Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2010, 04:40 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tammy 28-70/2.8 - close focus I.Q.

I have this lens and I can say it's a spectacular lens in itself. Sadly, it's too heavy for me so it sees less action than my other lenses. Even with it's weight, the tammy has a beautiful creamy bokeh that is IMHO only rival to primes (at the same aperture of course).
The only problem I've found with it is that if I want to do real close-ups, the minimal focus distance greatly reduces IQ but only at the minimal, if you focus a little farther away the IQ becomes spectacular again. I don't have the images right now, but I'll search for them later.

In the purpose of avoiding "bad copy syndrome", can anyone try to reproduce this?

The shooting conditions were f/4, 75mm @min focus and 45cm. 55mm @min focus and 45cm. speeds greater than 1/125 and ISO at or below 400 with a K-m.

05-27-2010, 04:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by summonbaka Quote
I have this lens and I can say it's a spectacular lens in itself. Sadly, it's too heavy for me so it sees less action than my other lenses. Even with it's weight, the tammy has a beautiful creamy bokeh that is IMHO only rival to primes (at the same aperture of course).
The only problem I've found with it is that if I want to do real close-ups, the minimal focus distance greatly reduces IQ but only at the minimal, if you focus a little farther away the IQ becomes spectacular again. I don't have the images right now, but I'll search for them later.

In the purpose of avoiding "bad copy syndrome", can anyone try to reproduce this?

The shooting conditions were f/4, 75mm @min focus and 45cm. 55mm @min focus and 45cm. speeds greater than 1/125 and ISO at or below 400 with a K-m.
I can do it over the wknd. with a K-7 if no one has gotten to it by then.

It's funny what you say about the weight though, as it is feather weight compared to my FA*.
05-27-2010, 05:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did you post a photo? I have no close focus complaints with this lens, though for macro, my Tamron 90mm/2.8 is understandable sharper. At any rate, this photo nearly matched your specs...but on a K10D.

55mm 1/125th f4 ISO 200

Some others that have probably been in that realm...

Cheers,

Adam
05-27-2010, 05:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Adam,

Those are some superb shots, WOW!...it really is an awesome lens.

05-27-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Adam,

Those are some superb shots, WOW!...it really is an awesome lens.
Thanks. I had a nice stroll down Flickr lane this morning.