Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #16
Veteran Member
yeatzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,675
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I'm pretty sure your position on this is very clear
If I had the cash I wouldn't sell the K50 nor M85...
but as it is I don't think selling K55 will let me purchase DA*55
Thats a tough dilemma your in my friend

Good luck! Can't wait to see your shots with the DA* 55mm if you do get it

05-27-2010, 11:38 AM   #17
axl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
Original Poster
I was originally thinking along those lines farfisa.
To keep 31 + 43 +K55 and get 77ltd. But I prefer 50/1.2 to K55.... if only it wouldn't be so damn close to 43
Anyway, I'm bit short of cash right now, so I think I'll just keep what I have for a while or just sell one lens so fund something

thanks all...
05-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #18
axl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Thats a tough dilemma your in my friend

Good luck! Can't wait to see your shots with the DA* 55mm if you do get it
I'm afraid you will have to wait for a while... I won't be getting it anytime soon
you know, UK is still in recession
so for now it's my K50/1.2 & M85/2 vs yours
05-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #19
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
Remember the DA* 55mm is only AF with SDM bodies. I scratched it off my list because of it being incompatible with my MZ-3 film body as an AF lens. Hence, I kept the FA 50mm for an af lens. I have been tempted a few times to sell it and get a 43mm since I have the A f1.2. No way would I ever sell the A f1.2 to make way for the DA* 55. That's just my opinion. Considering you have the 43mm, I think you would regret selling your f1.2 to acquire the DA*.

05-27-2010, 02:16 PM   #20
axl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Remember the DA* 55mm is only AF with SDM bodies. I scratched it off my list because of it being incompatible with my MZ-3 film body as an AF lens. Hence, I kept the FA 50mm for an af lens. I have been tempted a few times to sell it and get a 43mm since I have the A f1.2. No way would I ever sell the A f1.2 to make way for the DA* 55. That's just my opinion. Considering you have the 43mm, I think you would regret selling your f1.2 to acquire the DA*.
that is very possible Blue, but the 50 is very close to 43 for comfort. For guy on the budget like me especially. Line up with 31-43-55 would make more sense than 31-43-50-whatever...
damn, why do we have so much choice....
05-27-2010, 02:26 PM   #21
Veteran Member
yeatzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,675
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I'm afraid you will have to wait for a while... I won't be getting it anytime soon
you know, UK is still in recession
so for now it's my K50/1.2 & M85/2 vs yours
Fair enough Let the games begin (well actually, in about a week when my K50 arrives)
05-27-2010, 02:39 PM   #22
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
that is very possible Blue, but the 50 is very close to 43 for comfort. For guy on the budget like me especially. Line up with 31-43-55 would make more sense than 31-43-50-whatever...
damn, why do we have so much choice....
Its a good thing that Nokton 58mm f1.4 is an mf lens, at least for me anyway.
05-27-2010, 10:55 PM   #23
axl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Its a good thing that Nokton 58mm f1.4 is an mf lens, at least for me anyway.
agreed

05-28-2010, 03:01 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Clinton's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,826
Well, I've got both, and I'd say it's more common for me to use the DA*55 than the A50. I love the A50, but if I'm planning bag space, I've got to have a specific intent for the A50 when I put it in, wheras I feel like the 55 is more versatile, especially after a couple of drinks when my MF skills may not quite be as on par.

The 50mm is usually more useful to me if I'm sitting at a table with people. The 55 seems a little close.

As for the half stop? well, it's useful. It'll save you from some high ISO noise in a dark environment.

As for DoF control? I've read elsewhere on this forum that you get less DoF from the 55 @ 1.4 than from the A50 @ 1.2.

In size, the A50 wins out. it's much smaller, if not lighter. I do like the hood on the 1.4 though.

Now for entirely subjective... I feel like the highlight bokeh of the A50 have unique character. I feel like the 1.4 creates pristine highlight bokeh, but the 1.2 creates somewhat oddly shaped highlight bokeh that can set a mood for a evening picture.

I really wish we would see a DA*50/1.2.
05-28-2010, 04:51 AM   #25
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,795
"I really wish we would see a DA*50/1.2"

ditto
05-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #26
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
I really wish we would have an FA LTD 50/1.2
05-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #27
axl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
Original Poster
thank you cgoudie,
for around the table situations I quite like FA43, my specific use for the DA*55 would be portraits and general use (so it would replace K55 in first role and K50/1.2 in the second). Would you be so kind to post some test shot with A50 and DA55 to compare DOF/OOF rendering?
Thanks

I'd say DFA 50/1.2 ltd WR
looking the same as the LX2000 A50/1.2... dream come true
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, iq, k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens, stop
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:17 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top