Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax/Honeywell...Is there any difference?

Looking to buy a few lens' & have noticed the Honeywell name popping up.
Are Pentax & Honeywell the same product? Do they have Honeywell instruction manuals with them, or do they use the Pentax item.
If I'm going to buy a lens, I think I'd prefer a pentax domiciled one, but I suppose if the only difference is the lens cap, then I'm being a bit silly.
Cheers, Pickles.

05-27-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
Looking to buy a few lens' & have noticed the Honeywell name popping up.
Are Pentax & Honeywell the same product? Do they have Honeywell instruction manuals with them, or do they use the Pentax item.
If I'm going to buy a lens, I think I'd prefer a pentax domiciled one, but I suppose if the only difference is the lens cap, then I'm being a bit silly.
Cheers, Pickles.
Well, I guess you are talking about the M42 screwmount lenses. Indeed, the only difference is in the lens cap
05-28-2010, 02:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Honeywell was the name Pentax/ Asahi products were sold under in the US if that's any help to you.
05-28-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

My Super Takumar 85mm f/1.9 has a Honeywell Pentax lens cap on it ... but that's not reason not the choose it ... would have to be the best lens I have in my M42 kit.

05-28-2010, 09:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Honeywell was the official importer of Pentax camreas and lenses way back in the day so all of the official USA imports were labeled Honeywell Pentax. Lenses and cameras in the rest of the world were labeled Asahi Pentax. The products are identical.
05-28-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank You....So the value/collectability/prestige etc of some of the rarer/better etc Takumar SMC M42 would be exactly the same whether they be Honeywell or Pentax?
Cheers, Pickles.
05-28-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Honeywell was the official importer of Pentax camreas and lenses way back in the day so all of the official USA imports were labeled Honeywell Pentax. Lenses and cameras in the rest of the world were labeled Asahi Pentax. The products are identical.
Unless, of course, they are labeled Heiland (a Honeywell subsidiary). In addition to the Honeywell name, there are also some differences in model names for the various M42 film bodies. I don't believe that there were any lenses labeled as either Honeywell or Heiland.

It might also be useful to know that Honeywell sold many different photography products that had nothing to do with Pentax (e.g. Strobonar flashes and Nikor darkroom products).

Steve

05-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
Banned

Photos: Albums
Pentax was a brand in those days (as it is now, again). The company owning it was Asahi. Honeywell was a US distributor and they probably had some agreement with Asahi allowing them to associate their name with the Pentax brand. For lenses, the Honeywell/Heiland name should only show on the caps - the front of the lens should indicate Asahi Opt. Co.
05-29-2010, 09:12 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Pentax was a brand in those days (as it is now, again). The company owning it was Asahi. Honeywell was a US distributor and they probably had some agreement with Asahi allowing them to associate their name with the Pentax brand. For lenses, the Honeywell/Heiland name should only show on the caps - the front of the lens should indicate Asahi Opt. Co.

Ahhh, yes! I forgot about the caps. Cases too!

Steve