Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2010, 03:29 AM   #31
Forum Member

Congrats on a great survey

One thing that caught my eye was that 5% thought the DA*60-250 needed an upgrade but only 4% owned it!! Upgrade to what I wonder.
As for interest in the DA85, I for one always preferred the 135 focal length for portraits. So perhaps I'm not alone

06-02-2010, 03:31 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UltraWide Quote
One thing that caught my eye was that 5% thought the DA*60-250 needed an upgrade but only 4% owned it!! Upgrade to what I wonder.
The 'upgrade' percentage included people who answered 'I don't own this lens, but would consider buying it if it was upgraded'.
06-02-2010, 03:45 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
For the sake of clean statistics, each question should default to "no response" in future surveys, IMO.

I think it might also be easier to host the survey here on our site rather than through Google. We could then use our own data structures and not have to write a parser for the results.
A good idea, and if it is possible to parse the data semi-automatically, then maybe having the poll as a recurring event, to see trends, fashion (and hype) in the choices we make.

If we could make this the Pentax Lens Survey, and maybe complete it with a dSLR survey, it would probably be hard for Pentax to ignore it.

Another idea might be to contact Pentax for a cooperation in surveys. Pentax want the data (I would guess) and we would like to make pentax listen to what we want, a win-win project. Maybe even see if they can sponsor the event and include a lottery with some goodies for participation.
06-02-2010, 03:48 AM   #34

I participated in this survey, and I am happy.
Very interesting results.
Hopefully mom pentax see them, so you decide to produce some new lenses, especially the DA* 135 f / 1.8, solve the problem of many and many of these would be very happy.
Especially me.

Congratulations again for her work.
Good

06-02-2010, 05:21 AM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
I'm not too sure on this, but I think at one point it was the cheapest Pentax DSLR available, below the *ist D.
This is true.
06-02-2010, 05:30 AM   #36

Very interesting survey. Thanks so much for doing this.

I'm just curious why FA35/2 was not on any of the lists.

It seems that the Pentax lens designer and manufacturer should have a look at this survey.
06-02-2010, 05:50 AM   #37

soccer mom's?...

Hey, the Kx is my first DSLR, but I'm not new to photography! I resent being lumped with "...soccer moms and Japanese schoolgirls..."!!

Interesting survey, but as you said in your summary, I missed being able to point out that I chose a third-party alternative (used Sigma 100-300 f/5.6-6.7).

Thanks!

06-02-2010, 05:50 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Very useful survey for lens buying decision. I am glad I participated. Some thoughts:
a) The FA 31 mm was tops in more than one category. Simply because it is closer to the standard 50 mm most of us owned as SLR users. Then in the back of our minds we know its usefulness in a futuristic Full Frame DSLR by Pentax.
A simple reason why I have desisted from buying DA lenses. I mostly use older AF, K and M42 lenses.
b) The voyeuristic and faddist in all of us make us go for the longest zoom lens, when as tourist who has visited the 4-continents, I know the most useful lens is the super wide zoom like the 12-24 or 10-20. My old Pentax AF 28-200 serves me well for that occasional telephoto needs. I just boost the contrast on my K20D when using this lens.
c) Always desired the 16-50 (once owned a Sigma 28-70 2.8 for my MZ-50 - sold as it was too soft) but kept away due to SDM failure & other minor issues. So expressed my desire for SDM overide thru the std shaft drive in the survev.
d) The survey reinforced my view that my K20D continues to be the best in the world considering the paltry $ 770 I paid B&H. It is an awesome instrument in the hands of the enthusiast. I have got it wet in water falls and thunder storms and still went on shooting when many Canikonners packed up.
06-02-2010, 05:53 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just a Thought

I think that it would have been interesting to include what sort of 3rd party lenses people use most frequently. I have 3 Tamrons, an 18-200 which stays on the camera and is my walk-around lens, a promaster 70-300 ( also made by Tamron), and a 10-24 Tamron. This gives me a pretty fair range for travel photography. Just wonder what other people use.
06-02-2010, 06:06 AM   #40
Forum Member

I can shed some light on the question on lack of representation of entry level camera owners in the survey. We did not lose interest in the hobby as postulated but the reality is that some, maybe most of us do not have a single pentax lens to our name. I usually buy my lens off ebay and find that pentax lens to be terribly over priced as compared to others, even used. And as entry level photographers we are reluctant to shell out that kind of cash on a hobby. I also ditto kxbirds remarks as I have been in photography a long time and am certainly not a soccer mom or school girl, Japanese or otherwise.

I like photography, but I do not have a LBA I bought my camera (200d) used and as a body only. My first lens was a used Sigma followed by a used Tamron.

I am greatly interested in this survey from a future purchase point of view but not as a participant. Thanks for doing the survey.
06-02-2010, 06:17 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ccat Quote
I can shed some light on the question on lack of representation of entry level camera owners in the survey. We did not lose interest in the hobby as postulated but the reality is that some, maybe most of us do not have a single pentax lens to our name. I usually buy my lens off ebay and find that pentax lens to be terribly over priced as compared to others, even used. And as entry level photographers we are reluctant to shell out that kind of cash on a hobby. I also ditto kxbirds remarks as I have been in photography a long time and am certainly not a soccer mom or school girl, Japanese or otherwise.

I like photography, but I do not have a LBA I bought my camera (200d) used and as a body only. My first lens was a used Sigma followed by a used Tamron.

I am greatly interested in this survey from a future purchase point of view but not as a participant. Thanks for doing the survey.
Just to be clear, the remark about soccer moms and schoolgirls is by no means meant as an insult to entry-level photographers (everyone used to be one at some point). It was more irony towards people who like to laugh at the K-x because of its colors.
06-02-2010, 06:19 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks guys

Excellent work. Can't say that the results surprise me much. And much to chew on. One point, I was one of the ones who said that the 12-24 could use an upgrade, I was thinking more of getting a bit faster to maybe F2.8(yeah I know the lens would get huge)
My only niggle is that there is no info on the lesser known lenses, FA 20mm F2.8 for instance or the FA 20-35 F4.0.
I was also one of those who have more than one "favorite" lens. I have a favorite in many different categories. There is not much comparison between a DA * 300mm and a FA 20mm, yet both can be "favorites" for that particular kind of shooting.

NaCl(if there is a next time maybe a "favorite in it's class" )H2O
06-02-2010, 06:23 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
One last item: When we look at the camera listings, one thing seems odd. The enthusiast bodies (K10D, K20D and the K-7) are ranked from oldest to newest. However, the four most commonly owned entry-level bodies (K-x, K200D, K100D and * ist DS) are ranked from newest to oldest. Do owners of entry-level bodies lose interest in their hobby faster?
Ccat makes a good point - plus some of us enthusiasts do not feel the need to buy the most expensive camera available.

I think one aspect of this result is the rapid development of digital technology. The K-x from an image perspective may beat all earlier high end bodies, especially at high ISO, and thus makes a good upgrade from an earlier 'entry level' camera.

On the higher priced side, perhaps someone shelling out good money for a top camera is likely to hold onto it longer as well.

Thanks for doing all the good work!
06-02-2010, 07:30 AM   #44
Banned

Great survey. I entered my opinions and it's good to see them back here. I have de DA*55mm lens and it is a lovely lens. Try to get one for a test or buy it. I also have rescently bought a FA*85mm/f1.4 lens and it is even a tiny bit better then the DA*55mm. Bringing out a nem 85mm lens would be great for Pentax users (it could be a DA*85mm/f1.4 or a cheaper DAL85mm/f2) to have it for choice.
06-02-2010, 07:51 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBirds Quote
Hey, the Kx is my first DSLR, but I'm not new to photography! I resent being lumped with "...soccer moms and Japanese schoolgirls..."!!

Interesting survey, but as you said in your summary, I missed being able to point out that I chose a third-party alternative (used Sigma 100-300 f/5.6-6.7).

Thanks!
You won't be, only if you have a black K-x..colored ones and you fall in the same category..LOL