Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2010, 12:58 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This thread explains how to use a preset lens: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/55603-pentax-p...-question.html

Any idea who made the preset 105mm you're looking at? The only preset Pentax 105 that I'm aware of is f/2.8. I have a later Super Takumar 105 f/2.8 which is nice, but has a different optical formula.

05-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
This thread explains how to use a preset lens: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/55603-pentax-p...-question.html

Any idea who made the preset 105mm you're looking at? The only preset Pentax 105 that I'm aware of is f/2.8. I have a later Super Takumar 105 f/2.8 which is nice, but has a different optical formula.
Takumar (does not specify super). I don't have much more info than that. Do you think it gives you the colrs and rendition you like at the sharpness you desire?
05-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Toad in Pool on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Crop, with the levels adjusted and the blues increased a bit. I don't have anything else from the lens online at the moment.

That's with the 105mm Super Tak (5 element, 4 groups) at the close focus limit. I always use a hood as the coatings aren't as advanced as some of the later lenses. Probably worth something like $50 to 75 depending on condition, though I haven't looked around much. Mine was $40, optically pristine but cosmetically worn. I'm happy so far but have only been using the lens for about 2 weeks.

I believe Mike Cash has the later SMC version and he seems to like it.
05-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #19
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
Toad in Pool on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

That's with the 105mm Super Tak (5 element, 4 groups) at the close focus limit. I always use a hood as the coatings aren't as advanced as some of the later lenses. Probably worth something like $50 to 75 depending on condition, though I haven't looked around much. Mine was $40, optically pristine but cosmetically worn. I'm happy so far but have only been using the lens for about 2 weeks.

I believe Mike Cash has the later SMC version and he seems to like it.
I am really no fan of my Super 105 at all. It's in pristine condition, but I think it's a dog.

05-28-2010, 06:47 PM   #20

Original Poster
What do you mean by "dog"? I'm afraid I don't understand...

I am beginning my search for a 90/2.5 Tamron in a Pentax mount. Let's see where this goes. I think that would be the happiest focal length between 77 mm and 135 mm. The 85 and 100 may be lucky finds along the way.
05-28-2010, 06:52 PM   #21
Veteran Member

@Ira: What can I say, I would be willing to trade my 105mm for your 85mm if you want to try a different copy...

I needed to go out for a walk tonight anyways:

Super Tak 105mm, f/2.8, somewhere around 10 feet

A touch back from infinity, f/2.8

Same distance as above, f/5.6

No retouching, AV mode, differences in exposure due mainly to not quite compensating enough for the K10d's inconsistent metering at different apertures.

Edit (posted at the same time as subidoc): A "dog" is something that performs below expectations. I expect the term comes from the world of racing dogs for money.

The 90 f/2.5 has a good reputation, it is another lens that I was looking for when I found my 105.
05-29-2010, 09:50 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by subidoc Quote
But is there a difference in performance based on the families you have mentioned (M, A, F, FA, D-FA and D-FA WR)?
There is for the ones that use different optical designs. The dimitrov site I mentioned should help clarify that (see the column listing how many elements in how many groups, and the way the rows themselves are grouped together within that column). The M and A are identical to each other optically, although the A has a built in hood, which is a nice plus above and beyond the "A" feature. But much harder to find, and more expensive when you do. The macros are all very different designs from the non-macro versions. Looks like the F and FA share a design, but the A is different, and the D-FA different still. So yes, expect to see quite a differences in performance. But if price is your main concern, there's no point in worrying about any of that - the "M" is the *only* one in the price range you are looking for. It's one of my favorite lenses, but I can't compare it to the others as I've never used them.
05-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by subidoc Quote
That is a very useful site. Thank you! It helps for keeping my thoughts in order. Now I understand why the 135 (almost any) in the SMC group could perform better than the non-SMC Tak 135/2.5 I have. I will refer to this site before bidding from now on....

BTW, any one have any thoughts on the PERFORMANCE of the 105/2.5 Preset?
if you can get your hands on a 105 preset, do it! Preset are really nice lenses if a little quirky at first and the 105 if you find it cheap it's good. The presets as most takumar have really nice colors, contrast and sharpness. Also, the 105 is rather a rare lens. I'd recommend getting it if you can.

06-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #24

Original Poster
So I missed the deal on the 105 Preset. But I think it was for the best... I now have something else in the mail to me.... SMC Pentax-M 100mm F2.8!

Now I have to break it to the Mrs..... Any one have some suggestions? I promise to take more shots of her & the little one. This was taken about 2 years ago (when she was 4 months old) with my trusted 28-75/2.8 Tamron XR. I bought that back in 2004 with a serial no of less than 500. It was my first new lens purchase for a little under $400. The 100/2.8 did not cost me nearly that much, but I hope for some great color and contrast...

Cheers.
Attached Images