Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-06-2010, 05:28 PM   #76
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I think I might be crazy. I'm thinking of selling my FA* 85mm again. It's optically amazing, but it's just so big. I'm going on a cross country road trip in a few months and will be regularly making stops to take photo walks/hikes. Smaller would be greatly preferred, but I don't know if I would want to sacrifice the FA* for something smaller like the 77mm Ltd. Unfortunately I can't afford to have both.

06-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #77
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
I think I might be crazy. I'm thinking of selling my FA* 85mm again. It's optically amazing, but it's just so big. I'm going on a cross country road trip in a few months and will be regularly making stops to take photo walks/hikes. Smaller would be greatly preferred, but I don't know if I would want to sacrifice the FA* for something smaller like the 77mm Ltd. Unfortunately I can't afford to have both.

Oh, boy. Here we go again, fueling my LBA!!!

I happened to be in Japan at the moment, and I stumbled onto a "used camera show" in Tokyo. There was a very clean copy of FA 85 there, not to mention unused A*85 for about $1300. Now this A* 85 I have never seen in person, and I was surprised to see how small it was.
06-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #78
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Oh, boy. Here we go again, fueling my LBA!!!

I happened to be in Japan at the moment, and I stumbled onto a "used camera show" in Tokyo. There was a very clean copy of FA 85 there, not to mention unused A*85 for about $1300. Now this A* 85 I have never seen in person, and I was surprised to see how small it was.
That A* is absolutely amazing. The 77mm has similarities in optical formula.
06-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #79
Inactive Account

The A* 85 really is quite compact. Really well built and sturdy too. I'd say it's the most well built, not to mention beautiful, lens I've used.

I just wish Pentax would custom make me an 85 with the optics of the FA* in the body of the A*. I don't really need AF and it would be nice not to have to worry about the paint of the FA* coming off, or the fact that its silver finish sticks out like a sore thumb.

06-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #80
Nubi

I have a DA 70 ltd. I have been anticipating FF and about a year ago I began buying lenses that are compatible. Some say DA 70 you can use on FF, but if I recall correctly, falconeye was not too hot on that idea based on his testing, and if he says it, i believe it. So I have been considering FA* 85 or A*85 or Zeiss 85 zk.

But APS-C/70mm is just not the same as FF/85mm, as you guys all know. So, with very twisted logics I can justify getting FF/85 even though I own APS-C/70.

After looking at that A*, I would very much like to try it out. I had a k-7 with me yesterday when I saw it, and needless to say the sales person would not let me mount that A* on my K-7 because it was an unused copy.
06-06-2010, 10:16 PM   #81
Inactive Account

After reading some of the Voe's I dream of Leica thread I just got a further crazy idea to possibly sell the FA* and buy a 90mm Summicron-R to convert to K-mount.

Yes, I think that's what I'll do if I do sell the FA*.
06-06-2010, 11:34 PM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
After reading some of the Voe's I dream of Leica thread I just got a further crazy idea to possibly sell the FA* and buy a 90mm Summicron-R to convert to K-mount.

Yes, I think that's what I'll do if I do sell the FA*.
Not trying to prevent you from selling your FA*, but please think a little more about it.

Personally... I've owned loads of Pentax lenses, but the FA* 85/1.4 is the first one that I can find no faults in. Since getting it it has way exceeded my expectations. I've used it almost exclusively on a family day, a week ago, and all of the shots were well exposed, sharp and show so much 3D I've not seen before.

However, I can understand that the weight is a problem. Maybe a simple solution would be to get a plastic hood; after all the original hood is all-metal and heavy. Try it.

06-07-2010, 01:03 AM   #83
Inactive Account

It is an amazing lens. I even sold the A* 85 because I preferred the FA*. As far as results go, I'd say it's about tied with the A* 200mm Macro in my eyes, which is saying something.

BUT, and it's a big but, I quite often leave it behind because of its size. I don't so much mind the weight, but especially with the hood it's massive. Without the hood it's not too bad, but since it's susceptible to flare the hood is usually necessary. I'd try another hood if I could find a bayonet hood that worked on it, but I hate screw-on hoods. The fact that it's big, silver, and conspicuous has also caused me to leave it behind on occasion. It just screams, "I'm expensive". If it had the size, and fit and finish of the A* 85 I would never think of selling it.

On top of all that, I'm trying to not be so attached to my gear, and instead buy and sell more practically these days. I do still use the FA* more than all of my lenses except the 31 Ltd., but leaving it behind because of it's heft still occurs far too often.

I put in an offer on a 90mm Summicron-R on ebay, and if it's accepted the FA* will have to be sold. It's the same weight as the FA*, but it's smaller, has a built in hood, a minimum focus distance of 68cm, and has quite a good reputation. Also, one of the main reasons I was hesitant to sell the FA* and get the 77 Ltd. was because of the decrease in focal length. With the Summicron that wouldn't be a problem. It sounds like the perfect compromise for my desires for a short-tele lens. Also, it's a Leica I would miss the f1.4 max aperture, and the overall rendering of the FA* though

Well that's enough rationalization for me for the day Who would have imagined I'd develop the intention to possibly get rid of my second favorite lens in a thread about how amazing it is?

If anyone wants an FA* in excellent+ condition, I may be posting mine in the marketplace in a day or two.

Last edited by Votesh; 06-07-2010 at 01:10 AM.
06-07-2010, 01:14 AM   #84
Pentaxian

Sad to see your FA* go, but I fully understand your requirements. But fortunately it will certainly find a good new home, and I'm sure you'll be able to sell it quite fast too.
06-07-2010, 01:18 AM   #85
Pentaxian

I'm certainly a flash novice, but this weekend I got my wireless flash trigger from DealExtreme (to fire my very old Courtenay studio flash setup) and it appears to work.

Of course, used my already trusty FA* 85 here. Never mind the uninteresting lighting and background

06-07-2010, 01:35 AM   #86
Inactive Account

If the offer is accepted for the Summicron I'm sure I'll be sad to see it go too. Aside from the A* Macro, which I think really has no flaws and is peerless, the FA* 85 has been my second favorite lens. It is absolutely spectacular for portraits, as well as anything else I've used it for.

Couple of photos from it:
Film

Digital

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Sad to see your FA* go, but I fully understand your requirements. But fortunately it will certainly find a good new home, and I'm sure you'll be able to sell it quite fast too.
06-07-2010, 01:38 AM   #87
Veteran Member

if Sigma didn't came up with an 85mm, I would had gotten myself one for $900 last year before Sigma's official announcement and while I was on a look-out for a fairly priced AF 85. $800 would had been a sweet deal for me. now with the Sigma, it has been quit difficult for me to even justify acquiring an FA* priced over a $1,000 regardless of it's reputation. the availability of another lens option for me has somehow increased the supply which would definitely decrease the demand for the more expensive classic and legendary lenses. I'm not saying that all sellers of the FA* would decrease or would no longer consider the collector's value of the lens, but some of them might be influenced by decreasing the price if ever the demand for the FA* would go in a deep dive.
06-07-2010, 01:47 AM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
if Sigma didn't came up with an 85mm, I would had gotten myself one for $900 last year before Sigma's official announcement and while I was on a look-out for a fairly priced AF 85. $800 would had been a sweet deal for me. now with the Sigma, it has been quit difficult for me to even justify acquiring an FA* priced over a $1,000 regardless of it's reputation.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Be careful not to be over-enthusiastic about the Sigma until you have seen the first samples with it. On paper it looks promising though.
06-07-2010, 01:52 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Be careful not to be over-enthusiastic about the Sigma until you have seen the first samples with it. On paper it looks promising though.
don't worry, I'll make sure that I'll have a dose of panacea along side with me. if the Sigma is a complete dud, I will sell it and buy an FA*. but I still won't pay over a $1,000 for it though.
06-07-2010, 05:21 AM   #90

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
to show the difference in rendering tonalities, metal and glass. showing those materials vibrancy and life-likeness.
this