Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2010, 06:21 AM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 21
possible lense problem or me?

I got my 50mm 1.4 about a month ago. I noticed when i use it sometimes I get a purple rim around the subject. I am not sure if it is sometype of distortion or what. Has anyone had this happen?

05-27-2010, 06:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,314
please post photos and tell what model lens, (i.e. tak, super tak, smc tak, K, M A, F, FA etc.)
05-27-2010, 06:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Asahiflex's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,753
QuoteOriginally posted by krystalgem85 Quote
I got my 50mm 1.4 about a month ago. I noticed when i use it sometimes I get a purple rim around the subject. I am not sure if it is sometype of distortion or what. Has anyone had this happen?
You mean Purple Fringing (PF). That's pretty much a given for many fast lenses unless these use apochromatic glass or are otherwise well corrected. So, it's perfectly normal for the 50/1.4.

An pretty bad example (not with the same lens):

05-27-2010, 06:36 AM   #4
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 21
Original Poster
ok thanks is there a way to avoid it?

05-27-2010, 06:47 AM   #5
Senior Member
summonbaka's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kagoshima, Japan
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 237
PF can be corrected a little (or fully if you're lucky) in post-processing (I don't know how, never looked for it) but if you want to avoid it, try to avoid really high contrast areas. For example, a backlit subject with wide apertures (wider than f/4).
05-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,314
QuoteOriginally posted by summonbaka Quote
PF can be corrected a little (or fully if you're lucky) in post-processing (I don't know how, never looked for it) but if you want to avoid it, try to avoid really high contrast areas. For example, a backlit subject with wide apertures (wider than f/4).
corel's psp X3 (or X through X2 if you have not upgraded yet) can remove CA very well

forget the PF removal tool, it is a waste of time, but the CA tool is great
05-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member
KxBlaze's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,594
Also if you are going to shoot in high contrast areas try to shoot in RAW. That will give you more flexability to post-process. I use Photoshop CS4 (CS5 really soon) and you can alter just about anything you want in a RAW file. I've removed some extremely bad CA from a RAW file using photoshop.
05-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 21
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Also if you are going to shoot in high contrast areas try to shoot in RAW. That will give you more flexability to post-process. I use Photoshop CS4 (CS5 really soon) and you can alter just about anything you want in a RAW file. I've removed some extremely bad CA from a RAW file using photoshop.
I have CS3 now I need to get in the habit of shooting all the time in RAW too. I want to get CS5 have seen it and it's amazing

05-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member
KxBlaze's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,594
QuoteOriginally posted by krystalgem85 Quote
I have CS3 now I need to get in the habit of shooting all the time in RAW too. I want to get CS5 have seen it and it's amazing
If you can upgrade from CS3 I would suggest it very strongly. I have not used CS3 in a while, so correct me if I am wrong, but I believe there is one control tab (there are more but this one sticks out) that CS3 does not have and it is the "clarity" tab. This tab is almost better at removing CA than the actualy CA adjustment tabs and, like the name states it makes the overall picture much clearer.
05-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 21
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
If you can upgrade from CS3 I would suggest it very strongly. I have not used CS3 in a while, so correct me if I am wrong, but I believe there is one control tab (there are more but this one sticks out) that CS3 does not have and it is the "clarity" tab. This tab is almost better at removing CA than the actualy CA adjustment tabs and, like the name states it makes the overall picture much clearer.
Yes you are correct I have never seen that tab on there
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Noob Question Difference Between a Lense That Does Macro & A True Macro Lense Christopher M.W.T Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 16 07-19-2009 12:20 AM
Lense help.. I don't know what these are.. Orli Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 18 04-09-2009 08:01 PM
Help! Lense communication problem "f--" message jentheyo Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 10 04-02-2009 07:38 PM
Card read problem K20d. Have you had this problem? rsi1986 Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 12-27-2008 05:25 AM
what lense is better CarlCanary Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 10-23-2007 10:43 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:48 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top