Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2010, 06:21 AM   #1
Inactive Account

possible lense problem or me?

I got my 50mm 1.4 about a month ago. I noticed when i use it sometimes I get a purple rim around the subject. I am not sure if it is sometype of distortion or what. Has anyone had this happen?

05-27-2010, 06:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
please post photos and tell what model lens, (i.e. tak, super tak, smc tak, K, M A, F, FA etc.)
05-27-2010, 06:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by krystalgem85 Quote
I got my 50mm 1.4 about a month ago. I noticed when i use it sometimes I get a purple rim around the subject. I am not sure if it is sometype of distortion or what. Has anyone had this happen?
You mean Purple Fringing (PF). That's pretty much a given for many fast lenses unless these use apochromatic glass or are otherwise well corrected. So, it's perfectly normal for the 50/1.4.

An pretty bad example (not with the same lens):

05-27-2010, 06:36 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ok thanks is there a way to avoid it?

05-27-2010, 06:47 AM   #5

PF can be corrected a little (or fully if you're lucky) in post-processing (I don't know how, never looked for it) but if you want to avoid it, try to avoid really high contrast areas. For example, a backlit subject with wide apertures (wider than f/4).
05-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by summonbaka Quote
PF can be corrected a little (or fully if you're lucky) in post-processing (I don't know how, never looked for it) but if you want to avoid it, try to avoid really high contrast areas. For example, a backlit subject with wide apertures (wider than f/4).
corel's psp X3 (or X through X2 if you have not upgraded yet) can remove CA very well

forget the PF removal tool, it is a waste of time, but the CA tool is great
05-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Also if you are going to shoot in high contrast areas try to shoot in RAW. That will give you more flexability to post-process. I use Photoshop CS4 (CS5 really soon) and you can alter just about anything you want in a RAW file. I've removed some extremely bad CA from a RAW file using photoshop.
05-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Also if you are going to shoot in high contrast areas try to shoot in RAW. That will give you more flexability to post-process. I use Photoshop CS4 (CS5 really soon) and you can alter just about anything you want in a RAW file. I've removed some extremely bad CA from a RAW file using photoshop.
I have CS3 now I need to get in the habit of shooting all the time in RAW too. I want to get CS5 have seen it and it's amazing

05-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krystalgem85 Quote
I have CS3 now I need to get in the habit of shooting all the time in RAW too. I want to get CS5 have seen it and it's amazing
If you can upgrade from CS3 I would suggest it very strongly. I have not used CS3 in a while, so correct me if I am wrong, but I believe there is one control tab (there are more but this one sticks out) that CS3 does not have and it is the "clarity" tab. This tab is almost better at removing CA than the actualy CA adjustment tabs and, like the name states it makes the overall picture much clearer.
05-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
If you can upgrade from CS3 I would suggest it very strongly. I have not used CS3 in a while, so correct me if I am wrong, but I believe there is one control tab (there are more but this one sticks out) that CS3 does not have and it is the "clarity" tab. This tab is almost better at removing CA than the actualy CA adjustment tabs and, like the name states it makes the overall picture much clearer.
Yes you are correct I have never seen that tab on there