Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2010, 03:21 PM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
How do you mount that Leica Summicron-R 90mm to Pentax DSLR?
Check out leitax.

06-22-2010, 06:36 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Guys,

How do you mount that Leica Summicron-R 90mm to Pentax DSLR?
What kind of converter do you use?
Also I believe it becomes manual focus only, right?

I'd appreciate if someone can post some photos showing how the lens looks like mounted on Pentax DSLR...and maybe with the hood too (since I'm curious)

Thanks again,
The Leica Summicron-R is manual focus to begin with, so you're not losing much

I don't have my copy anymore, but I took some pics of it when I had it and when I did the conversion.

I bought a mount on eBay from China for about $30 and the conversion was very easy (you have to remove the Leica mount and put on the new one). I just searched for "leica pentax" and they came up. It took about 20 minutes and that was including the time I spent taking pics along the way.

The only thing to watch for with the ones from China are that there's one screw hole placed right where the locking pin is when you mount the lens. If you keep the mount button depressed when you mount the lens it's fine. I think the Leitax ones just don't have a screw hole there.

Here's the converted lens. You can see the light baffle is removed and the old mount is in the background there:

and here it is on the camera (sorry--not a good pic but it still looks sweet!):

Beauty shot with hood retracted:

This is the only pic I have of the hood extended--it's a really nice two piece hood:
06-22-2010, 01:44 PM   #108
Inactive Account

I'm still patiently waiting for mine, 2 weeks after buying it on ebay. Apparently the seller made a mistake and sent out another order to someone that hadn't paid, when I sent my payment, and thought that I still hadn't paid. I don't know how it could have happened, but it sucks.
Should finally be here at the end of the week and I've got the Leitax converter waiting for it.
06-22-2010, 01:47 PM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
I'm still patiently waiting for mine, 2 weeks after buying it on ebay. Apparently the seller made a mistake and sent out another order to someone that hadn't paid, when I sent my payment, and thought that I still hadn't paid. I don't know how it could have happened, but it sucks.
Should finally be here at the end of the week and I've got the Leitax converter waiting for it.
Man, that's horrible! (and sounds a bit like a lame excuse for not shipping your order, but stranger things have happened)

At least you're ready for the conversion--I had to wait a few weeks for my adapter after I go the lens. Now THAT's torture!

06-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #110
Inactive Account

The wait is pretty horrible. As long as I get it, and it's in the condition it's supposed to be in, it's alright. At least they refunded the shipping.

I sold my DA* 16-50mm last week too, so I could buy an ultra-wide that worked on film properly. I decided to replace it with a Contax 18mm Distagon that I'm going to convert using another converter from Leitax, but that converter still hasn't shown up. I got the lens on Thursday and now I go to my P.O. Box every day hoping to see the converter there but no such luck so far. Maybe tomorrow.

Also, apparently I'm crazy for converters lately.

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Man, that's horrible! (and sounds a bit like a lame excuse for not shipping your order, but stranger things have happened)

At least you're ready for the conversion--I had to wait a few weeks for my adapter after I go the lens. Now THAT's torture!
06-23-2010, 02:12 PM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Check out leitax.
Thank you for the link, rparmar.
06-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
The Leica Summicron-R is manual focus to begin with, so you're not losing much

I don't have my copy anymore, but I took some pics of it when I had it and when I did the conversion.

I bought a mount on eBay from China for about $30 and the conversion was very easy (you have to remove the Leica mount and put on the new one). I just searched for "leica pentax" and they came up. It took about 20 minutes and that was including the time I spent taking pics along the way.

The only thing to watch for with the ones from China are that there's one screw hole placed right where the locking pin is when you mount the lens. If you keep the mount button depressed when you mount the lens it's fine. I think the Leitax ones just don't have a screw hole there.

This is the only pic I have of the hood extended--it's a really nice two piece hood:

Thanks for the infos & photos, farfisa.
So is this converter from China the same with the one sold by leitax?

That hood is really interesting. I've never seen one before on the lens but it reminds me of a plastic retractable cup when I was a kid.

06-23-2010, 03:54 PM   #113
Veteran Member

Thanks for the infos & photos, farfisa.
So is this converter from China the same with the one sold by leitax?

That hood is really interesting. I've never seen one before on the lens but it reminds me of a plastic retractable cup when I was a kid.
Hey, I remember those cups!

The Leitax adapter only has five holes, so it doesn't interfere with the locking pin. I've never used the Leitax adapter, but the Chinese one was very solid, all made out of metal, but with a more matte appearance than the original mount.

Sorry for the threadjacking!
07-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #114
Pentaxian

Mmm...too much Leica talk in this topic!

We had a nice party yesterday :

07-09-2010, 05:55 AM   #115
Inactive Account

What about the forgotten Pentax 85 m85?

There must not have been a large production of M85 f2 because I almost never see it mentioned in discussions of Pentax ~85's

I have just bought one and am awaiting delivery - any comparison thoughts/anecdotes? I have wanted a copy of this lens for years and finally found one in great condition at a good price. They claim it is an exceptionally sharp copy also

I already have the 77, and while I may eventually get an FA* I am excited to get the M85 f/2...

Last edited by Inspector 17; 07-09-2010 at 06:01 AM.
07-09-2010, 06:08 AM   #116
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Inspector 17 Quote
There must not have been a large production of M85 f2 because I almost never see it mentioned in discussions of Pentax ~85's

I have just bought one and am awaiting delivery - any comparison thoughts/anecdotes? I have wanted a copy of this lens for years and finally found one in great condition at a good price. They claim it is an exceptionally sharp copy also

I already have the 77, and while I may eventually get an FA* I am excited to get the M85 f/2...
I understand why you would want the M85/2. I also have it, just as I have the FA* and the FA77. The M85 is optically a great lens, but I don't use it all that much because of the metering difficulties (in my case: laziness). I have made some stunning shots with the M85. The only thing is that you need to avoid harsh lighting conditions because the lens easily shows CA.
07-09-2010, 06:14 AM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I understand why you would want the M85/2. I also have it, just as I have the FA* and the FA77. The M85 is optically a great lens, but I don't use it all that much because of the metering difficulties (in my case: laziness). I have made some stunning shots with the M85. The only thing is that you need to avoid harsh lighting conditions because the lens easily shows CA.
I should be shot for this question but I just have to ask it. I've always thought the m85/2 to be inferior to the Tak 85/1.9/1.8 and the K85/1.8. Hell, I've always thought it was the worst 85 in the Pentax lineup. How off base am I here?
07-09-2010, 06:36 AM   #118
Inactive Account

My first camera was a k1000and for the first 10 years or so, I only had manual exposure cameras. Digital makes this easy to me. You can just "green button" the shot OR go manual and chimp the exposure OR shoot limited to wide open, though I understand the M85 benefits greatly from stopping down one stop...

"I should be shot for this question but I just have to ask it. I've always thought the m85/2 to be inferior to the Tak 85/1.9/1.8 and the K85/1.8. Hell, I've always thought it was the worst 85 in the Pentax lineup. How off base am I here?

I have heard mixed reviews also - from terrible to unbelievably good. I have seen some superb shots using the lens. It has interesting contrast and color rendition characteristics. The sharpness like mentioned elsewhere benefits from stopping down to 2.8 or 4.0 but it is also mentioned that the softness at 2.0 is useful for portraits.

I will be seeing mine hopefully by today or tomorrow.
07-09-2010, 06:38 AM   #119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
I should be shot for this question but I just have to ask it. I've always thought the m85/2 to be inferior to the Tak 85/1.9/1.8 and the K85/1.8. Hell, I've always thought it was the worst 85 in the Pentax lineup. How off base am I here?
It's just that the M85/2 shows more CA in bad conditions. But it's by no means a bad lens! It's optically similar to the Olympus Zuiko 85/2, which is also highly regarded.

Two of my fave shots with the M85/2:
http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo293/spotmatic/m852-02.jpg
http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo293/spotmatic/smc852-04.jpg

BTW: I don't recognize the softness at f/2. The last one above was shot at f/2...

Personally I think the 83m f/1.9 Takumar is the best portrait Takumar (not one of the 85mm's). It even has more elements than its later cousins (7 as opposed to 5 in the 85/1.9 Super Tak and 6 in the S-M-C Tak) which delivers a (to me) unique rendering.
07-09-2010, 06:48 AM   #120
Veteran Member

It's just that the M85/2 shows more CA in bad conditions. But it's by no means a bad lens! It's optically similar to the Olympus Zuiko 85/2, which is also highly regarded.

Two of my fave shots with the M85/2:
http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo293/spotmatic/m852-02.jpg
http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo293/spotmatic/smc852-04.jpg

BTW: I don't recognize the softness at f/2. The last one above was shot at f/2...

Personally I think the 83m f/1.9 Takumar is the best portrait Takumar (not one of the 85mm's). It even has more elements than its later cousins (7 as opposed to 5 in the 85/1.9 Super Tak and 6 in the S-M-C Tak) which delivers a (to me) unique rendering.
Beautiful shots! Thanks for explaining it. Wow, now I have to spend money on a new rare Takumar 83...

I think I've seen you before on the MF lenses forum for the rare Ennalyt 85mm lens. Are you the one with the incredible 85mm collection?