Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Awwwwkkkk!!! Big fat dust speck in my < 1yr old 77ltd!

I am bummed...my purdy, shiny and wonderful 77ltd has found a nice big bit of dust almost dead center of the front element. And yeah, I know it should not matter to IQ or even saturation, but it still is depressing to find in a lens this new that has seen so little use. In fact the last time I used it was at least 3-months ago (been under the weather for a few months).

Given it still has a couple months of warranty will Pentax cover a cleaning for this? It does affect the resale value no matter what anyone sez because people do not know how must dust or scratching it takes to affect the IQ...plus, I really do not feel happy about the thing now...I have never had any lense develop dust inside the front, or any element...and I have glass I've been using off and on since the 70s.

Anyway, I know this happens, it won't affect the shots I take with the lense but it sure is disheartening to see every time I take it out of it's pouch...and it's not even a zoom so there is not that rational for the dust being there....sigh...I think HoyaTax just hates me...my old ME Super still likes me though....I think!!

05-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you look at the patent for the FA Limiteds, the pixie dust is all located right behind the front element. Your lens may have extra dust, therefore it takes extra-good images. Or the dust may clump. Shake the lens hard to distribute it evenly.
05-29-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You may find a tiny stractch from when they open it to clean it. It may intoroduce more dust into another part of the lens. There is no way to make a lens like that dust free. I'm sure if you really look there are other dust particles somewhere on that lens that may be smaller of in a difficult to see location.

My advice is to just forget it as it does nothing but bother you in the same way a door dent would on a car. Unless you have plans to sell it for $10 less than it can be bought for new in the near future, it is pointless.
05-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
If you look at the patent for the FA Limiteds, the pixie dust is all located right behind the front element. Your lens may have extra dust, therefore it takes extra-good images. Or the dust may clump. Shake the lens hard to distribute it evenly.
hahahaha...thanks dude!! that must be the reason and I am ashamed I din't think of it first off!! It's just EXTRA Pixie Dust....how could I have been so thoughtless....sigh...well, since I am now almost AARP age I guess it's just me getting a jump on CRS.

your post really did give me a smile and chuckle!! thanks!!

05-29-2010, 05:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AlbertSiegel Quote
You may find a tiny stractch from when they open it to clean it. It may intoroduce more dust into another part of the lens. There is no way to make a lens like that dust free. I'm sure if you really look there are other dust particles somewhere on that lens that may be smaller of in a difficult to see location.

My advice is to just forget it as it does nothing but bother you in the same way a door dent would on a car. Unless you have plans to sell it for $10 less than it can be bought for new in the near future, it is pointless.
wow...I had a reply but nope, not going to being to comment on yours...lets just say....wow...
05-30-2010, 05:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi, sorry if my reply offended you. It seems as if there is misunderstanding. I meant no evil, only friendly advice that I was given once years ago. I apologize if it came out wrong.
05-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote

Steve
05-30-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm sorry to tell you. but that lens is now useless to you. it will only become useful if you send it to me. there's no other way.

05-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I'm sorry to tell you. but that lens is now useless to you. it will only become useful if you send it to me. there's no other way.
see...I just KNEW I could count on the good folks here to have the solution!! Consider it shipped and on it's way.

06-06-2010, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

I dislodged some dust from behind a lens's front element once by using a balloon. That's right, a ordinary rubber party balloon.

I rubbed it on my hair to get it all charged up with static electricity. And then I tapped the "hot spot" of the balloon on the front of the glass right where the dust was located (just touching, no friction for the sake of the coating). The accumulated charge on the balloon seemed to repel the dust and it just disappeared...presumably off to the side of the cavity behind the front element. This took a few rub/tap cycles to be effective, but eventually the dust moved.

Seemed like a safe and easy thing you might want to try.
06-06-2010, 05:01 PM   #11

Find someone over the age of 65, go to their house and use the static electricity in their old TV to pull that dust bunny off to the side. And then like Pentaxor said, send it to me.
06-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aerodave Quote
I dislodged some dust from behind a lens's front element once by using a balloon. That's right, a ordinary rubber party balloon.

I rubbed it on my hair to get it all charged up with static electricity. And then I tapped the "hot spot" of the balloon on the front of the glass right where the dust was located (just touching, no friction for the sake of the coating). The accumulated charge on the balloon seemed to repel the dust and it just disappeared...presumably off to the side of the cavity behind the front element. This took a few rub/tap cycles to be effective, but eventually the dust moved.

Seemed like a safe and easy thing you might want to try.
That is not too far fetched an idea....but it would have to be a pretty substantial charge. Also would it not have to be the oposite charge of what is currently holding the goober in place. But maybe some way of discharging the front element/particle would work. Gotta a couple buddy's who are PhD prof's in electrical engineering gotta see if I can trip them up on this idea...hehehehe...you know cuz PhD = Piled Higher & Deeper....snickersnciker...

But seriously it makes sense...because it pretty much would almost always be a static charge holding the dust in place to begin with...maybe, I dunno, but over time who knows...perhaps I need to build a new "pocket Van De Graaff Generator"...and just try some different charges...hehehehe....

QuoteOriginally posted by Internetpilot Quote
Find someone over the age of 65, go to their house and use the static electricity in their old TV to pull that dust bunny off to the side. And then like Pentaxor said, send it to me.
HAHAHA....I just tossed a TV that as a good 40yrs old but it din't have tubes so not enough static!!

I think I should just drill a hole right through the lense to get that sticky leetle bugger!! BTW, to be fair, Pentaxor does have dibs on it...but if he doesn't want it you'll be next in line...promise...
06-07-2010, 05:37 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
HAHAHA....I just tossed a TV that as a good 40yrs old but it din't have tubes so not enough static!!

I think I should just drill a hole right through the lense to get that sticky leetle bugger!! BTW, to be fair, Pentaxor does have dibs on it...but if he doesn't want it you'll be next in line...promise...
Aw, c'mon! Pentaxor didn't even offer any solution for possible repair! My old person TV solution should give me a jump in the queue! Do you not understand how worthless this lens is now?