Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2010, 12:01 PM   #1

FA 35mm vs DA 35mm limited for landscape

Thinking about trying a 35mm lens with my K7 and have debating on either getting the FA35 mm which got a very high rating for sharpness across the image area on photozone website at f4, f5.6 where as there review of the 35mm limited was not as good.
Any thoughts???
Thanks
Steven

05-31-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the FA would be better, as the DA is designed for macro while the FA is designed for landscapes.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-31-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Have u considered the FA 31mm?

Better FOV, better quality...
05-31-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kuau Quote
Thinking about trying a 35mm lens with my K7 and have debating on either getting the FA35 mm which got a very high rating for sharpness across the image area on photozone website at f4, f5.6 where as there review of the 35mm limited was not as good.
Any thoughts???
Thanks
Steven
Well, how many landscape shots do you plan to shoot at f/5.6 and below?

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think the FA would be better, as the DA is designed for macro while the FA is designed for landscapes.
The DA can do macro in addition to various other types of photos
NED BUNNELL: DA 35mm Macro - A Year Later

QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote

Or maybe not. Not everyone will prefer to go wider.

I had the FA 35, and I think it's a very good lens. I did, however, sell it to buy a DA 35. I feel being able to shoot a landscape and also get right up to a small portion of it for a close up. The metal build of the DA Limited lenses is really great, too.

Either way, you're going to get a quality lens. It's a crying shame that Pentax offers us such tough decisions (FA 35 vs. DA 35, DA 70 vs. FA 77, FA 43 vs. FA 50, 12-24 vs. DA 15) :P

05-31-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Any thoughts???
Thanks
Steven
What are you going to take pictures of? I really think they ought to shitcan the Photozone reviews. Get the lens that you are going to get the most use out of and don't worry about reading charts.

DA35mm Limited - a set on Flickr

....and Yes, I did own the FA35. Someone in Europe is using it now thanks to the PF Marketplace..

05-31-2010, 02:52 PM   #6

Any thoughts???
Thanks
Steven
Didnt have the FA35, but the DA35 is perfect for landscapes. There is plenty of sharpness. Plus its cheaper, has close focus and a buit-in hood. Manual focusing is optimized for close focus distances - that is the only "minus".
05-31-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
Forum Member

Personally, I would go with the 35mm lim macro just because it is a macro and can go dual purpose when I want to pack light.

05-31-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote

I would agree with this suggestion.
Those 4mm do make difference if you want to include bit more of the foreground.
Personally 31+50 is great combo.

QuoteOriginally posted by Thrasis Quote
Personally, I would go with the 35mm lim macro just because it is a macro and can go dual purpose when I want to pack light.
If however you decide to go for one lens only then based on the functionality I believe the DA35ltd would win it as outdoor lens. Landscape/marco lens would be very desirable, and you don't need superfast AF for landscapes....
05-31-2010, 03:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Any thoughts???
Thanks
Steven
for landscapes you might wanna get a manual focus prime 35mm is perfect, M42 or Kmounted.
05-31-2010, 04:31 PM   #10
Inactive Account

The DA35 is a superb landscape lens, and the ability to do macro is fun now and then too. Combined with the K7's beautiful viewfinder, manual focus is a breeze. In fact I manual focus mine 100% of the time now. The short throw took a little getting used to, but I actually love that aspect of it now. Fabulous lens.
05-31-2010, 04:51 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks everyone,
well lets see, besides Adam favoring the FA 35mm everyone else feels the DA 35mm is the way to go.
Used FA's are gong for 350 and up where as the DA is $539.00 at B&H hmmm.
05-31-2010, 04:55 PM   #12
Site Supporter

I use Photozone as a guide. However, it is only one. Some of their tests are suspect. Especially this comparison because the stop at f8 on the FA. Plus, they don't test the DA as a macro lens. Regardless, the numbers are close enough that I would be willing to bet that if a sample of 10 of each lens was tested, the wouldn't be statistically different regarding these charts.

05-31-2010, 05:06 PM   #13
Site Supporter

My primary use for it is closeup and macro. However, I have no reservations about using it for things like this.

05-31-2010, 05:13 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I use Photozone as a guide. However, it is only one. Some of their tests are suspect. Especially this comparison because the stop at f8 on the FA. Plus, they don't test the DA as a macro lens. Regardless, the numbers are close enough that I would be willing to bet that if a sample of 10 of each lens was tested, the wouldn't be statistically different regarding these charts.

Since I was not really concerned about macro performance anyways, I was looking at the corner numbers at f5.6 when comparing the 2 lenses, The FA corners are rater "excellent" where as the DA corners are rated as "very good"
Any thoughts on what the difference is?
05-31-2010, 05:16 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Its pretty good at this sort of thing to.

Sad Sedan:

Old Crypt:

Hand Held Macro (no flash):