Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm curious to see what the street price is like in Canada. The FA 77 is in the $800 to $1050 range (+tax) here depending on which retailer you're dealing with. If the image quality is there I don't see $900 US as being out of line for an 85 f/1.4. Henry's claims that they want $1400 for the Zeiss 85mm.

05-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
I'm curious to see what the street price is like in Canada. The FA 77 is in the $800 to $1050 range (+tax) here depending on which retailer you're dealing with. If the image quality is there I don't see $900 US as being out of line for an 85 f/1.4. Henry's claims that they want $1400 for the Zeiss 85mm.
"Henry's" prices are wack. I never buy from them, but I do drop by to touch/feel/test things...then I order from the states and pay way less (even with currency conversion and possible duty fees). The staff at my local store moan when I come in now, because I'll even get them to order something for me to look at - only to tell them, "No, thanks"...and order from the US when I get home.

I think this lens is priced right. I would have liked to have seen it in the $750 range, but I don't think this is unreasonable.

I'm kicking around moving to Nikon anyways, and this is a fair bit cheaper than their 85mm f/1.4 which I would invariably get.

c[_]
05-26-2010, 04:29 PM   #18
Banned

Photos: Albums
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Rokinon/Samyang 85/1.4 as an alternative - it's available for around $250.
05-26-2010, 04:34 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Rokinon/Samyang 85/1.4 as an alternative - it's available for around $250.
Well im sure we are all aware of that lens, but considering Pentax's COMPLETE lack of an AF 85mm other than the FA*, and the fact that lens does not fit into this category

05-26-2010, 04:38 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
"Henry's" prices are wack. I never buy from them, but I do drop by to touch/feel/test things...then I order from the states and pay way less (even with currency conversion and possible duty fees). The staff at my local store moan when I come in now, because I'll even get them to order something for me to look at - only to tell them, "No, thanks"...and order from the US when I get home.

I think this lens is priced right. I would have liked to have seen it in the $750 range, but I don't think this is unreasonable.

I'm kicking around moving to Nikon anyways, and this is a fair bit cheaper than their 85mm f/1.4 which I would invariably get.

c[_]
Under NAFTA, you shouldn't be getting hit with "duty" on cameras and lenses because they are exempt since neither Canada or the U.S. makes either.
05-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Under NAFTA, you shouldn't be getting hit with "duty" on cameras and lenses because they are exempt since neither Canada or the U.S. makes either.
Tell that to the UPS guys when they drop off my gear! I've never had to pay more than what I would have paid in sales tax buying local...so it's really not a big deal.

c[_]
05-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Price in Australia is $Aus1149 here:

Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM | Camera-Warehouse

05-26-2010, 04:54 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Tell that to the UPS guys when they drop off my gear! I've never had to pay more than what I would have paid in sales tax buying local...so it's really not a big deal.

c[_]
I would tell them. I'd be in their office. Sales tax and duty are 2 different animals. I even have a copy of the rules from the International Trade Commission to shove up the local managers arse.

35mm SLR Film Cameras -- Duty free (#9006.51.00)
Digital Cameras -- Duty free (#8525.80.40)
Lenses -- Duty free (#9002.11.90)

http://www.usitc.gov/publications/docs/tata/hts/bychapter/1000c90.pdf
05-26-2010, 06:09 PM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I would tell them. I'd be in their office. Sales tax and duty are 2 different animals. I even have a copy of the rules from the International Trade Commission to shove up the local managers arse.

35mm SLR Film Cameras -- Duty free (#9006.51.00)
Digital Cameras -- Duty free (#8525.80.40)
Lenses -- Duty free (#9002.11.90)

http://www.usitc.gov/publications/docs/tata/hts/bychapter/1000c90.pdf
Helpful info Blue, I appreciate it. I haven't read the info from the link, but wondered if this is only relevant to new items, or would it also apply to used as well? I'm asking as I'm expecting a lightly used K-7 to replace my K10 back-up in a couple of days now that's coming from the US.

c[_]

P.S. Sorry, don't mean to derail this thread.
05-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Helpful info Blue, I appreciate it. I haven't read the info from the link, but wondered if this is only relevant to new items, or would it also apply to used as well? I'm asking as I'm expecting a lightly used K-7 to replace my K10 back-up in a couple of days now that's coming from the US.

c[_]

P.S. Sorry, don't mean to derail this thread.
You would need to look at the Canadian equivalent but it should be very similar due to NAFTA. It doesn't matter if it is used. I think UPS and FedEx have a racket going by applying the "duty" stuff in a general way rather than by specifics. I've noticed that with the Canadian mail and U.S. Mail, there are far less problems with this.

Edit: Since many people have to rely on ordering items like this, it is peripherally important to the thread.
05-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
That price isn't too bad. I would pay more, and have, for a Pentax 85 1.4. Mainly because they have aperture rings. Same for the Zeiss. Plus, I've never been floored by either of the Sigma lenses I've had. It will be interesting to see how it performs though.

P.S. For those quoting prices for the Zeiss at $1300 or $1400: Zeiss 85mm Only $957
It would be cheaper than the Sigma if you used Bing cashback or made a low offer they couldn't refuse They've been up there for several months at that price, so they might be looking to get rid of them.

Last edited by Votesh; 05-26-2010 at 09:45 PM.
05-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster

c[_]
not to mention I had to pay them for scratching my lens.
05-26-2010, 11:06 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I don't think that people would go for the FA* just for it's resale value. it is more like needs and considering the extreme rarity and price of the FA* in the used market makes the demand even higher. this is not really a buy and sell item if you ask me.
Interestingly, just *one day* before this news I got myself a nice FA* 85/1.4, with box, papers and case. I could not care less about the Sigma, but it's great that we now have more options than just the Samyang 85/1.4 or Zeiss ZK 85/1.4. Sigma is indeed a great company if you want lenses that Pentax simply does not offer (like extreme-telephotos, that's why I have the 500/4.5 from them) but at the same time I never was overly impressed with their optical performance. Because there's so much more than sharpness and besides, can you name just one legendary Sigma lens?

By the way: "extreme rarity" is an overstatement IMHO with regards to the availability of the FA* 85. There's always one or two on the marketplace, so if you want one you could have one in your hands in a few days. The FA* 200/4 macro, on the other hand (just like its older brother the A*) I regard as extremely rare indeed.
05-27-2010, 12:05 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Interestingly, just *one day* before this news I got myself a nice FA* 85/1.4, with box, papers and case. I could not care less about the Sigma, but it's great that we now have more options than just the Samyang 85/1.4 or Zeiss ZK 85/1.4. Sigma is indeed a great company if you want lenses that Pentax simply does not offer (like extreme-telephotos, that's why I have the 500/4.5 from them) but at the same time I never was overly impressed with their optical performance. Because there's so much more than sharpness and besides, can you name just one legendary Sigma lens?

By the way: "extreme rarity" is an overstatement IMHO with regards to the availability of the FA* 85. There's always one or two on the marketplace, so if you want one you could have one in your hands in a few days. The FA* 200/4 macro, on the other hand (just like its older brother the A*) I regard as extremely rare indeed.
I believe the term "legendary" only applies to lenses that are discontinued or hard to find. I can't say or vouch for the older Sigmas since I myself was unimpressed with the older ones. however, some of the newer models are making a great impression and built a great reputation as well. unless they become rare and discontinued, then they can be considered as legendary.

maybe it is easier in Netherlands to acquire a copy of the FA*85. if I had only known that it would be easy to get 1 or 2 for $800 after a few days, I would had own one probably by now. but since I still haven't gotten myself a copy for a year now, simply tells that it is not that easy that you might think for us here in North America,thus making the lens extremely rare for us to find. unless 5 people in the marketplace would be able to get a copy in a month, then the lens wouldn't qualify as something extremely rare. as far as I know, there had only been 3 or 4 copies of the FA*85 that had been sold in the marketplace in a year and I don't think that those are different copies but rather a change in ownership among Pentax members.

anyway, it is good that Sigma made an 85mm. this would possibly affect the market value of the Pentax FA*85, regardless of it's legendary status. this would however depend on the performance of the new lens. so I'm hopeful that the Sigma 85 does perform great inorder for that to materialize.

I do feel that the prices of some of the older lenses are pretty much overpriced, even for a used copy. not because that the new lenses aren't any better, but the misconception that being labeled as legendary would make the lens untouchable or doesn't have an equal. some can be true, and some aren't. so it's up to the owner to notice which lens are which. I don't believe that lens and optical design are going backwards but more leaning towards getting better, affordable and available. I believe this is also what we are leaning towards what we want as well.
05-27-2010, 12:27 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I believe the term "legendary" only applies to lenses that are discontinued or hard to find. I can't say or vouch for the older Sigmas since I myself was unimpressed with the older ones. however, some of the newer models are making a great impression and built a great reputation as well. unless they become rare and discontinued, then they can be considered as legendary.
Agreed. Maybe I should concentrate more on the newer lenses. I know so little about them.

QuoteQuote:
maybe it is easier in Netherlands to acquire a copy of the FA*85. if I had only known that it would be easy to get 1 or 2 for $800 after a few days, I would had own one probably by now. but since I still haven't gotten myself a copy for a year now, simply tells that it is not that easy that you might think for us here in North America,thus making the lens extremely rare for us to find.
To be fair: I bought it on eBay UK where I found a BIN one for... EUR 850, roughly US$1000. It's this one:

I think the price is fair for what I'll get. And I know one that was on sale a few weeks ago in The Netherlands, that went for EUR 850 too. That was the first one I saw for sale for a few years. But I meant to say that on the worldwide market, there are always a few available. Not necessarily cheap, though.

QuoteQuote:
anyway, it is good that Sigma made an 85mm. this would possibly affect the market value of the Pentax FA*85, regardless of it's legendary status. this would however depend on the performance of the new lens. so I'm hopeful that the Sigma 85 does perform great inorder for that to materialize.
I don't think for a moment that the price of the FA* will come down because of the Sigma. Or would you think that the FA* 600/4 is getting cheaper because you can buy a new Sigma 500/4.5? No, it will retain a collector value...

QuoteQuote:
I do feel that the prices of some of the older lenses are pretty much overpriced, even for a used copy. not because that the new lenses aren't any better, but the misconception that being labeled as legendary would make the lens untouchable or doesn't have an equal. some can be true, and some aren't. so it's up to the owner to notice which lens are which. I don't believe that lens and optical design are going backwards but more leaning towards getting better, affordable and available. I believe this is also what we are leaning towards what we want as well.
Agreed on the price and availability, but not on the optical design. There haven't been huge leaps in optical design; many lenses still rely on design principles which are older than most of the forum members. What I still don't understand is why nobody makes APO versions of a 50/1.4 or 85/1.4 so that these show absolutely no CA. I think this is due to the fact that supercorrected lenses are sharp and free of PF/CA, but have a not so desirable bokeh. This is especially important in f/1.4 lenses.

I'm waiting for samples of the Sigma, but I think I will have a hard time justifying a purchase