Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2010, 04:10 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I was near to posting a thread about telling the 135/1.8 to kiss my a** after seeing them on ebay for much more than 2gs from questionable sources. I like many of you watched the one that had been hacked up for another mount, and only partially reassembled, go for 1000.

This one just hit at the right time, although unless something spectacular comes up, I won't be buying any mor gear for a long time. I'll have to feed my lba in some other way.

Unless of course I hate one of the most famous Pentax lenses ever, in which case I'm sure someone on the forums will be anxious to snatch it up.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I just did the math, and $1725 equals 95 Brazilian hookers in Rio, all under 30.

Well, I guess we each have our own priorities. But seriously:

Thank you for bringing LBA to a new level, and for making me feel better about my own acquisitions.

And those to come!

05-27-2010, 04:12 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Who are you calling you people? You're on this forum too.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
you people are insane
05-27-2010, 04:13 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I'm just waiting for Pentax to come out with the AF WR version. That will be a stellar lens indeed.
I was just thinking about a DA* version. That would make up for dropping the FA 135mm.
05-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #19
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Actually, this may be the best lens Pentax ever produced.
How dare you:

The 85 1.9 Super-Tak I recently bought is the best Pentax lens ever made, according to the 92-year-old widow who sold it to me on eBay just 5 days after her husband passed away.

05-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #20
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cgoudie Quote
Who are you calling you people? You're on this forum too.
I hope you understand that you're my hero, and I was just making jokes.
05-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #21

Pentax SMC A* star 135mm f 1.8 - eBay (item 320539126522 end time May-27-10 07:04:28 PDT)

Purchased. LBA sated.

All I can say is this lens better live up to the hype.
Wow! Congratulations, and welcome to the club! Post some pics once you get it.

I should also mention that in slim chance that you end up regretting your purchase, you should be able to easily sell it and recover your costs.

Last edited by photogerald; 05-27-2010 at 07:08 PM.
05-27-2010, 09:25 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Thank you for bringing LBA to a new level, and for making me feel better about my own acquisitions.

And those to come!
Thinking of more Tak glass eh?
05-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was just thinking about a DA* version. That would make up for dropping the FA 135mm.
Except based on previous examples, the DA Limited version will be not WR, and 2.4, not 1.8, and it will vignette with the one day FF.

05-27-2010, 09:40 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Two dream lenses to go, neither of which I can find or afford if I could find them. :P
05-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Except based on previous examples, the DA Limited version will be not WR, and 2.4, not 1.8, and it will vignette with the one day FF.
I said DA*, not ltd . . . on the other hand, an FA ltd wouldn't be a completely bad idea either.
05-28-2010, 03:10 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I said DA*, not ltd . . . on the other hand, an FA ltd wouldn't be a completely bad idea either.
I know, but I'd expect this to show up in the limiteds category if ever.
05-28-2010, 07:17 AM   #27
Site Supporter

I know, but I'd expect this to show up in the limiteds category if ever.
I think a limited would be more likely based on the FA 135mm due to size and a DA* based on your lens. Could you imagine what it would do people here if they were to release both at the same time?
05-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by cezarL Quote
Sorry, but that's just nuts. For that money, you could have bought a new Carl Zeiss 135/1.8 (which is probably sharper and it also has autofocus) and an a-mount camera to use it on.

Amazing what rarity can do to lens prices!

ps-this is coming from someone who paid three time the averange price (when available) of a rare Minolta 100/2
Hi, sorry for that zeiss speak? '
Can you give me a link, perhaps a test, on street?
Thank you
05-28-2010, 02:46 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bollicina31 Quote
Hi, sorry for that zeiss speak? '
Can you give me a link, perhaps a test, on street?
Thank you
He is talking about the Zeiss 85mm f1.4 for the Sony alpha/Minolta af system. It is only available in manual focus in other mounts. Buying a Zeiss and converting it makes no sense when it can be had in mf anyway unless it is a vintage glass.
05-28-2010, 03:39 PM   #30
Forum Member

Actually, I meant the CZ 135/1.8. Photozone.de has reviews for both APS-C and FF, have a look... both of them end with the same phrase: 'The entry hurdle for the Zeiss ZA T* 135mm f/1.8 is quite high at around 1300EUR/US$ but if you want the very best this is the one. Highly recommended! '
Personally, I would go for the 135STF (a unique lens, across all makers) over the CZ, but I doubt you will find a better autofocus lens (135mm prime, that is) than the CZ.

There is also a CZ85/1.4 with AF available in A-mount indeed (but bear in mind that it's a whole different design from the manual-focus Planar T), some prefer it for its sharpness and microcontrast, I would choose the Minolta version because it has slightly better bokeh, and an overall different (more pleasing, to me) rendition. I had the 85G actually, before moving to Pentax. Now I'm glad to report that the FA77 does very well in keeping up with that lens (while not quite matching it, I'm afraid), at a fraction of its weight and size

As for converting one of the a-mount Zeiss lenses, Blue is (partially) right, there is no point in doing that, as you would lose the advantage they have over any other CZ lenses: autofocus.
The STF... now that's another story, because it's a manual focus lens anyway. If only I could find someone able to convert it to K-mount

EDIT - I just checked the CZ website, unless they once had a discontinued model (not listed there anymore), it seems that they don't even make a 135/1.8 for any other mounts except Sony/Minolta
AND A LATER EDIT for those that will bother to read the reviews of ZA lenses - Photozone will mention a little play in the focusing ring as a 'nitpick' - it's not a QC issue, that's a design aspect, all ZA lenses have it (don't ask me why, though)

Last edited by cezarL; 05-28-2010 at 03:54 PM.