 50%. At least you can point with some pride to your federal budget deficit - much smaller than ours, not only in real currency terms but also as a percentage of GDP. So that's something, eh?
06-02-2010, 01:49 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Do the limiteds have any waterproofing or is that only the WR and star lenses?
06-02-2010, 02:04 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mz-3 Quote
Made in Japan. Better quality control, maybe?
FYI: the FA Limiteds are now made in Vietnam.
06-02-2010, 05:38 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Robin...I love your posts!
Maybe that's because you too are schizoid?

While it's fun to argue the merits of one lens over another, in reality, for most people, almost any will do. Holding both points of view in mind simultaneously takes some practice, but is great fun.
06-02-2010, 10:03 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Price is the hardest thing to argue. The reality is that it is what it is. Whether or not you are willing to pay the price that a lens is selling for is up to you. I got my DA 40 for much cheaper than they are selling for now, but when you consider that it is selling for a little less than the FA 50 in the US then it isn't too bad.

Speaking of over priced, the FA 50 and 35 strike me that way...