Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2010, 09:07 PM   #1

SMC FA 50mm F1.4 prime can't focus past 15ft?

This might be a bit of a noob question, so please bear with me.

I've owned a 50mm prime for a couple of years now, and absolutely love it ... except one little issue: I can't make it focus at points beyond approximately 15 feet away.

Even at F22, I can't seem to get an "infinite" focus, which makes me wonder if the glass is misaligned. In AF, the camera will turn the focus ring to the point where the front glass seems to knock itself to the side slightly, as if it shouldn't be going that far (which adds to my suspicion).

Does anyone else with a smc FA 50mm prime have a similar experience? Is this expected behaviour, or did I get a dud?

Many thanks,
A New Guy

05-31-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like a dud to me. Better send to a repair shop to check it out. Actually it's an easy fix, I think you probably can do it yourself if you know how.
05-31-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Sounds like a dud to me. Better send to a repair shop to check it out. Actually it's an easy fix, I think you probably can do it yourself if you know how.
Hi Frank - do you remember I had exactly the same problem with a FA50 f/1.7?

Not only did that guy in the basement of Adelphi fail to fix it, but Kelvin the Pentax service man took it apart and put it back together, and still the problem persists.

It's weird that the OP has the same 'syndrome'!

Anyway the only advice to the OP is to take it to a lens repair guy and try to have it fixed. I assume that if you manually focus the lens to infinity according to the marking it is still only focusing to a short distance in reality.
There must be some explanation - maybe it applies to both lenses.
05-31-2010, 11:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timo Quote
Hi Frank - do you remember I had exactly the same problem with a FA50 f/1.7?

Not only did that guy in the basement of Adelphi fail to fix it, but Kelvin the Pentax service man took it apart and put it back together, and still the problem persists.

It's weird that the OP has the same 'syndrome'!

Anyway the only advice to the OP is to take it to a lens repair guy and try to have it fixed. I assume that if you manually focus the lens to infinity according to the marking it is still only focusing to a short distance in reality.
There must be some explanation - maybe it applies to both lenses.
Yeah, I remember yours. Sorry to hear that it's still not been fixed yet.

I've done adjustment on a couple of manual 50mm lenses, but never done any AF ones ...

06-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for your feedback everyone. I've handed the lens in for repair at Photo-tronics in Seattle, and should have it back in a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, I'm going to go have fun with my shiny new 50-135 F2.8