Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2006, 12:31 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Tamron macro zoom

Hi!
This is my first post here. I am considering K100D (actually I already made up my mind) and am intertested in macro photography. I came across
Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR LD Aspherical Macro Ultra Zoom Lens

Anyone knows anything about it?

There is also
Tamron Autofocus 28-200mm f/3.8-5.6 XR Aspherical (IF) Lens

All are pretty cheap (on Amazon), so it raises a question about their quality.

Thanx,
Branimir

11-28-2006, 12:41 PM   #2
Inactive Account

It looks like you may want to look at a dedicated macro lens. The Tamrom you are looking at only has a magnification of 1:2.9 so it really isn't all that much of a macro lens. A true macro lens will get you down to 1:1, so the object you are taking a shot of will look life size. I know Pentax makes a 50mm and 100mm macro lens that you can get. If you want to go third party just make sure the magnification is 1:1. I hope this helps, when you do get your camera gear be sure to post some photos.
11-28-2006, 01:48 PM   #3

The 28-300 lens you mention is good if you are on a budget and want a versatile lens for lots of uses. But, it is not a macro lens in the true sense of the word.
11-28-2006, 02:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Branimir Quote
Hi!
This is my first post here. I am considering K100D (actually I already made up my mind) and am intertested in macro photography. I came across
Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR LD Aspherical Macro Ultra Zoom Lens

Anyone knows anything about it?

There is also
Tamron Autofocus 28-200mm f/3.8-5.6 XR Aspherical (IF) Lens

All are pretty cheap (on Amazon), so it raises a question about their quality.

Thanx,
Branimir
If you can afford it, the sigma 70mm macro and the tamron 90mm macro are supposed to be outstanding lenses.
the 70mm is hard to find around here

good luck

11-28-2006, 02:52 PM   #5

you might also like to take a look at the tamron 70-300 (which i have ordered , still waiting!), as that one has a reproduction ration of 1:2

another budget choice which i am keenly interested in is the Phoenix 100mm f3.5 macro. that one has a repro ratio of 1:2 with an adapter allowing up to 1:1. last time i checked its about $130usd and has some good reviews as in "bang for your buck" wise:
Phoenix AF 100mm f/3.4 Macro Lens - A Nikonians Product Review

or just get a 50mm prime and some tubes, diopters, reverse it with a ring etc. i've had some good results with these methods but they are generally only suitable for still life type shots (long shutter required + very close focus = no insect shots)
11-28-2006, 07:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Another inexpensive solution is a close up lens like the Canon 250D. But there are other manufactures that produce good close up lenses as well.

Some Pentax lenses work well with them, it is by no means a replacement for a good macro lens but works well until you can get one.

If you like have a look at my gallery, there are a few samples taken with the above.

Take care, Heinrich
11-29-2006, 03:12 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanx for all the answers.
Branimir
11-29-2006, 07:22 PM   #8

I have a Tamron 28-300 XR LD model, and I've had it for almost a year as my primary lens. That being said, I am planning on getting rid of it and breaking it up into getting seperate wide and telephoto lenses that are faster.
The autofocus is quite slow on it compared to some of the pentax lenses, the focus ring having to compensate for 0.6ft to 100ft in the distance of maybe an inch and a half of turning.

On a budget and for learning I would actually recommend the Tamron 18-200mm model for that extra wideness, or waiting for the Tamron 18-250mm that should be out soon.