Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I’ve had a fascination for this lens, for a long time

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
"Call me crazy, but keep in mind that I think that 85mm is nearly ideal for landscapes"

I actually prefer longer lenses for landscapes, ultra wide angle lenses make the foreground too dominant....I prefer my images to be proportional.
I've always liked landscape with tele lenses. Maybe because its not really something that I've managed myself.

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I made these during my lunch break, just to see how the FA* 85 performs wide open and in bright sunlight. No contrast enhancements performed, only resized and sharpened with Absolute Sharpening Web.

Peter, if I could just in my lunchbreak, takes pictures like these; I would be very pleased.
So you have a lot of experience with 85 mm lenses, but prefer the FA* 85/1.4 ?

A lot of great photos in the thread, btw.

Last edited by Jonson PL; 11-07-2010 at 01:59 PM. Reason: addition, now that I read the entire thread
11-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #152
Veteran Member

It is versatile lens. Good for portraits:

Pentax PENTAX K20D,Pentax smc P-FA* 85mm f/1.4 IF
1/800s f/1.4 at 85.0mm iso160

nice for landscapes:

1/250s f/8.0 at 85.0mm iso320

and some close-up work too:

1/500s f/1.6 at 85.0mm iso100
11-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #153

Tuve la enorme suerte de poder comprar , hace meses , un 85mm FA 1.4 NUEVO !! y realmente es una lente increible, no hay que olvidar un detalle , la composicion del cristal incorpora plomo , ahora esta prohibido , pero ahora no se hacen cristales de esa calidad .

Chauuuu
11-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #154
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Regardless of what it contains, I'm pretty happy with my copy..

11-07-2010, 02:02 AM   #155

I was lucky enough to be able to buy, for months, an FA 85mm 1.4 NEW! and really is an amazing lens, do not forget a detail, the composition of the glass includes lead, now banned, but now there are crystals that quality.

Chauuuu

Original post in Spanish
11-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #156
Veteran Member

My younger son turned one today... reason enough to pull out the FA*85

K5 + FA*85 @ f/2.8, 1/60s, ISO 2000

Last edited by dgaies; 11-09-2010 at 10:23 PM. Reason: changed image source
11-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #157
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
dgaies My younger son turned one today... reason enough to pull out the FA*85
K5 & the Fa 85--doesn't get any better than that. Great shot! Hey, both he and the frogs have the same color eyes btw.

11-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #158
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
K5 & the Fa 85--doesn't get any better than that. Great shot! Hey, both he and the frogs have the same color eyes btw.
spending too much time in the pond lately?
11-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #159
Banned

Last sunday I went to National Monument "Kamp Vught", a place where in World War II lots of people where gattered, forced to work, some excecuted or transported to camp in Germany or Poland. Jews, but also political refugees. With the K-5 en de FA*85.

1) In a dorm, where 240 people where sleeping, 3 story's high in in-camera HDR.

2) Behind the fence.

3)

4) On the wall with messages from visitors.

5) Tour for toerists.

6) From the above picture. The FA* holds his ground resolution wise on the new K-5. Is the resolution of the K-5 that much better then from the K-7?
11-22-2010, 03:50 PM   #160
Veteran Member

Hey Pentax..... I'd love one of these with a black metal limited style + WR treatment.

Does the FA* 85mm have quick-shift?
11-22-2010, 04:07 PM   #161
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Hey Pentax..... I'd love one of these with a black metal limited style + WR treatment.

Does the FA* 85mm have quick-shift?
No there is no quick-shift on the FA* series.

Well a new D-FA*85mm/f1.4 SDM IF would be great, but then again there isn't much demand for so if that is likely for Hoya to produce?
11-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #162
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

Well a new D-FA*85mm/f1.4 SDM IF would be great, but then again there isn't much demand for so if that is likely for Hoya to produce?
Given the price of the used FA 85mm F/1.4 there has to be decent demand. If nothing else the new Sigma will provide an option for people.
11-22-2010, 05:58 PM   #163
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I was thinking of more like the 100mm WR Macro such that the lens is still screw-drive and pretty much the same as the existing FA* 85mm, but with a new solid black all metal casing, WR, and quick-shift. I don't think I could justify 1100+ for a used 85mm, especially when there is no warranty and have I have no way of knowing if it's a "good copy" or one the person is trying to get rid of because it isn't. I'm okay with buying a cheap used lens (got a DA14mm f2.8 for $300 a while back locally), but when it comes to higher end ones through the Internet...

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Given the price of the used FA 85mm F/1.4 there has to be decent demand. If nothing else the new Sigma will provide an option for people.
I agree. Another thing I wonder about is how costly it is for Pentax to manufacture a lens that doesn't have big volume like kit lenses. It seems to me that they do the manufacturing of Limiteds in spurts throughout the month, so I'm guessing they have a pretty lean system set up. I wish that I could find information about the whole process to see what are the deciding factors for if they release a lens or not. If it were my business I'd really try to keep my lineup valid with special defining features (WR, quickshift, etc), which are enough to motivate people to buy that new lens even when they have the older model (How many bought a 100mm WR Macro when they already had an older version?).
11-23-2010, 09:45 AM   #164
Veteran Member

I was thinking of more like the 100mm WR Macro such that the lens is still screw-drive and pretty much the same as the existing FA* 85mm, but with a new solid black all metal casing, WR, and quick-shift. I don't think I could justify 1100+ for a used 85mm, especially when there is no warranty and have I have no way of knowing if it's a "good copy" or one the person is trying to get rid of because it isn't. I'm okay with buying a cheap used lens (got a DA14mm f2.8 for $300 a while back locally), but when it comes to higher end ones through the Internet...

I agree. Another thing I wonder about is how costly it is for Pentax to manufacture a lens that doesn't have big volume like kit lenses. It seems to me that they do the manufacturing of Limiteds in spurts throughout the month, so I'm guessing they have a pretty lean system set up. I wish that I could find information about the whole process to see what are the deciding factors for if they release a lens or not. If it were my business I'd really try to keep my lineup valid with special defining features (WR, quickshift, etc), which are enough to motivate people to buy that new lens even when they have the older model (How many bought a 100mm WR Macro when they already had an older version?).
All good points. The new K-5 is going to attract wedding photographers who really need the DR and higher ISO. Will Pentax have the glass to attract this group of shooters? The few times I have seen someone shooting a wedding with Pentax they have been using Tamron or Sigma lenses. The DA* 55mm is the first lens from Pentax that seems aimed for this group. A DA* 85mm Limited would be a welcome addition.
11-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #165
Banned

Well that is quit simple. First of all you have your productioncosts, wich are very easy to calculate, this lens is likely being to assemble at the sime costs as a DA*200mm lens or alike.

Then you have your materials to buy or produce for the lens, not cheap aming at a top of the line lens, but then again maybe to be compare to a DA*300 or zo.

Then you have your designing costs. An almost fixed number, several month being busy with a number of engineers in R&D (designing, making samples and testing). These costs you have to make a return on in a given period (say 5 years) and an expected number of lenses to be sold.

Given the low numbers on this lens and quality demand of the glass you cannot expect it to be at the price for the DA*300, but it will be significantly more expencive.