Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2010, 10:27 PM   #46

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
Are you sure that's not because of their name? After all, what bodily secretion sounds phonetically similar to 'zeiss'?
scheisse

05-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #47
Veteran Member

^^^^^^^^^
If you buy the Sigma in Canada, you get a 10 year warranty, no? Why would they do that if their lenses were of inferior build quality and not expected to last?
05-27-2010, 11:01 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Exactly.
does this include the EX build?
05-27-2010, 11:17 PM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
Considering the Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 ZK Planar T* goes for $1200 or so, $900 doesn't seem that outrageous for a Sigma AF lens, especially if the optics are good.
the zeiss can be purchased for under $1k (new) on ebay from popflash - a very respectable retailer. even though i would personally prefer af, the sigma would have to be stellar rather than good to match the zeiss and command $900. looking forward to the reviews.

05-28-2010, 12:58 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
^^^^^^^^^
If you buy the Sigma in Canada, you get a 10 year warranty, no? Why would they do that if their lenses were of inferior build quality and not expected to last?
You are free to believe or not. VW offered good warranty on paper as well but they have never been able to fix the faulty alarm and riddle chassis since day one. My VW is 10 years old and still running on the road, but it drinks oil faster than I drink beer. It would be my 1st and final VW. This of course, has nothing to do with Sigma which I was using for many years with joy, but that does not mean they were on par with C/N/P lenses. As I said, Sigma is good on sharpness, but average to poor on pretty much everything else. The same goes for Tamron which offers 5 year warranty in some part of the world. Again, a few awesome optics which are truly 1st class, but let down by build quality which cannot hold the fine optics aligned, so what's the point? Yes, they can be awesome if you got a fine sample, but do babe them with care or they would be out of alignment in no time. Many Pentax optics can take lots of abuse and still aligned. I'd rather buy something well made and offer me many years of trouble-free service than something with lifetime warranty that I have no faith in. And be honest to yourself. If you were offered the FA*85/1.4 and Sigma AF for your own use only w/o selling it for profit, which would you choose? The choice is yours.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
does this include the EX build?
Yes IMHO, many will disagree though, like my view on some Pentax cons. IMHO, the reason to buy Sigma is either they were unique, or the alternatives were too expensive to consider. The Sigma in this case is priced too close to other 85mm. It won't matter how good it is, you are going to be hurt when trying to sell it afterward.
05-28-2010, 02:15 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I dunno, I'm still not sure if the tolerance of the EX build does not last that longer than the Pentax. there are a few issues with the Sigma but that doesn't have to do with build quality nor such stress factor over time got the elements misaligned. misaligned elements from what I saw or read were noticed when initially tried even before the lens had been used extensively, this would had been attributed to QC during assembly, not stress tolerance. besides, I haven't heard of any reports yet that some EX build lenses got misaligned after long periods of use.

if my lens lasts for 10 years, I would be happy. a decade of use is long enough and by that time, my interests might have already shifted. I dont understand either why would buying the Sigma would hurt if ever I decide to sell it? as far as I know, the only other AF 85mm that the Sigma directly competes against is the FA*85, which is sold $300 more than the Sigma. and these are used copies. I cant blame Sigma for pricing the Sigma at around $900. although it can be sold for less than that at around $650, but you have to remove the HSM. sounds logical.
05-28-2010, 03:23 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I dunno, I'm still not sure if the tolerance of the EX build does not last that longer than the Pentax. there are a few issues with the Sigma but that doesn't have to do with build quality nor such stress factor over time got the elements misaligned. misaligned elements from what I saw or read were noticed when initially tried even before the lens had been used extensively, this would had been attributed to QC during assembly, not stress tolerance. besides, I haven't heard of any reports yet that some EX build lenses got misaligned after long periods of use.
Basically there are 2 ways to make lenses. The expensive but better way is to craft the metal parts with tight tolerance then assembled them w/o further lateral realignment. All good old Pentax lenses were made this way and they are as good as they were new. The cheap way is to do the alignment through a set of screws after assembling. Many cheap lenses are made this way and prone to shift afterward, and some would be so far off could never be good. Some modern Pentax zooms are made this way, pretty much all Tamron are too, and I am not too certain on Sigma. The major problem with Sigma however, is the choice of materials which wear a lot faster than OEM lenses, and probably why they are cheaper in the first place. Now 10 years seem a long time, but consider the FA*85 was selling at $800 back then, and you can command $1200 now used. You would be luck if you got 1/2 what you paid for any Sigma.
05-28-2010, 03:45 AM   #53
Inactive Account

I don't fear buying Sigma lenses. The two I have are both stellar and I would buy them again.

I also have owned 3 VW's (and currently own one now) and all 3 have been the best cars I've ever driven. None of the three (and one was a cheap Fox) have required anything beyond basic maintenance.

On the other hand I've owned two Chevy's and they've both been absolute lemons. My last one was in the shop 26 times in my first year of ownership (a/c went, all 4 struts, battery, radio, dash lights, trunk release, car stays running when key removed, replacement of clutch, steering replacement). Luckily I only leased that car for 4 years and was able to give it back to them. I logged over 60 visits to the dealership for repairs outside of regular maintenance during that time.

I will never, EVER, buy/lease/own a Chevy again. Never.

c[_]

05-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
bad cosmetic appearance? its a norm... dodgy painting, for 1300Euro i could buy new one, but i couldn't justifie really narrow aplication of this lens - according to reviews this lens has very unequal behavior depending on distance.... till 4m everythings fine, above is prone to ff or bf (i don't remember) hope sigma will be a little more modern in this regards...
I've never experienced ff or bf focusing issues at any distance with mine. Unlike others I've find it to be good with near or far subjects.
05-28-2010, 08:38 AM   #55
Pentaxian

i hope the quality control is better than the 50mm f1.4!
05-28-2010, 09:00 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Well im sure we are all aware of that lens, but considering Pentax's COMPLETE lack of an AF 85mm other than the FA*, and the fact that lens does not fit into this category
Yes, but my other side of the question was: is AF worth a $650 premium? Because the Rokinon is a pretty decent lens from all samples I've seen and it's now my reference for the price of an 85mm lens.

AF would have to be very precise to get you focus at 1.4 - the DOF is very thin on an 85mm. And if you'll mostly use the lens at 2.8 and higher, then maybe the money is better spent on a 50-135/2.8.
05-28-2010, 09:41 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
I've never experienced ff or bf focusing issues at any distance with mine. Unlike others I've find it to be good with near or far subjects.
Just received mine (the FA* I mean) and I seem to have no problems at all, near or far. It focuses just perfect at infinity! And I just made this nice portrait wide open with it, just to know what it can do in harsh conditions. I must admit that it's a bit sharper/more contrasty at f/2, but I hope the Sigma will be at least as good:

(Direct link to the larger picture: http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo293/spotmatic/fa8514-portrait.jpg

05-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
I don't fear buying Sigma lenses. The two I have are both stellar and I would buy them again.

I also have owned 3 VW's (and currently own one now) and all 3 have been the best cars I've ever driven. None of the three (and one was a cheap Fox) have required anything beyond basic maintenance.

On the other hand I've owned two Chevy's and they've both been absolute lemons. My last one was in the shop 26 times in my first year of ownership (a/c went, all 4 struts, battery, radio, dash lights, trunk release, car stays running when key removed, replacement of clutch, steering replacement). Luckily I only leased that car for 4 years and was able to give it back to them. I logged over 60 visits to the dealership for repairs outside of regular maintenance during that time.

I will never, EVER, buy/lease/own a Chevy again. Never.

c[_]
thanks for the heads up. I'll buy a Jeep instead.
05-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Just received mine (the FA* I mean) and I seem to have no problems at all, near or far. It focuses just perfect at infinity! And I just made this nice portrait wide open with it, just to know what it can do in harsh conditions. I must admit that it's a bit sharper/more contrasty at f/2, but I hope the Sigma will be at least as good:

(Direct link to the larger picture: http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo293/spotmatic/fa8514-portrait.jpg

Beautiful! It's about time you got another 85!
05-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Yes, but my other side of the question was: is AF worth a $650 premium? Because the Rokinon is a pretty decent lens from all samples I've seen and it's now my reference for the price of an 85mm lens.

AF would have to be very precise to get you focus at 1.4 - the DOF is very thin on an 85mm. And if you'll mostly use the lens at 2.8 and higher, then maybe the money is better spent on a 50-135/2.8.
I had owned a Rokinon and I can't say anything bad about. it's really a pretty good lens, bright and awesome for portraits, due to it's very nice bokeh rendering. it does sets a bar for 85mm pricing. I don't exactly recall if I had mentioned that the Rokinon would make a great exclusive portrait lens. candid telephoto use though would post more of a challenge especially for an MF lens. this is where AF becomes handy.

if Rokinon only made an AF 85mm and priced it around $500 (which is possible), there would had been a lot of people who would had certainly owned one by now. AF is very important, even for an f1.4 lens. this is why people are looking for a cheaper AF 85.

anyway, with regards to price worth, if the Sigma performs in a way that it has been advertised, that better optical performance would be worth the extra money, not just because it has AF. you just don't pay less for something that is obviously better overall.

you might argue that the DA50-135/2.8 is a better investment, in fact it maybe for some whose purpose for such focal length is different. a fast prime 85 is a specialty lens. surely there are several reasons for such lens acquisition. the difference between f1.4 and f2.8 is undeniable. thin DOF is also what some people are after, not a basis for complaint but rather need. and the difference and comparison in IQ at 85mm between the two lenses can come into play. there are 4 words that people are after, a FAST, AUTOFOCUS, PRIME, 85. 2 of those, the DA50-135 doesn't have.