Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
On Lens Adapters...

Okay I'm on Amazon and Ebay looking at various kinds of lens adapters trying to get what I've got to work with the rest of what I've got. From what I can tell I can get adapters that will take my M42 Takumars over to the Canon AE-1 should I decide to keep it, and maybe over to an old Minolta that belongs to someone I know that I may be getting my hands on soon.

(I'm getting that Minolta for free, and apparently it also has two lenses and one is a 200MM which I don't have.)

I'm seeing adapters from M42 to just about everything Nikon, Canon, you name it, they've got that, but the couple of reverse adapters I've seen admittedly confuse the heck out of me. I don't know if any of what I am seeing is viable or even worth trying.

Ideally, since the Pentax is actually my favorite camera and I don't want to lug 3 cameras around I'd like to be able to use all the lenses I have M42, Canon FD, I think it was, and whatever the Minolta uses on the Spotmatic which takes the M42 lenses. I'd like to be able upon occasion use them interchangeably on the others as well but I'm thinking that likely may not be possible. If I could at least get all these lenses all on the Pentax I'd probably be very happy indeed. I guess the only other solution would be to get an old Nikon because it seems there are adapters than can take ANY lenses to Nikon practically.

I guess I'm trying to figure out what to buy. I'll put up a more through list of what I've got here in a minute or two. I have to go eat dinner soon, but when we're done I'll do that and let you see what I've got. Hopefully some of you can tell me what my options are because when it comes to lenses, different cameras, and adapters I'm just getting pretty lost looking at them all.

Thanks!

Update: Okay here's the total sum of my wealth in terms of my gear both film and digital. Don't laugh. I've worked my butt off to assemble what I have, so be NICE, laugh.

Cameras

Fuji S7000
Pentax SP1000
Canon AE-1
TLE Ricoh Singlex (DEAD, bad shutter.)
Minolta SG1 with AutoWinder

Filters

Vivitar VMC Skylight 1A 49MM
Canon Skylight 1A 42MM
Tiffen Red 1 52MM
Tiffen Polarizer 52MM

Lenses

Minolta MD Rokkor-X 45MM 1:2 (49MM)#2254591
OSAWA MC 1:45 80-205MM Macro #5241803 (Alas it's DEAD. Bad case of lens fungus, sigh, so strike this one...)
Auto-Rikenon 1:2:8 135MM #12069
Super Takumar 1.28/105 #2348354
Super Takumar T 1.14/50 #3291508
Canon Zoom FD 1.4 35-70 MM
2X Zoom for Fuji Digital
Wide Angle For Fuji Digital

Soligor Elitar Movie Lenses (2)-1.19/6.5MM # 197551 1.19/38MM #27702

Converters

Soligor Auto Tele Converter 2X SR
Vivitar Auto 3X tele-converter Model 3X-1-M42
Vivitar Auto 3X-8 tele-converter-M42

Flashes

Flash-Sunpak Auto 101
Flash-Rollei Beta 2
Vivitar 2000
JC Penny Auto Strobe

Tripods

Unknown Vintage Desk
Standard Floor Tripod

The Ricoh and the XG1 I haven't a clue if they work as yet. Probably not as they are in very bad condition. Lots of external dirt. Looks like not too much inside though so maybe they can be salvaged. I got some nice lenses with though.

Last edited by magkelly; 05-28-2010 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Add stuff....
05-27-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I guess I'm trying to figure out what to buy. I'll put up a more through list of what I've got here in a minute or two. I have to go eat dinner soon, but when we're done I'll do that and let you see what I've got. Hopefully some of you can tell me what my options are because when it comes to lenses, different cameras, and adapters I'm just getting pretty lost looking at them all.
What you need to know is that each and every SLR has its own register distance (i.e. the distance between the lens mount and the film plane. Take for example Canon FD mount lenses: you can only mount these on cameras with a Canon FD mount, or cameras with a register distance smaller than the Canon FD mount.

The M42 mount is one of the best mounts when it comes to adaptability. For instance the Current Canon EF accepts a flanged adapter, as the M42 mount has a larger register distance. So a M42 lens needs to sit a bit further from the sensor than EF lenses.

It's possible to mount on a camera lenses designed for shorter registration distances, but you will then only be able to use those lenses for close-up work.
05-27-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/96884-adapters-...addiction.html
05-27-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have optically corrected adaptors for Nikon AI and Canon FD lenses to PK.

They are set up to let the lens work in stop down mode (like M42) but the optical correction comes at a price.

there is seripus bleeding of the image at wide open (on canon and nikon 50mm F1,8 lenses) and the adaptors have inherent magnification as part of the optical correction for infinity focus.

the nikon is 1.25 x and the canon is 1.45x.

this makes them useless for wide angle but intersting for portrait and tele

05-28-2010, 03:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Um, thanks guys...

After reading all this I am thinking I'm better off just selling what I don't like and getting the M42 lenses I do want.

So far I have several lenses from basic to 135MM M42 mount that all fit the SP1. Plus I have a Canon AE-1 camera and lens in VGC that I am not crazy about using, and now a Minolta, which actually cleaned up nicely but which I only have the one regular lens to fit. I'd say so-so but usable on the Minolta.

The 200MM that came with it is definitely dead due to a bad fungus splotch, and while the basic lens and camera look okay, I'm not about to invest any money in a camera that's in so-so shape and that only has one lens to fit.

Still want an M42 200MM and a macro, maybe an updated SP2, but I don't think I am going to try to adapt the lenses I don't need to the M42 mount. Not much good from what you are telling me so....