Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2010, 12:19 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SMC 28mm SHIFT @ APS-C - pros vs cons? images??

Being an architect by trade, i like taking shots of architecture... I have various primes and a Sigma 10-20 for interior shots or where its hard to get far enough away outside, but of course in that case, the perspective can get a little out of control so have been wondering about the old pentax 28mm shift lens as a possibility.

Given the crop factor though, Im not sure if 28mm is remotely wide enough any more - does anyone have any thoughts or maybe even shots? Is there any 3rd party shift lens that go wider? Or what about just using the 'skew' type of function via photoshop or similar to correct it digitally? (I had thought doing it optically would probably be better, but have no experience with shift lenses to know anything about how they behave).

I should say that I do want to eventually get to a level of doing architectural photography at a professional (chargeable) level as a side to my work, so I need to work out what yields the highest quality results!

thanks in advance!

Last edited by JayR; 05-31-2010 at 07:46 AM.
05-29-2010, 12:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pro architectural photography? Sounds like you need something like 4x5 at least. I am not aware of any wider alternative for the k mount. Canon TS-E17/4L is probably the best alternative.
05-29-2010, 01:37 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Pro architectural photography? Sounds like you need something like 4x5 at least. I am not aware of any wider alternative for the k mount. Canon TS-E17/4L is probably the best alternative.
4x5? as in medium format?
Perhaps if i was going to charge those sorts of studio rates, but im aiming a little lower and as a bit on the side.

For now its strictly APS-C (K-7)
(and im assuming there is no Canon-Pentax adapter?)
05-29-2010, 02:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No adapter for EOS lenses, due to register distance and such. There isn't any wider than the K28 shift for Pentax, other options may include a medium format lens on a shift adapter, but you are limited to about 30mm in the commonly avalible lenses.

Your best bet is probably, as you mentioned, using the lens correction filter in e.g. Photoshop CS5. Download a trial and test it out, you could observe how much resolution you will lose, and if it is accetable.

05-29-2010, 06:10 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know about on a pro level, but someone I know does architectural presentations and uses Photoshop's skew tool all the time for them. I once brought up the idea of a shift lens to him, but he said why bother when you can use photoshop. It does take some practice, I tend to get a bit frustrated, trying to get the lines straight and still keep the vertical/horizontal ratio correct, because I don't do it much. He, on the other hand, gets great results in a second.
05-29-2010, 04:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have this lens, it's great fun and a very nice collectors item but honestly not wide enough on APC to be of real use. IQ is really good, but... It can be used for countryside churches and when there is a square in front of the building, but for indoors or across-the-street-shots it should rather have been 15mm or so. I guess mntngal is right about photoshopping being the viable alternative.

Kjell
05-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #7

Original Poster
still thinking about keeping an eye out for one, but perhaps not for exclusive architectural shots then.
im sure photoshop's skew isnt quite enough, so might need to school myself up on the more specific perspective controls through other progams. fun and games!

Just out of interest, anyone know of wide shift lenses for 645?
I'd love the idea of doing medium format one day, but after many years breaks from 35mm film, im finding the learning curve to digital pretty steep.

05-30-2010, 07:24 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
I have this lens, it's great fun and a very nice collectors item but honestly not wide enough on APC to be of real use. IQ is really good, but... It can be used for countryside churches and when there is a square in front of the building, but for indoors or across-the-street-shots it should rather have been 15mm or so. I guess mntngal is right about photoshopping being the viable alternative.

Kjell

do you have any examples of shots taken with the lens?

Im curious, particularly if APS-C and/or before and after shots!

anyone with any pentax 28mm shift lens shots - post away
05-30-2010, 07:26 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JayR Quote
4x5? as in medium format?
No, I think he means 4x5 as in large format as in view camera with at least front rise and tilt. The standard wide-angle would be a 90mm with prices used being in the $300+ range. Wider lenses are available, but much more expensive.

Steve
05-30-2010, 09:30 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

do you have any examples of shots taken with the lens?

Im curious, particularly if APS-C and/or before and after shots!

anyone with any pentax 28mm shift lens shots - post away
The K28/3.5 Shift is a great lens on film and 28mm is sufficient for most buildings. It’s a preset manual lens with horizontal and vertical shifting. You can also “turn off” the shifting and use it as a regular wide angle lens. It also has built-in filters for colour and b&w film. There is a scan of a b&w slide I took last year in Toronto, using my Pentax KX film camera.

Phil.
05-30-2010, 10:38 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had an unexpected opportunity to acquire one about a month or two ago. Thought about it for a couple of weeks, and finally passed on it. Everything I read, told me that on an APS-c sensor it would just not be wide enough. Looked like a fun lens to use, but the crop factor just does you in.

On you question about 645 shift lenses, the lens review data base does not have any listed, however there is an 85mm shift for a 67 body.
05-31-2010, 05:21 AM   #12

Original Poster
Ive heard this lens isnt great for more 'close' subjects?

Anyone know where its weakness lies or usefulness begins? Im working up to doing some studio work with models - i wondered how it might work for deliberately distorting perspective at lower level with long legs etc

also, can the shift mechanism be used vertically when the camera frame is in portrait format, ie on its side? or does it only shift in one direction?
05-31-2010, 07:47 AM   #13

Original Poster
Ive heard this lens isnt great for more 'close' subjects?

Anyone know where its weakness lies or usefulness begins? Im working up to doing some studio work with models - i wondered how it might work for deliberately distorting perspective at lower level with long legs etc

also, can the shift mechanism be used vertically when the camera frame is in portrait format, ie on its side? or does it only shift in one direction?
if anyone can shed some light on the above issues, it would be great!
05-31-2010, 11:37 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No for studio work, I think Ben_Edict tried it and was disappointed. The K28/3.5 shifts in both directions; vertical and horizontal. Phil.
06-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #15
Pentaxian

After shifting 1-11mm you can turn the shift 360 degrees, with 12 distinct click stops around the clock. So you can shift in any direction you want.

I'll try and find photos to post when I got the time, or maybe take some new ones.

Kjell