Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBirds Quote
Funny that you still assume we're 'entry-level photographers' because we bought a 'value-priced' or 'budget DSLR' (as I've seen it described elsewhere). I was shooting film ten years before you were born.
I think the term 'entry level' is marketing-speak, one used to condition the consumer to the idea of constant upgrades and the 'trade up' syndrome. This term also makes those who shell out the big bucks for their gear feel better about their expenditure.

This sort of escalator is the wet dream of manufacturers and merchants: you get someone hooked at the entry level, and why, they'll progress through the stations to the top level.

Earlier in the thread I'd pointed out this bias in the surprise that the K-x was more popular than the K200D and K100D, while with the expensive models the situation was reversed. This isn't only because Pentax is drawing new 'entry level' photographers 'stepping up' from p&s or ev digitals (the marketing proposal). It is because Pentaxians discern price/performance, and due to the improvements in digital quality, the K-x image is what draws them, despite the 'entry level' body features.

06-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Great Job.. My wish list is..

DA* 35mm f1.2 & DA* 90mm f1.8
and with the DA* 55mm f1.4 already out there.. Pentax would have a killer portrait lineup for APS-C

35mm = 52.5mm f1.2
55mm = 82.5mm f1.4
90mm = 135mm f1.8
06-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #78
Inactive Account

great survey.
My stuff K20D + DA*50-135mm + DAL 18-55mm + Phenix 50 1.7
seems no conflict with the result.
I am a common owner.

DA* 16-50mm is on my wish list.
06-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #79
Inactive Account

Hey Kevin,
Just wanted you to know that I really appreciate the effort that went into this survey. My critique is meant strictly as constructive, (for the next time) and hope you'll consider doing so again. One point I intended (and forgot) to make in my ramblings yesterday, was regarding the question "Which lens needs an upgrade"? I was rather confused as to how to respond to that because its kind of vague. Upgrade what? ergonomics, optics, focus, speed? I wasn't sure what you were looking for here.
Don't give up because of a few negatives, I think this was a good project that just needs a little refining. One that could very well have some weight with the "powers to be" at Pentax.

06-05-2010, 03:12 PM   #80
Forum Member

I think there is a major limitation with the DA*55's SDM only design. I considered it vs the FA50/1.4 for all of 5 seconds (at most), before deciding to pass on the newer and more expensive design.

The FA50 will autofocus with my *istD. This is especially important since I like to put a prime on my *istD when using it with a Ringflash for portraits. Manual focusing while holding the camera + Ringflash was not an acceptable option to me.
06-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #81

Great Poll and analysis! Thanks!

Hi Kevin, that was a great poll and fantastic analysis.

Thanks, I really enjoyed participating and reading the results.

I would consider myself as a sample from the entry level user & budget conscious / restricted sections.

The K200D is my first DSLR and it was purchased as a EOL special for $600 with 18-55mm lens inclusive.

Spending over $1000 for a camera was not and is likely never to be an option for me.

When buying lenses my interest is usually restricted to the sub AU$300 price brackets. (Often buying direct from the USA for the better prices).

From my perspective I can really relate to some of your conclusions.

I am very interested to see more WR lens options.

I bought a 18-55mm WR so I would have a complete WR setup (Camera, Lens, & grip).

I would love to see 55-300mm WR & Fisheye WR lens options.

I would also like to see a cheap AF 50mm lens. My Canon friend is forever razzing me over this.

I only buy Pentax lens's exclusively as I would never buy a lens that doesn't have the quick shift focus feature. And more recently I have now held off on purchases hoping to see more lens's with WR sealing.

The only non Pentax accessory I am considering is the Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-1 Flash. I don't think it's WR though. In fact does Pentax make a WR flash either?

I totally agree on your comment of K-x users being from the fold of soccer mums and Japanese School Girls.
Every K-x owner I have met to date would fit this generalised stereo type.

For me when looking for an upgrade path the K-x was a big disappointment to me.
The camera it's self is nice enough but the choice by Pentax to cripple it or position it at a lower market point by leaving out some critical features (Viewfinder focus points, Weather proofing, Quick shift focus etc) was a shocking disappointment.

But I'm sure they will release more models in the future.
I am very happy with my K200D but I look forward to a future upgrade option that improves on the K200D with LiveView, Video capabilities, & Pentaprism.

I would also love to see you do further analysis on the data you have collected and look forward to hearing what other perceived trends you can uncover from the data.

.-.-.
06-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vk4akp Quote
The only non Pentax accessory I am considering is the Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-1 Flash. I don't think it's WR though. In fact does Pentax make a WR flash either?
No, they don't (I'm quite sure).

QuoteQuote:
I totally agree on your comment of K-x users being from the fold of soccer mums and Japanese School Girls.
Every K-x owner I have met to date would fit this generalised stereo type.
It was more a joke than anything else, but your anecdotal evidence supports the theory that this is the reason the K-x was underrepresented

QuoteQuote:
I would also love to see you do further analysis on the data you have collected and look forward to hearing what other perceived trends you can uncover from the data.
I won't be doing any further analysis. However, some people have asked for the original results so they might be presenting new interesting data.
06-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #83
Site Supporter

Again... Thank you very much for the survey. It has raised a lot of interesting questions. As you said this survey will be the basis, the seed for others. We can now sit back and play arm-chair quarterback. But who did it. Who did a good job. There are facts in those numbers; fact is most own the DA18-55mm. Fact is (well possible) its a 50/50 split with K10/K20 owners. Now on that comment. Its easy to write with one thing in mind (something very innocent) and have it interpreted wrong. We don't know what was in Kevins heart therefore I will not judge him... why do you think the DA*50-135mm is at number 3 for lens owned in this surveys respondents; anybody?