Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2010, 09:26 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks

Hey, Ive just realised/wondered - this lens does not have the 'A' setting right?
I think that means it wont work on my old MZ-30 film body?

I seem to remember that body refusing some older bits of glass i had in my collection and if i remember correctly it was because of lack of 'A' - i never really looked into if there was a way around it with that camera, having lost the instruction book (it was an urgent replacement to my Ricoh that got stolen while i was travelling through eastern europe)

Anyone know if above is correct or a way around it? Or should i just pick up *another* pentax film body somewhere? (I also have an old appeture priority only body somewhere)

06-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JayR Quote
Hey, Ive just realised/wondered - this lens does not have the 'A' setting right?
I think that means it wont work on my old MZ-30 film body?
Correct, this lens is a stop-down lens without any aperture automation at all. You set the aperture with the aperture ring, meter and set exposure time, open up with another ring, focus with the aperture fully open, turn the second aperture ring back again and shoot away. It takes some practice, but sounds more complicated than it is.
But it also means you can use the lens with the MZ-series of cameras, I believe. If not, another film body can be bought for next to nothing (Super A/Program Super is a wonderful manual focus analog camera) and can be seen as an accessory to the lens.

Kjell
06-02-2010, 10:42 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
But it also means you can use the lens with the MZ-series of cameras, I believe. If not, another film body can be bought for next to nothing (Super A/Program Super is a wonderful manual focus analog camera) and can be seen as an accessory to the lens.

Kjell
OK interesting

I checked the database for the MZ-30 and apparently it wont accept K or M lenses.

I remember finding it annoying that it wouldnt allow manual override on the more manual lenses i had that worked on my more simple, MF Ricoh KR10m! I wasn kind of hoping to keep the MZ-30 as a spare film body to chuck in my bag in case the unthinkable happened and the K7 died when on a studio shoot.

So maybe this is just not worth thinking about right now. Frankly, i shouldnt really be contemplating this latest LBA symptom, especially if it means i'd also need another film body, AND im yet to really see any photos posted by other users!

hmmmm
06-07-2010, 05:02 AM   #19

Original Poster
Damnit

my head says no, but i like the challenge of trying to master a shift lens.