Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2010, 07:05 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
It is an amazing lens. I even sold the A* 85 because I preferred the FA*. As far as results go, I'd say it's about tied with the A* 200mm Macro in my eyes, which is saying something.

BUT, and it's a big but, I quite often leave it behind because of its size. I don't so much mind the weight, but especially with the hood it's massive. Without the hood it's not too bad, but since it's susceptible to flare the hood is usually necessary. I'd try another hood if I could find a bayonet hood that worked on it, but I hate screw-on hoods. The fact that it's big, silver, and conspicuous has also caused me to leave it behind on occasion. It just screams, "I'm expensive". If it had the size, and fit and finish of the A* 85 I would never think of selling it.

On top of all that, I'm trying to not be so attached to my gear, and instead buy and sell more practically these days. I do still use the FA* more than all of my lenses except the 31 Ltd., but leaving it behind because of it's heft still occurs far too often.

I put in an offer on a 90mm Summicron-R on ebay, and if it's accepted the FA* will have to be sold. It's the same weight as the FA*, but it's smaller, has a built in hood, a minimum focus distance of 68cm, and has quite a good reputation. Also, one of the main reasons I was hesitant to sell the FA* and get the 77 Ltd. was because of the decrease in focal length. With the Summicron that wouldn't be a problem. It sounds like the perfect compromise for my desires for a short-tele lens. Also, it's a Leica I would miss the f1.4 max aperture, and the overall rendering of the FA* though

Well that's enough rationalization for me for the day Who would have imagined I'd develop the intention to possibly get rid of my second favorite lens in a thread about how amazing it is?

If anyone wants an FA* in excellent+ condition, I may be posting mine in the marketplace in a day or two.
Where were you when I was selling my 90/2 Summicron? That is a beautiful lens, and I loved the built-in hood, but I didn't find it nearly as sharp as the 77 at f/2. By f/2.8, though, it was perfect.

06-07-2010, 08:04 AM   #92
Nubi

After reading some of the Voe's I dream of Leica thread I just got a further crazy idea to possibly sell the FA* and buy a 90mm Summicron-R to convert to K-mount.

Yes, I think that's what I'll do if I do sell the FA*.

PM sent for FA85!!
06-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #93
Veteran Member

I saw your thread selling it and was about to PM you, when I realized it had already sold.

Anyway, I am now the proud owner of a NIB Summicron-R 90mm. It was a quite a bit more expensive than used ones, but I like getting camera stuff in the best condition possible. In fact, my FA* was like new when I got it, and is still very close to that. The Leitax converter is on its way, and the FA* will unfortunately be on its way out of my camera bag.

I know I'll be sad to see it go, but fortunately they aren't too rare, so if I can't stand being without one I can always come running back

Here's another photo with the FA*

Pentax LX, FA* 85mm (at 1.8 I believe), Agfa Ultra 100

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Where were you when I was selling my 90/2 Summicron? That is a beautiful lens, and I loved the built-in hood, but I didn't find it nearly as sharp as the 77 at f/2. By f/2.8, though, it was perfect.
06-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #94
Veteran Member

I saw your thread selling it and was about to PM you, when I realized it had already sold.

Anyway, I am now the proud owner of a NIB Summicron-R 90mm. It was a quite a bit more expensive than used ones, but I like getting camera stuff in the best condition possible. In fact, my FA* was like new when I got it, and is still very close to that. The Leitax converter is on its way, and the FA* will unfortunately be on its way out of my camera bag.

I know I'll be sad to see it go, but fortunately they aren't too rare, so if I can't stand being without one I can always come running back

Pentax LX, FA* 85mm (at 1.8 I believe), Agfa Ultra 100
Well, congrats on the new lens! The 90 is a beauty, and built in hoods are so nice!
I would've done a trade in a heartbeat, but my copy would never have been confused with new, so if this is going to be one of your main lenses I don't blame you for going with a new one! I went with a new Zeiss ZK 85 in the end, so I'm pretty happy too!
I hope you get years of use out of it!

And you're right--this is an odd turn in this thread

06-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Here's another one from the FA* 85mm

Pentax LX, FA* 85mm, Fuji Pro 160S, probably at f2.0
06-09-2010, 12:35 AM   #96

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I'd like to compare them, but how?
What i meant was both in terms of optical design (not just focal length x crop factor) AND images.

ie anyone shot portraits with FA*85 on film and compared with DA*55 on digital - and comparing the quality?

Im beginning to think (convince myself?) that 85mm with 1.5 crop is just going to be too long for portrait work. I do also have the 77 ltd, so maybe i REALLY dont need the FA85... urghh
06-09-2010, 01:21 AM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JayR Quote
What i meant was both in terms of optical design (not just focal length x crop factor) AND images.

ie anyone shot portraits with FA*85 on film and compared with DA*55 on digital - and comparing the quality?

Im beginning to think (convince myself?) that 85mm with 1.5 crop is just going to be too long for portrait work. I do also have the 77 ltd, so maybe i REALLY dont need the FA85... urghh
I had shot with a 50,55,70,85, and 90mm for portrait works. each lens at their respective focal lengths have their own unique rendering that the users like based on their subjective preferences. usually it is what a person see in the image, that makes him like the lens for such use. all these lenses are capable of delivering outstanding portraits, but it depends on what the photographer and subject prefers to see. aperture speed also plays a role in needing a lens.
06-09-2010, 06:25 AM   #98
Veteran Member

I put in an offer on a 90mm Summicron-R on ebay, and if it's accepted the FA* will have to be sold. It's the same weight as the FA*, but it's smaller, has a built in hood, a minimum focus distance of 68cm, and has quite a good reputation. Also, one of the main reasons I was hesitant to sell the FA* and get the 77 Ltd. was because of the decrease in focal length. With the Summicron that wouldn't be a problem. It sounds like the perfect compromise for my desires for a short-tele lens. Also, it's a Leica I would miss the f1.4 max aperture, and the overall rendering of the FA* though
Don't do that. Keep them both. They are different. I have now Summicron 90, Vivitar SP1 90 and FA*85 and love them all. Each is different.
Of course FA* advantage is AF and f1.4.

Pentax PENTAX K20D,Leitz 90mm f/2 Summicron-R
1/200s f/4.0 at 90.0mm iso250

Pentax PENTAX K20D,Vivitar 90 mm f/2.5 Macro
1/250s f2.5 90.0mm iso200

Pentax PENTAX K20D,Pentax smc P-FA* 85mm f/1.4 IF
1/200s f/1.4 at 85.0mm iso100

06-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Unfortunately I don't have the money to keep them both. That's another thing that swayed me to get the Summicron and sell the FA*. Even with buying a new Summicron and Leitax converter, I'll have a couple hundred dollars left over after the sale of the FA*.

I'm gearing up, or I guess gearing down in this case , for a cross country road trip that will also serve as a permanent move to the other side of the country. Trimming down my collection of gear is necessary, both for financial and practical reasons. Keeping a great lens that I hesitate to take out because of its size just isn't practical.

AF isn't a big deal to me because lately I've been using an LX for about 90% of my photos. The 1.4 aspect was a big deal because the FA* had been my fastest lens for the last few months, but I just got an M 50mm 1.2 this week, so if I need fast I've got it. Of course the focal lengths are vastly different, but for what I want wide aperture lenses for, 85mm is usually too long anyway.

QuoteOriginally posted by Piotr Quote
Don't do that. Keep them both. They are different. I have now Summicron 90, Vivitar SP1 90 and FA*85 and love them all. Each is different.

Pentax PENTAX K20D,Leitz 90mm f/2 Summicron-R
1/200s f/4.0 at 90.0mm iso250

Pentax PENTAX K20D,Vivitar 90 mm f/2.5 Macro
1/250s f2.5 90.0mm iso200

Pentax PENTAX K20D,Pentax smc P-FA* 85mm f/1.4 IF
1/200s f/1.4 at 85.0mm iso100
06-09-2010, 11:28 PM   #100
Veteran Member

Unfortunately I don't have the money to keep them both. That's another thing that swayed me to get the Summicron and sell the FA*. Even with buying a new Summicron and Leitax converter, I'll have a couple hundred dollars left over after the sale of the FA*.

I'm gearing up, or I guess gearing down in this case , for a cross country road trip that will also serve as a permanent move to the other side of the country. Trimming down my collection of gear is necessary, both for financial and practical reasons. Keeping a great lens that I hesitate to take out because of its size just isn't practical.

AF isn't a big deal to me because lately I've been using an LX for about 90% of my photos. The 1.4 aspect was a big deal because the FA* had been my fastest lens for the last few months, but I just got an M 50mm 1.2 this week, so if I need fast I've got it. Of course the focal lengths are vastly different, but for what I want wide aperture lenses for, 85mm is usually too long anyway.
So it is probably best solution for you. Summicron 90 is the sweetest Leica lens I've tested till now.
06-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #101
Veteran Member

That's good to hear.I was perusing the pictures taken with it on flickr and there were a few that just blew me away, so I hope I'll be able to get some similar results.

I doubt it will match the FA*, but I wouldn't expect any lens to be able to.

So it is probably best solution for you. Summicron 90 is the sweetest Leica lens I've tested till now.
06-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #102
Veteran Member

I hate the lens... Nothing is sharp in the background!

06-21-2010, 12:38 PM   #103
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Asahiflex, rumor has it that you sold off half of your ~ 85mm lenses recently. Raising money for a ff or 645D?
06-21-2010, 01:25 PM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Asahiflex, rumor has it that you sold off half of your ~ 85mm lenses recently. Raising money for a ff or 645D?
No, I want more FA* and FA Limited lenses, that's why
06-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #105
Veteran Member

Guys,

How do you mount that Leica Summicron-R 90mm to Pentax DSLR?
What kind of converter do you use?
Also I believe it becomes manual focus only, right?

I'd appreciate if someone can post some photos showing how the lens looks like mounted on Pentax DSLR...and maybe with the hood too (since I'm curious)

Thanks again,