Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-27-2010, 12:41 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Considering we were all bracing for retail of $1300, $900 isn't actually that bad. I expect the street price for this lens to be equivalent with the 77LTDs by Christmas. By the time discounts/coupons Bing Cashback or whatever kicks in after Black Friday, I think this lens will be fairly attainable.

I also think you guys are underestimating the value of HSM AF 85mm 1.4. Only time will tell after some of the reviews. Rokinon/Samyang had kind of set a new bar for what we'd expect out of an 85mm f/1.4, but even us cheapskates would probably not hesitate to pay an extra $250-$350 for an autofocus version of it. We're talking Sigma here, they *do* make some respectable glass, after all.

I think the sad matter of fact is, Pentax users are so starved for a fast, in-production AutoFocus 85mm, that we'd be willing to put up with some quirks just to get it in our bag.

I'll tell you this though, I'm going to hold the line: if the Sigma IQ is not head and shoulders above a Rokinon, I'm not interested, even at $675. (Hint to Sigma to sell me one for $674 so I can review it

05-27-2010, 01:18 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote

To be fair: I bought it on eBay UK where I found a BIN one for... EUR 850, roughly US$1000. It's this one:

I think the price is fair for what I'll get. And I know one that was on sale a few weeks ago in The Netherlands, that went for EUR 850 too. That was the first one I saw for sale for a few years. But I meant to say that on the worldwide market, there are always a few available. Not necessarily cheap, though.
this is probably one of the things I envy about you guys in the EU. you got more access to some rare lenses which are harder for us to find (some for a cheap price). although you have to pay double for the new lenses that we enjoy here of paying less.

QuoteQuote:
I don't think for a moment that the price of the FA* will come down because of the Sigma. Or would you think that the FA* 600/4 is getting cheaper because you can buy a new Sigma 500/4.5? No, it will retain a collector value...
Yes, being a collectors' item could retain or blow up it's value, but until when? it can really be tricky as well. the C/FD 85/1.2 for example was only selling for a short change a few years back and could get one easily for a bargain ($50-$200). this was because the FD mounts were deemed unusable for the modern dslrs a few years back. now they are starting to jack up again starting from $500 to as much as over a $1,000. this maybe have to do more on usability on the new systems due to adapter use rather than collector's value or both.

QuoteQuote:
Agreed on the price and availability, but not on the optical design. There haven't been huge leaps in optical design; many lenses still rely on design principles which are older than most of the forum members. What I still don't understand is why nobody makes APO versions of a 50/1.4 or 85/1.4 so that these show absolutely no CA. I think this is due to the fact that supercorrected lenses are sharp and free of PF/CA, but have a not so desirable bokeh. This is especially important in f/1.4 lenses.

I'm waiting for samples of the Sigma, but I think I will have a hard time justifying a purchase

APO version for such lenses could be tricky especially on the IQ compromises you've mentioned, aside from the cost which would make a Sigma 50/1.4 sell for around $1,000 due to APO production costs (rough estimate). making the image totally free of CA/PF could really impact bokeh rendering, especially at such wide aperture opening (f1.4).

as far as CA/PF is concerned, some optical design on some lenses have pretty impressive control over CA/PF. one particular lens that I'm impressed with is the Sigma 70/2.8, which also have a pretty good bokeh. so Sigma might had used the CA/PF control concept on this lens and could had improved CA/PF control further on the 85mm without sacrificing bokeh.

let's hope that the added SLD glass, mold glass elements and rear focusing system that supposedly would combat CA/PF perform as it is advertised.

I think it would be a hard time for you to consider a purchase, especially if you already have an FA*85. I would be in the same dilemma as well if i were in the same position.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 05-27-2010 at 01:51 AM.
05-27-2010, 01:26 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by writeb Quote
Considering we were all bracing for retail of $1300, $900 isn't actually that bad. I expect the street price for this lens to be equivalent with the 77LTDs by Christmas. By the time discounts/coupons Bing Cashback or whatever kicks in after Black Friday, I think this lens will be fairly attainable.

I also think you guys are underestimating the value of HSM AF 85mm 1.4. Only time will tell after some of the reviews. Rokinon/Samyang had kind of set a new bar for what we'd expect out of an 85mm f/1.4, but even us cheapskates would probably not hesitate to pay an extra $250-$350 for an autofocus version of it. We're talking Sigma here, they *do* make some respectable glass, after all.

I think the sad matter of fact is, Pentax users are so starved for a fast, in-production AutoFocus 85mm, that we'd be willing to put up with some quirks just to get it in our bag.

I'll tell you this though, I'm going to hold the line: if the Sigma IQ is not head and shoulders above a Rokinon, I'm not interested, even at $675. (Hint to Sigma to sell me one for $674 so I can review it
$674? in your dreams. you should wait til Santa brings you some coupons which is still 6 months away. enough time to save money for another lens or camera body.

I had already sold my Rokinon, which is a great manual focus lens, in it's own right, in favor of the Sigma AF. I would had kept it if I didn't have the J-9 and Bokina.
05-27-2010, 01:51 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
$674? in your dreams. you should wait til Santa brings you some coupons which is still 6 months away. enough time to save money for another lens or camera body.

I had already sold my Rokinon, which is a great manual focus lens, in it's own right, in favor of the Sigma AF. I would had kept it if I didn't have the J-9 and Bokina.
LOL, well you missed/ignored my conditional of if it isn't completely superior to the Rokinon. Of which in all honesty, I'm not that interested. I do hope it is better though.

05-27-2010, 05:44 AM   #35
Veteran Member

i was hunting FA* till sigma showed up on horison, hopefully it wont have any problems with long distance AF as FA* had, 127mm its almost long tele lens though, so on apsc its more like fast tele than close up portrait lens...
05-27-2010, 05:59 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
i was hunting FA* till sigma showed up on horison, hopefully it wont have any problems with long distance AF as FA* had, 127mm its almost long tele lens though, so on apsc its more like fast tele than close up portrait lens...
To me, the AF of the FA* is not that interesting. I'm good in MF anyway

Also, remember that the FA* 85 has internal focusing (IF). This means that the lens has a focal distance of 85mm at the infinity setting only. At the closest focusing position this probably is more like 80mm. The Sigma will probably behave the same.
05-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #37

I've seen quite some FA*85 going around in yahoo auctions here in japan. O_o They are priced just below the $1000 line. But this one in particular has a really bad cosmetic appearance.
???????????FA?85mm F1.4 - Yahoo!??????

05-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #38
Veteran Member

bad cosmetic appearance? its a norm... dodgy painting, for 1300Euro i could buy new one, but i couldn't justifie really narrow aplication of this lens - according to reviews this lens has very unequal behavior depending on distance.... till 4m everythings fine, above is prone to ff or bf (i don't remember) hope sigma will be a little more modern in this regards...
05-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
$900 for a Sigma? I don't think so. Sigma is capable of designing good optics, but their build quality just lacks in the long run.
05-27-2010, 05:14 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
$900 for a Sigma? I don't think so.
why not? if its going to be as good as 50mm (propably the best af 50 around)...
05-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Considering the Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 ZK Planar T* goes for $1200 or so, $900 doesn't seem that outrageous for a Sigma AF lens, especially if the optics are good.
05-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
Considering the Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 ZK Planar T* goes for $1200 or so, $900 doesn't seem that outrageous for a Sigma AF lens, especially if the optics are good.
Notwithstanding improvements to the Sigma line, I'm pretty sure that there was no period in Zeiss's history when their lenses were commonly referred to by phonetically similar body secretions, even by their owners (or is that especially by their owners?)
05-27-2010, 08:19 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kxr4trids Quote
Notwithstanding improvements to the Sigma line, I'm pretty sure that there was no period in Zeiss's history when their lenses were commonly referred to by phonetically similar body secretions, even by their owners (or is that especially by their owners?)
Are you sure that's not because of their name? After all, what bodily secretion sounds phonetically similar to 'zeiss'?
05-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
$900 for a Sigma? I don't think so. Sigma is capable of designing good optics, but their build quality just lacks in the long run.
I'm not sure what you meant by their build quality lacks in the long run. are you saying that the build is not good enough to last?
05-27-2010, 08:40 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I'm not sure what you meant by their build quality lacks in the long run. are you saying that the build is not good enough to last?
Exactly.