Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It was a long shot but.... K 50mm F/1.2 :D

Pentax ME Super MF Black SLR w Pentax 50mm f1.2 Lens - eBay (item 110535374108 end time May-26-10 18:00:04 PDT)

I have been watching this for a couple days and in the last seconds I decided to go for it and I won it for $222

Its got a superficial dent in the filter ring but other than that its apparently in great condition. How did I do? (haven't seen the lens for sale in a while).

05-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Looks good to me - I hope it asrrives and works as described!
05-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You done good. Congrats!
05-26-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. Im on an ebay high right now

05-26-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You've been taking some great shots with your 85....looking forward to seeing a few from the 50....
05-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
You've been taking some great shots with your 85....looking forward to seeing a few from the 50....
Thanks, means a lot coming from you SMC. I can't wait, as I've never owned a lens faster than F/1.7
05-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Thanks, means a lot coming from you SMC. I can't wait, as I've never owned a lens faster than F/1.7
Be patient it getting used to use it and it will open up a whole new world for you, especially in twighlight (early morning/evening) shots. I can to a fair amount of hand holding with my A version. It works really great with a monopod and doesn't limit the portability like a tripod does.

I bet the FleaBay sharks missed it because of it being on that ME Super and assumed it was a f2.

There are certain ways to straighten out those filter threads. I'll try to post some links later.
05-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Be patient it getting used to use it and it will open up a whole new world for you, especially in twighlight (early morning/evening) shots. I can to a fair amount of hand holding with my A version. It works really great with a monopod and doesn't limit the portability like a tripod does.

I bet the FleaBay sharks missed it because of it being on that ME Super and assumed it was a f2.

There are certain ways to straighten out those filter threads. I'll try to post some links later.
I plan on using it with my K200d almost exclusively because it has the addition of a split prism focusing screen... unless I can use liveview on the K-7 (drains powers so much though). I can't wait to practice my MF skills with the lens

I almost missed it for the same reason!

Do post some if you have them. My sigma looks very similar after a cheap tripod dropped it and the K-7 on concrete

05-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

filter ring dents

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
There are certain ways to straighten out those filter threads.
For metal lenses, I wrap the filter ring with electricians tape to prevent scarring and then snug a threaded hose clamp around the outside of the ring for support. Or saw out/carve a wooden cradle. Then one of two methods usually works.

With needle nosed pliers or vise grips buffered with tape or leather you may be able to gently but firmly squeeze the dent out sufficiently for your purposes. Or try a quarter inch hardwood or plastic dowel and light taps with a hammer.

In two really bad cases with plastic lenses, I simply cut and filed the damaged area out leaving a "gapped tooth" look but a lens that was fully functional with filters. An old filter with the glass removed then become a more or less permanent filter ring protector and mini-hood.

If you want to go to the trouble of a cosmetic repair for the plastic lenses, screw a filter in to establish the thread pattern, then fill the cavity with epoxy. Wax the filter threads well so you can unscrew it after the epoxy sets up. Finish as required. Use a rubber band grommet to prevent epoxy from migrating back into the lens sleeve. Works with the plastic lenses but takes a lot of time to make it right.

H2
05-26-2010, 09:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Pentax ME Super MF Black SLR w Pentax 50mm f1.2 Lens - eBay (item 110535374108 end time May-26-10 18:00:04 PDT)

I have been watching this for a couple days and in the last seconds I decided to go for it and I won it for $222

Its got a superficial dent in the filter ring but other than that its apparently in great condition. How did I do? (haven't seen the lens for sale in a while).
Looks like a really good score, I'm jealous!
That ME Super looks nice too. If you haven't already, I'd suggest having a play with film for some fun (and post in the film slr forum here)...
05-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Looks like a really good score, I'm jealous!
That ME Super looks nice too. If you haven't already, I'd suggest having a play with film for some fun (and post in the film slr forum here)...
Oh I would love to shoot film, but I have no way of getting it developed legitimately :ugh:

Thanks btw
05-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

What do you mean by "legitimately"? If you shoot colour process stuff it should be easy to find somewhere for development? Send me a PM if you like, if I have missed the point...

Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with this lens. Hope the transaction completes OK etc.

cheers
05-26-2010, 10:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Basically I have no place close to get it developed
05-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you guys for the encouragement by the way.... I hope I wont disappoint
05-27-2010, 12:46 AM   #15

Wow, congrats!

That's one helluva ding on the filter mount, but it's an awesome find. Admit to missing this approach, I get too lazy and filter for lenses only. Duly noted. Well played sir. Well played.